What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Popeye the old miner
    Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 pm

I like your fire pit the welds look good to me, its not gonna fall apart and you did it yourself, so you accomplished your goal, and that's good. A little tip...any welder who is worth his salt will find something wrong with his own weld...a weee bit of undercut here, a small piece of slag stuck fast there, a ripple that's not quite the same size as the rest of them....if its for yourself it don't matter as long as its functional and stays together.

I rebuild mining machinery out in the boonies...that rock and dirt don't give a hoot what my weld looks like, as long as it stays together that rock and dirt will wear it off smooth and make it look real pretty in 2 days. as long as that guy running that shovel has a shovel to dig with he wont say squat about what my weld looks like...if it breaks 2 days after I weld it I will never hear the end of it. It took me a few months to realize that and then Old Owen told me not to worry about the little stuff, I would spend an hour makin stuff look pretty to suit myself when it wasn't necessary and stressed out over it. These days after 30 years of it I will make a decent looking weld kick myself in the butt over a ripple or 2 and move on to the next one...and guess what? Its stays on the bucket until it wears off paper thin and its time to replace it.

Good job and enjoy the fire...cook up some steaks and enjoy em
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Popeye the old miner wrote:I like your fire pit the welds look good to me, its not gonna fall apart and you did it yourself, so you accomplished your goal, and that's good. A little tip...any welder who is worth his salt will find something wrong with his own weld...a weee bit of undercut here, a small piece of slag stuck fast there, a ripple that's not quite the same size as the rest of them....if its for yourself it don't matter as long as its functional and stays together.

I rebuild mining machinery out in the boonies...that rock and dirt don't give a hoot what my weld looks like, as long as it stays together that rock and dirt will wear it off smooth and make it look real pretty in 2 days. as long as that guy running that shovel has a shovel to dig with he wont say squat about what my weld looks like...if it breaks 2 days after I weld it I will never hear the end of it. It took me a few months to realize that and then Old Owen told me not to worry about the little stuff, I would spend an hour makin stuff look pretty to suit myself when it wasn't necessary and stressed out over it. These days after 30 years of it I will make a decent looking weld kick myself in the butt over a ripple or 2 and move on to the next one...and guess what? Its stays on the bucket until it wears off paper thin and its time to replace it.

Good job and enjoy the fire...cook up some steaks and enjoy em
Thanks for the encouragement Popeye! And that is basically how I am looking at this project too. It works and I made it!
Ant428
    Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:22 am

Nice job. Im sure it was fun to build!