What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
nam2000
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:18 am

Sounds plausible. The beam was said to have been around for a while. But does shitty old mild steel develop orange skin like in my first picture?
Coldman wrote:Look in the crack, it's old meaning you didn't do it. What you have is an old very rusty abused and @&itty piece of mild steel.

Sent using Tapatalk
nam2000

homeboy wrote:Search - http://www.scrapmetaljunkie.com spark test - and they have some clear pictures of several spark tests on various metals plus other info. From the look of their pictures compared to yours the closest would be tool steel! Would that be possible in an I beam? If so could it be for a special purpose? I had 2 beams that I got many years ago from an old, small backroad bridge that was dismantled that had a similar profile. :?
I'll try to do a welding test over the weekend. Thanks for that link, the spark test 'poster' is there nice.

I'm still puzzled about the material, thinking about how much it shattered the edges of the brand new cutting disc, when I separated it for transport.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

nam2000 wrote:Sounds plausible. The beam was said to have been around for a while. But does shitty old mild steel develop orange skin like in my first picture?
Coldman wrote:Look in the crack, it's old meaning you didn't do it. What you have is an old very rusty abused and @&itty piece of mild steel.

Sent using Tapatalk
Yes! Especially if it was a salt based corrosion.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

One of the uses we had for these beams was to hang one on the end of the cable of my 60ft crane and with 4 or 5 guys to swing it to use it as a battering ram to bust up concrete walls or whatever else needed to be demolished. I never thought much of it but after a lot of beating over years the beam ends were still pretty much intact. Must have been pretty good stuff certainly better than mild steel I would think. :geek:
nam2000

Whatever it is, I did a little test with ER70 (S6) and looks good, no cracks or porosity. So I'll proceed and be on the watch for old cracks. Thanks everyone for the input!
Poland308 wrote:
nam2000 wrote:Sounds plausible. The beam was said to have been around for a while. But does shitty old mild steel develop orange skin like in my first picture?

Sent using Tapatalk
Yes! Especially if it was a salt based corrosion.