What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Dutch
    Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Lately you see alot of cheap Flux only welders, I have found they do come in handy for small jobs.

I have a Lincoln Electric Weld Pack HD Feed Welder

I would like to know if you could change them to run as a MIG with Shieled gas. I did want to do some small Stainless jobs but finding Stainless Flux core is another storey.

I did contact lincoln about changing the Gun but they told me there was no enterchangable gun made.

I remember back when I still worked the Miller 250 I ran had a Hobart wire feed with an adaptor to fit a Miller Gun.

Bottom line I have one Stainless job I want to do, should take me about 3 days to fab all the pipe/tube. I want to weld a frame out of 3/4 and 1" 316 stainless Tubing but do not want to go buy another welder.

Dutch
rickbreeezy
    Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:33 pm

I know that someone up here must have more knowledge than I when it comes to mgyvering up buzz boxes. But one obvious, though perhaps last ditch effort solution, would be to simply attach a hose(connected to a gas bottle of course) onto you'r wire feed handle, turn the gas on, and let it run like that. But i'll bet that would eat up plenty of gas too.

I hope someone else knows more about this,

-Rick
Dutch

Thank you Rick,

LOL so you see my point that they could easy make them run with Gas but just dont make the adaptor.

I thought someone would reply with just machine a adaptor myself.
I did think of that but the cost to make myself is more than a cheap stick welder for this small job I have.

By the way some one at some time did make a Flux Core Stainless wire but I sure can not find it anymore. ( this is not the Duel Shield some may think of)

Dutch
rickbreeezy
    Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:33 pm

I personally have never seen a flux cored SS wire. Possibly you could use a large sized SS stick rod?
john.pruette

i don't mean to be an Ahole but (millermatic 135) at 600+$ i know it's not cheap but it's not bad and thats everything but the gas
Dutch

First off Thank you for your input.

I wrote the post for anumber of reasons.

I now Live on a boat so storage is limited. A welder is a must have tool due to you can fix anything so I got the first welder because of the compac size and to be honest the Mild steel limit did not come to mind.

I did find the Whip Adaptors on line and cost is around $35. So I do still have some useful memery with my age.

I did not get the Adaptor because another person here at my Marina had a SP-135 Plus Lincoln Wire Feeder & MIG Welder that I got for $100.

Well Thank you all.

I will post some pic's of my frame work in a week or two.

Dutch