What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:My friend is very good at weld writing. Not as complicated, but she gets the style right. (Kind of like a sledgehammer in a velvet bag) Sorry for stealing your photo Renee, if you ever see this, (Don't bash me)
I NEED that, to give to my wife. It would be priceless, and she'd certainly hang it in a place of honor. Probably across from the toilet, so she can admire it while having a poo...
Any man who has not made that apology either "hasn't" been married long, or "wasn't"

Steve S.
ProtectWelding
    Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:54 pm

I try it today but without success. The Idea with the torch is good....
But when I tig that with Stainless steel Filler rod 1.431 (Steel number) and 8mm thick Stainless the Puddle are dark and had no colours. Is it to hot or what is my Problem? I am to slow?
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

ProtectWelding wrote:I try it today but without success. The Idea with the torch is good....
But when I tig that with Stainless steel Filler rod 1.431 (Steel number) and 8mm thick Stainless the Puddle are dark and had no colours. Is it to hot or what is my Problem? I am to slow?
You will get better color from mild. SS overheats too fast and turns black. These guys are micro-torching this stuff...no matter what answer they give to a question.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Aronexus also just responded and he uses a while lit of different cups and flow rates to get color in stainless
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Be careful fellas. We done want to turn this into an internet forum. Unless you have had a go, using the equipment these people use, you don't know. Full stop. Don't make statements you cant quantify.
exnailpounder

weldin mike 27 wrote:Be careful fellas. We done want to turn this into an internet forum. Unless you have had a go, using the equipment these people use, you don't know. Full stop. Don't make statements you cant quantify.
Challenge accepted!
20170419_085101.jpg
20170419_085101.jpg (86.92 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
Here is analogy of my attempt. This just padding beads on 3/16" MS...not worried about making pretty welds... just trying all amperages, different gas flows, different travel speeds, different filler materials, letting it cool between passes, quenching...etc.. Anything I could think of to control heat and color. ER70 S2 had no color. I tried 347 SS...little bit of color, 309..little bit of color, 316..little bit of color.. 317...little bit of color..Color is achievable but is not controllable in any way, at least with what I tried. The flash washed out what little color was there but the SS fillers showed way more color than MS filler did but still nothing close to the fabulous colors those artists achieve. The micro torch theory is sounding a little more plausible.
ProtectWelding

Hey Welders
I try it today with sucess, I am tig it with 140 AMP using a 1.431 Filler rod and the plate as Carbon Steel...and look the Colours comes with the first puddle, but Subsequently puddles cloured grey like the Picture of Pounder....to much heat. I try it tomorrow again und take a Photo.
ProtectWelding

First trys with success
20170420_204549.jpg
20170420_204549.jpg (59.68 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
20170420_202758.jpg
20170420_202758.jpg (47.29 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
I Tig it with

2,4mm Electrode
1,6mm 301S21 stainless Rod
140-150 amp
exnailpounder

Color is doable but it's not controllable. Heat that plate up and that color will fade right out. Jeweler's torch. ;)