What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
ProtectWelding
    Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Hey Guys,
I would something say over my Person, i am 24 years young and in a education as Locksmith/Welder from Germany.
In this education i have the first contact with welding.... and now i love this job.

The following pictures shows art welding and i ask you is it possible and realistic to produce??!
If you say it is, please show me how. I work to get similar Results but with not enough success.
welding-art-dickwally-richard-laut-1.jpg
welding-art-dickwally-richard-laut-1.jpg (198.24 KiB) Viewed 1731 times

Steel Thickness?(=Stainless Steel)
Welding Process?(wig, tig, electrode)
The Settings of the Welding machine?
How get i this crazy Colors?

Pls Help if you have ideas, the Project would like a Present for my Bro.
Attachments
IMG_5384__880.jpg
IMG_5384__880.jpg (138.8 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome aboard! There's a fellow on Instagram who does this, and makes incredible pieces. I have no idea what his process is, but he achieves excellent color control.

So, short answer, this stuff is real and can be done, but I can't advise you as to how.

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I believe that it was polished to a high shine and then the color was added using a micro oxy/acetylene torch.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Yea the man is Arronexus.

Yup to getting it down. Learn to control the hell out of the foot pedal and learn to control the puddle with the filler rod and watching the puddle.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Poland308 wrote:I believe that it was polished to a high shine and then the color was added using a micro oxy/acetylene torch.
I agree with Josh here. Look at the blended shading around the corners of the eyes by the nose on the cat and the blended shading on both pieces everywhere....good luck tigging that.
Last edited by exnailpounder on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Farmwelding

Jody had a video entitled tig welding batman that is similar to this that could help get you started
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
Farmwelding

So I asked Mr dabswellington o Instagram and he said all his is tig and only tig. Here is his most recent work
Attachments
image.png
image.png (708.24 KiB) Viewed 1706 times
Nick
ProtectWelding

Thank you for all the Answers!

@ Poland : I had the same idea with a torch to get the Colours.... welding than i clear the Steel Surface but dont polish it.
than I take a torch an get heat in the welding puddle, the colour are there but no so Strong and crazy like in the Pictures :(
you mean if i polish it I had a better result?

What you think also, he works only with Tig or Help to get this colour with a torch? Today I am at work and try it with polish and torch.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

My friend is very good at weld writing. Not as complicated, but she gets the style right. (Kind of like a sledgehammer in a velvet bag) Sorry for stealing your photo Renee, if you ever see this, (Don't bash me)
Attachments
13754646_10209637098153802_7408207342514890877_n.jpg
13754646_10209637098153802_7408207342514890877_n.jpg (74.9 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
exnailpounder

Farmwelding wrote:So I asked Mr dabswellington o Instagram and he said all his is tig and only tig. Here is his most recent work
His work doesn't show the uniform shading that the other 2 examples show so I believe Josh nailed it. Shaded with a jewelers torch.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:My friend is very good at weld writing. Not as complicated, but she gets the style right. (Kind of like a sledgehammer in a velvet bag) Sorry for stealing your photo Renee, if you ever see this, (Don't bash me)
I NEED that, to give to my wife. It would be priceless, and she'd certainly hang it in a place of honor. Probably across from the toilet, so she can admire it while having a poo...
Any man who has not made that apology either "hasn't" been married long, or "wasn't"

Steve S.
ProtectWelding

I try it today but without success. The Idea with the torch is good....
But when I tig that with Stainless steel Filler rod 1.431 (Steel number) and 8mm thick Stainless the Puddle are dark and had no colours. Is it to hot or what is my Problem? I am to slow?
exnailpounder

ProtectWelding wrote:I try it today but without success. The Idea with the torch is good....
But when I tig that with Stainless steel Filler rod 1.431 (Steel number) and 8mm thick Stainless the Puddle are dark and had no colours. Is it to hot or what is my Problem? I am to slow?
You will get better color from mild. SS overheats too fast and turns black. These guys are micro-torching this stuff...no matter what answer they give to a question.
Farmwelding

Aronexus also just responded and he uses a while lit of different cups and flow rates to get color in stainless
Nick
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Be careful fellas. We done want to turn this into an internet forum. Unless you have had a go, using the equipment these people use, you don't know. Full stop. Don't make statements you cant quantify.
exnailpounder

weldin mike 27 wrote:Be careful fellas. We done want to turn this into an internet forum. Unless you have had a go, using the equipment these people use, you don't know. Full stop. Don't make statements you cant quantify.
Challenge accepted!
20170419_085101.jpg
20170419_085101.jpg (86.92 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Here is analogy of my attempt. This just padding beads on 3/16" MS...not worried about making pretty welds... just trying all amperages, different gas flows, different travel speeds, different filler materials, letting it cool between passes, quenching...etc.. Anything I could think of to control heat and color. ER70 S2 had no color. I tried 347 SS...little bit of color, 309..little bit of color, 316..little bit of color.. 317...little bit of color..Color is achievable but is not controllable in any way, at least with what I tried. The flash washed out what little color was there but the SS fillers showed way more color than MS filler did but still nothing close to the fabulous colors those artists achieve. The micro torch theory is sounding a little more plausible.
ProtectWelding

Hey Welders
I try it today with sucess, I am tig it with 140 AMP using a 1.431 Filler rod and the plate as Carbon Steel...and look the Colours comes with the first puddle, but Subsequently puddles cloured grey like the Picture of Pounder....to much heat. I try it tomorrow again und take a Photo.
ProtectWelding

First trys with success
20170420_204549.jpg
20170420_204549.jpg (59.68 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
20170420_202758.jpg
20170420_202758.jpg (47.29 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
I Tig it with

2,4mm Electrode
1,6mm 301S21 stainless Rod
140-150 amp
exnailpounder

Color is doable but it's not controllable. Heat that plate up and that color will fade right out. Jeweler's torch. ;)