What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
loving life
    Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone has had any previous experience with constructing a roll cage? If so what steel would be the best and which weld method? Cheers guys, Jordan.
rickbreeezy
    Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:33 pm

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/welding-4130.html

I think most roll cages are made from 4130 steel. Read the article above on it, its pretty good!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

4130 is the material of choice, for it's strength-to-weight ratio. It is common in airplanes for the same reason.

I recommend TIG, with 80S02 filler. The way it was explained to me is that 4130 filler is very sensitive and requires almost computer-like skills to get the rated strength without sharp "hardness zones". The strength profile across a 4130 joint with 80s02 filler is a fairly smooth transition across the HAZ for the skilled welder. The 80rod closely mimics 4130's properties.

I'm sorry I can't cite the article this information came from; It's been a while.

Steve
HREFAB
    Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:42 am

80SD2 is NOT the preferred rod to weld 4130 for a roll cage. Use ER70S2 which is the industry standard. There has been some talk lately of using the 80S, but it has more of a tendency to crack and therefore should not be used. VIrtually no one normalizes a 4130 weld in a roll cage so you want a rod that has strength but also some flexibility. 4130 cages have a life span as well and should periodically be examined for cracking or other signs of fatigue.

Another thought that is floating around the internet is to use Silicon Bronze to weld your cage. We had a big discussion on this and all came to the same conclusion that this was a very bad idea. YOu will even find some sanctioning bodies that will alow Silicon Bronze to be used in Cage construction. That in itself shows a lack of understanding about the welding process. Below are two small photos that should clearly open some eyes as to the usability of Silicon Bronze in any critical assembly.
Silicon Bronze Filler - No Clamping
Silicon Bronze Filler - No Clamping
siliconbronze.jpg (37.39 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
And regular ER70S2
ER70S2 - No Clamping
ER70S2 - No Clamping
ER70S2.jpg (33.46 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
One other thing that a lot of people miss. You will see a lot of very fine welding on roll cages. Beads that are almost invisible. This is wrong too. The tiny 'cosmetic' beads are the absolute worst way to weld a chassis. You want some support for the tubing and you won't get any of that with a tiny weld. CONVEX welds are the standard on all professionally build chassis so remember that when you go to make your cage.
Top Fuel Cage Detail
Top Fuel Cage Detail
topfuelcage.jpg (58.84 KiB) Viewed 3061 times