What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Should be the c6 trans. Pretty durable. Could upgrade to a newer auto. Or a 5 speed if you feel like rowing gears.
For i.p. and injectors, look into Conestoga diesel, r&d IDI performance, and there's a guy that goes by typ4 on some forums. Those 3 do better parts than you will get at the parts store.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Not sure how practical a newer auto would be as they will likely require a stand alone computer due to the 7.3 being mechanical injection - if it has a C6 in good shape I'd keep it - just change filter / fluid & maybe add a bigger cooler - I like the boom idea but the weight is adding up & will only increase as the amount of spares / tools accumulates ! I figure a 1ton is going to be on or past it's limits - that's why many service trucks start out with a heavier truck to allow for " upgrades " !
ollie81
    Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:55 am

thats an awesome truck! I bet it took a good while to put together? How long have you spent on it?

noddybrian wrote:Not sure how practical a newer auto would be as they will likely require a stand alone computer due to the 7.3 being mechanical injection - if it has a C6 in good shape I'd keep it - just change filter / fluid & maybe add a bigger cooler - I like the boom idea but the weight is adding up & will only increase as the amount of spares / tools accumulates ! I figure a 1ton is going to be on or past it's limits - that's why many service trucks start out with a heavier truck to allow for " upgrades " !
Correct. But they also ran the e40d behind the IDI. Which ran it's own computer.
But those standalone trans computers sure are nice. Offer way more tuning/control than stock. Lol
Wouldn't be a big ROI though, so I would understand leaving it be.

noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Right - I forgot they used the e4od behind the 7.3 - slightly surprised as it's not got a good reputation here with heavy use but I'm basing that on very limited experience as in the UK there are very few full size trucks around & of those Ford is the least popular - I ran one for a while but can't afford the fuel now - that was dead reliable - 460 with a C6 in front of NP205 & Dana 60's - towed all sorts with it - good truck - I doubt the OP will want to change much as it's simple & reliable now - what I've found is the more you change a truck from standard the bigger & more expensive the headaches get when it's broke ! I wish I'd figured " KISS " years ago - also jumping trucks & playing with them in the sea is bad but when your young it has to be done !

True there. Lol

Popeye the old miner
    Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 pm

ollie81 wrote:thats an awesome truck! I bet it took a good while to put together? How long have you spent on it?
Thank you, it took about 7 weeks to build, I built it last summer, needed to take some time off work for some other issues, stayed off til i got it done,its a long story.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Popeye, next time I'm in your neck of the woods (only God knows when that might be), we're going to have to cook something with that weed-burner, and throw back a beer or three.

Steve
Popeye the old miner
    Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Popeye, next time I'm in your neck of the woods (only God knows when that might be), we're going to have to cook something with that weed-burner, and throw back a beer or three.

Steve
Sounds like a great idea, there is quite a few deer around around here that need to be ate, and some snappin turtles and even a 450 pound bear we saw a few weeks ago out on a job we were workin on...only 30 feet away...big ol thing and very handsome...for a bear