What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Would it make any sense to cut the plates 12in long and stack horizontally beveling each plate edge to stitch weld together as you built the stack? Each layer turned 90% to the last to lap all the joints and allowing perimeter stitch welds around each plate. Possible drill 2 holes aprox. 1/2in dia. on the center line of the plate staggered slightly so when the plates are stacked the holes don't line up with each other and plug weld also as you build. Going to take some time with grinding and tightly clamping each plate and cooling time as required :?: :roll:
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Could be worth asking about large solid with your supplier - over here you could certainly get round in that size & bigger supplied cut to length - including higher alloys that would last better under a hammer - maybe square if you really want it - if there are are any plant breakers around you it's worth looking for any counterweights off dead machines or piling hammer parts - I've had plenty of 6"> 8" anvil plates from hammers over the years we make formers etc out of when working on steam stuff.
MFleet
    Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:26 am

Harry72 wrote:Any reason for not buying a billet to use instead?
I was thinking the same thing. Where are you located Joe? One the local scrappers has a back corner with "the goodies" including a couple of pieces of round bar stock that would probably work for this. I just browsed a local suppliers website that has a surplus section. There was another piece there that could work.

Something else to consider is the tool foundation if you haven't covered that yet. This would probably go straight through my shop floor.
Miller 350P w/Python
Miller Syncrowave 250DX - Beaterwave project
Hypertherm Powermax65
Hobby class lathe and milling machine