What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Invertedflier
    Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:41 pm

I have googled til I'm blue in the face on this subject. No joy.
Paying a lot for this gate. I'm putting on 1x6x8 redwood. I'm questioning the seam in the middle rail. How structurally sound is it? Tubes are 2x2 1/8.
also wondering about doing a brushed steel finish. Will it show?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_6775.JPG
IMG_6775.JPG (126.29 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
IMG_4085.PNG
IMG_4085.PNG (1.12 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Welcome to the forum!

Structural stability depends on what forces will be applied and in which direction. From the picture i'm guessing you plan to mount the 1x6x8s along the long surface of the frame. If the hinge will mount along the left or right side, i'd be concerned about the weight pulling the non-hinge side downward.

Are you building this yourself? Paying someone else to build it?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

You need to put in two diagonal braces or it will sag under its own weight in time.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Invertedflier

Thanks for your reponses. I'm paying $2250 for this pitiful frame and 2 4x4 1/4 posts set in concrete. (not even powdercoated) I am installing the redwood at my expense. I asked for a latch to be welded until my auto opener is installed. He said I could just put a chain on it. (That won't happen!) I asked for simple brackets to be tacked on either side of posts to attach wood rails. 4 total. He said no. He did'nt even go down 3' like I requested for the posts. He has rushed this job. Made the gate in 2 hours. And it looks it. I am making quite a few demands. Either does them all or he's stuck with it.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Invertedflier wrote:Thanks for your reponses. I'm paying $2250 for this pitiful frame and 2 4x4 1/4 posts set in concrete. (not even powdercoated) I am installing the redwood at my expense. I asked for a latch to be welded until my auto opener is installed. He said I could just put a chain on it. (That won't happen!) I asked for simple brackets to be tacked on either side of posts to attach wood rails. 4 total. He said no. He did'nt even go down 3' like I requested for the posts. He has rushed this job. Made the gate in 2 hours. And it looks it. I am making quite a few demands. Either does them all or he's stuck with it.
You're getting screwed, top to bottom. I don't generally disparage what people charge for their work, but this is outlandish.

If that price ($2,250) is for the (2) 4x4 posts, the fence frame and the labor, you ought to tell him to walk. Pay him for the material and tell him to have a nice day.

Setting metal tubing in concrete will rust it completely through within a very short time. No 2 ways about that. A "brushed metal finish" will not protect the frame, so that needs to be a powder coat, epoxy paint, or buffed and coated result. You don't need to bury posts 3' unless there's a specific code requirement for that based upon frost line or load, or height of the above ground structure.

Now, if you are changing the "scope of the project" on him, that's on you. Adding features, enhancements, etc after an agreed Project Scope is rightfully met with either a mutual agreement (sometimes a fee, sometimes free) or a "decline". It sounds as though the whole project is poorly thought through, and you are not happy with the quality of the work. Best you and the contractor simply agree to terminate the project, pay him for the raw materials, and politely leave. Then re-hire or build the thing yourself.

Your profile says you MIG weld, so this is a VERY easy project for you to undertake on your own (physical abilities and workspace allowable). I would have used angle iron on the middle rail so you can drill holes through it to secure the fence planks to it for greater rigidity.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Invertedflier wrote:...until my auto opener is installed.
Sometimes those electric gates have casters- is that part of the plan?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I totally agree with cj737's first sentence and also those posts poured in will rot off in no time especially if not at least concrete filled and capped. If you are in a frost prone area the post will fill with water and split if not filled. The joint in the cross tube will be fine if properly welded but who knows as obviously this guy isn't a great craftsman. The hinge post will have a lot of stress on it with a gate that may weigh 2-300lbs and if its just freestanding and sunk in a post hole with a bit of premix around it will not support that gate. At least one diagonal from bottom hinge end to top opening end should keep the gate itself from sagging as long as the hinged post holds. If I was doing this for myself I would pour a good secure concrete pier anchored to a base to above grade with poured in anchor bolts and fabricate the hinge post with a drilled base plate with gusset supports. For the kind of money asked that's more like what you should expect at least. Perhaps you could take a scenic tour one day and look for similar gates and check out the ones that are done right and stood the test of time to get ideas. I was a construction contractor for1/2 my lifespan and I have done that when I wasn't sure of something and many times have spotted something some thinking person had worked out that gave the clue. Good luck. ;) :geek:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I think the point's been well made that this "builder" doesn't know his arse from his elbow, and you would do well to run him off. The price is ridiculous for the work delivered.

If that's a swing gate, yes, it needs diagonal bracing. I prefer (for a single rack brace) to run it from the top of the hinge side to the bottom of the latch side, as steel is stronger in tension than compression. If it's a rolling gate, and the latch side will be wheeled, it's not an issue. The gate will serve as it's own suspension spring for the wheels rolling over rocks, etc.

I think almost anyone here could build and install a far better gate for less money. For top-quality, and stainless steel posts, (and a willingness to throw in the minor extras you requested) his price might have been more appropriate. I think, If it were my job, that price would have gotten the redwood installed and finished.

Good luck getting satisfaction on this!

Steve
Invertedflier

Thanks for all replies. Told him to take gate or I'd pay $300 for materials. He took the money and I have the gate. I had him tack on diagonals and brackets so no holes have to be drilled at all. 4x4 1/4 steel posts are fine in concrete. I've had them for over 30 years at my ranch gate so I'm not gonna worry about those right now. I'll be 6 ft under before they're rusted out.

Glad you got it squared away. I'm betting you can finish it out much better than your former alleged welder would have. Well done.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch