What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Rafe
    Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:19 am

Hi. I am new to this site and not quite sure what part of the forum I should post this question. Thought I would try here first.

I am making some decorative boxes out of 16 gauge mild steel about 24" x 24" x 6". Often times they have to sit in my shop
for some time before they go to there powder coater. Here in hot and humid Georgia they almost immediately begin to rust.
Just looking for temporary solution that is easy and easy to clean up before they go for finishing. Thanks
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You ca wipe them down after welding with a light oil, Kroil or Marvel Myster Oil work well. The powder coater will undoubtedly blast them clean anyway. Even the light flash rusting won't be an issue for him. You could also dip them in Metal Rescue to help treat them or for prolonged storage, Penetrol Flood works well.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

A spray of inox is pretty good, dries and leaves a protective film that lasts a while.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I had the same problem with not only materials but any unplated tools and shop fixtures during hot, humid spells. The solution was to keep the shop closed up as much as possible and install a de-humidifier. Fasten a pleated furnace filter ( not the cheapo spun fiberglass crap) of Merv 6 or higher over the inlet side of the unit and set for 50% humidity and problem solved. Keep a humidistat in the shop to monitor levels and you will soon see how to keep it under control and you will be more comfy too. :D :geek:
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Save the trouble with spraying and cleaning and get some Zerust bags, or any other brand with VCI 2000 on the inside. Will protect a long time as long as the bag is closed and the metal is dry when you put them in.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hell, non-stick cooking spray will protect the parts for cheap. An acetone wipe or two will clean it right off.

Steve
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Steve, Didn't you use camphor for this purpose?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:Steve, Didn't you use camphor for this purpose?
I did not. I did share this idea from a friend. It was his trick for keeping his tools from rusting at a shipyard.

Steve
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Fair enough.So...do you think it works?
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

If you search camphor it does mention among other things to inhibit rust. Mabey those boxes could be put in big garbage bags with some camphor or as I do in storage boxes kitty litter in a sock . Perhaps a bag of rice might also work? I usually build bigger things - trailers etc. hence the dehumidifier for the whole shop. :idea: :geek:
Mihtu
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:01 am

I use a product from KBS called rust blast,works awsome,an it I'd part of their paint system,super durable paint also,this is not a promotion just a product I use all the time,it will convert rust an also protect from rust I use it when I water blast,lasts for a week of longer
Mihtu
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:01 am

KBS,rust blast,it's part of their paint system which is amazing stuff,super durable,it will convert already rusted metal,or keep metal from rusting,I use it after I water blast,usually last a couple weeks,good stuff,this is not a promotion just a product I use all the time