It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:37 am Advanced search

Small welding table...

What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?

Small welding table...

Postby aland » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:29 am

Ok, we all need to figure out out work environment, and I really want to get a certiflat table or block, and build a cart base for out or tube, on casters...I don't want to shell the money out right now as I'm not working, so decided to modify a table i have.

I had a small 28" x 28" welding table, it was actually welded by a person I knew when he took a welding class, made out of 1-1/4" angle iron and 1/8" sheet on the top. I've used it in the past to set my propane forge on. I hate to admit it was outside for the past year as I needed the space...and of course the mild steel rusted pretty bad...but I got it cleaned up, and I cut the legs as it was 36" high, and for tig I would like it to be more desk height. so I can use a chair or stool and be comfortable.

So, I cut it down 10", which removed the leg supports, so now I'm welding some angle on the legs so I can attach casters to, and firm up the legs with cross supports.

Ultimately I want to get one of the certiflat tables/blocks and build a cart type cart for it with casters, but will use this for a bit.

I still need to weld a piece of pipe to use as a torch holder, and add a couple portable vises, maybe figure out an electrode holder or a cable holder, not sure yet. It is not intended to be a welding cart per se, and my plan is to use this table to build a welding cart. I hope to finish this up tomorrow, but ran into a couple snags. The biggest one was my angle grinder gave up the ghost. I tried taking it apart but not exactly sure, disc starts to spin but something is broken and once I start grinding, the wheel stops... :( Not to be blocked I used a hack saw to cut out the notches where the angle will fit together.

I plan to stick weld this using 7018, in case anyone is interested. I thought about using tig, but I think this is suitable for stick and I want more stick experience also. I have a couple important projects to use stick on.

Alan
Attachments
welding-table-cleaning-rust.jpg
It doesn't start out very pretty as I left it outside for over a year...:oops:
welding-table-cleaning-rust.jpg (74.44 KiB) Viewed 334 times
welding-table-cut-down-10-inches.jpg
It did clean up and I cut 10 inches off the legs, unfortunately it took the cross supports off.
welding-table-cut-down-10-inches.jpg (56.59 KiB) Viewed 334 times
welding-table-angle-cross-supports.jpg
new support for 2 bottom support for casters
welding-table-angle-cross-supports.jpg (75.48 KiB) Viewed 334 times
welding-table-old-school-notching.jpg
old school notching as angle grinder went belly up...:(
welding-table-old-school-notching.jpg (48.82 KiB) Viewed 334 times
Last edited by aland on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
aland
Guide

Re: Small welding table...

Postby tungstendipper » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:35 am

Looks good! So are you building this table so you can build your cart?
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter
3 old socks
tungstendipper
Guide

Postby aland » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:38 am

tungstendipper wrote:Looks good! So are you building this table so you can build your cart?

Yes, EXACTLY! I have most of the pieces cut for the cart, but really needed something to build it on, and be able to use for tig as well. I'm pretty limited on space, so need it on casters.

Kind of a chicken and egg 'thang...LOL

I may have confused you by saying I wanted to build a cart like base for the certiflat table, I just meant with casters. I plan to keep my welder and argon tank together with all the cables and torches.

I do still want some type of support for cables I can use to hold from above to keep them up off the table...(if possible :roll:)

EDIT: I also would like to build some type of electrode holder out of PVC that could isolate the electrode from the table which is grounded. But I can figure something out, I really just want some place to hold the tig torch in a tube.

Alan
aland
Guide

Postby cj737 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:00 am

I would not expect too much from a 1/8" piece of steel for flatness, rigidity, or durability. Any time you weld on top of that, the ambient heat I think will "oil can" it and effect your layout. Just saying... I get that its temporary, most I'd use it for in layout is to apply some tacks, then I'd weld up on the ground. Relying on a surface that introduces abnormalities into your welding/project is just counterproductive in my experience. Stick welding that will require some pretty low amps too in order to avoid distortion.

For your true welding table, a piece of 1/2" or better, plate steel is all you need. 1/2" if the table will be small, 5/8" is better. You can drill some clamp holes in it yourself as needed with a Mag Drill (buy or rent one). A 5/8" annual cutter will make a single pass, machined quality hole through 5/8" in about 10 seconds. Then you can decide where, and how many holes you want, add a new set as you need, or just get it on and go!
Attachments
IMG_2286.jpg
About 800 holes later...
IMG_2286.jpg (66.79 KiB) Viewed 315 times
IMG_2261.jpg
Off to the races!
IMG_2261.jpg (62.14 KiB) Viewed 315 times
IMG_2260.jpg
2" grid layout, holes center punched for locating the drill bit
IMG_2260.jpg (66.61 KiB) Viewed 315 times
cj737
Weldmonger

Postby motox » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:42 am

cj737
what brand 5/8" annual cutter do you use?
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
motox
Weldmonger

Postby aland » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:31 pm

cj737 wrote:I would not expect too much from a 1/8" piece of steel for flatness, rigidity, or durability.

