What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
ODIS
  • ODIS
    Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:36 pm

My new project is for a log skidder/ boom arm for the 3 pt hitch on my tractor. I am using 3" heavy walled sq tubing.

I have the 25" cross piece all capped and am ready to weld the upright too it. Should I notch the end of the upright or could I get by with filling in the gap from the rounded corners and grinding flat and welding in splints that are about six inches long. All I have for notching is a grinder and I have not been able to cut notches in the past that would lead me to believe that I could get the kind of strength for something like this. I will be using it to lift and drag logs of course but also lifting and moving other heavy stuff like my rotary mower and plow blades.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Give this video a watch and see if it doesn't help your technique-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHBanmf ... mdFavcfzKw
ODIS
  • ODIS

cj737 wrote:Give this video a watch and see if it doesn't help your technique-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHBanmf ... mdFavcfzKw
I've watched that video before, I'm just curious if doing that would be necessary with heavy walled square tubing. I invision one side not being the same as the other. By the way thanks for the response.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Well to answer your original question... I see no issue filling the rounded corners with weld versus a coped cut. OBVIOUSLY you need to allow for venting when you weld it close. I tend to weld the top of the upright closed, then move to the bottom. That allows the gas/heat from the lower weld to fill the chamber vertically and provide me more time to close the weld (if I'm fast enough) before blowing out.

Make any sense?
ODIS
  • ODIS

Yes that makes sense, I will end up cutting 2 strips of 1/4" 6" long and splint front and back for extra reinforcement.