No, I'm not. It has some angle iron under the top to help support it, but in the past I've used it for just a stand.

I don't plan to do any critical setups on it, other than small stuff like the welding cart...but ultimately this will be replaced in 2-3 months.

cj737 wrote:Any time you weld on top of that, the ambient heat I think will "oil can" it and effect your layout. Just saying...

Indeed, I am aware of that. I don't think it will matter for a welding cart, and I do have some room in the garage if I move my 2nd car, or is the the 3rd or 4th car??? Either way I can make space...

cj737 wrote:For your true welding table, a piece of 1/2" or better, plate steel is all you need. 1/2" if the table will be small, 5/8" is better.

We're on the same page, in fact, that's why I want to get the certiflat table. I don't think I can build it for much less than I would spend to buy material doing it, and it would take some time to drill the holes. No plasma here...:(

For $200, I can get their 2'x3' ProTable. I can buy enough tube for about $30-$35 and re-purpose some casters and weld up a stand for it which is really similar to a welding cart structure.

I calculated that a 2'x3' piece of 1/2" plate would weigh approx. 125 lbs. That's about $80 at scrap price ($0.65/lb) or double that for new material. If I was buying new material I would start getting close to the price of the certiflat. Now, to be fair...the certiflat is not 1/2" thick plate, but the fact that it has the tab-n-slot grid on the bottom should keep it flat, and it has the holes in the top already. And yeah, I looked at used prices of MagDrills and they seem to go for about $400-$600 used for a decent Hougen or Milwaukee or similar. I would need a 5/8" annual cutter also, could pick one up but they aren't cheap...I know I could rent one, but haven't priced that, probably $30-$40/day. You get the idea...this is just temp until I can get the table, but since I can't build the table cheaper than the certiflat, for the interim I figure I would cut this table down, build the welding cart and use this to learn how to tig, and I could use it for stick welding also, just that I'm setting it up lower for a more comfortable tig table.

That's been the basis of wanting the certiflat, but what do you think about this idea? I have some firebricks, I was thinking to use those like pucks on this little table so I could fixture the tube fairly flat without getting so much heat to the table itself. I've seen people doing that with metal rounds, but even though firebrick is brittle and can crumble, I think it would be ok for some quick and dirty fixturing like the welding cart. Also if I weld over the edge of the table, it would keep the heat away from the surface as well. It is my plan because it is what I have.

What say ye? Does that make sense?

Alan
aland
Guide

Postby LtBadd » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:22 pm

aland wrote:What say ye? Does that make sense?

Alan

Alan it sounds as if you have this well thought out, know your current limitations (table)and are capable of making it work for you, that's what its all about
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Postby cj737 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:40 pm

motox wrote:cj737
what brand 5/8" annual cutter do you use?
craig

I’m not too picky with these as my drill is fluid fed, so they all seem to cut about the same. Champion, Hougen, I’ve even got a decent set of Evos but they’re only 1”. I’m far more particular about my cutting fluids (Walter Ice Cut)
cj737
Weldmonger

Postby cj737 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:43 pm

aland wrote:
cj737 wrote:I would not expect too much from a 1/8" piece of steel for flatness, rigidity, or durability.

No, I'm not. It has some angle iron under the top to help support it, but in the past I've used it for just a stand.

I don't plan to do any critical setups on it, other than small stuff like the welding cart...but ultimately this will be replaced in 2-3 months.

cj737 wrote:Any time you weld on top of that, the ambient heat I think will "oil can" it and effect your layout. Just saying...

Indeed, I am aware of that. I don't think it will matter for a welding cart, and I do have some room in the garage if I move my 2nd car, or is the the 3rd or 4th car??? Either way I can make space...

cj737 wrote:For your true welding table, a piece of 1/2" or better, plate steel is all you need. 1/2" if the table will be small, 5/8" is better.

We're on the same page, in fact, that's why I want to get the certiflat table. I don't think I can build it for much less than I would spend to buy material doing it, and it would take some time to drill the holes. No plasma here...:(

For $200, I can get their 2'x3' ProTable. I can buy enough tube for about $30-$35 and re-purpose some casters and weld up a stand for it which is really similar to a welding cart structure.

I calculated that a 2'x3' piece of 1/2" plate would weigh approx. 125 lbs. That's about $80 at scrap price ($0.65/lb) or double that for new material. If I was buying new material I would start getting close to the price of the certiflat. Now, to be fair...the certiflat is not 1/2" thick plate, but the fact that it has the tab-n-slot grid on the bottom should keep it flat, and it has the holes in the top already. And yeah, I looked at used prices of MagDrills and they seem to go for about $400-$600 used for a decent Hougen or Milwaukee or similar. I would need a 5/8" annual cutter also, could pick one up but they aren't cheap...I know I could rent one, but haven't priced that, probably $30-$40/day. You get the idea...this is just temp until I can get the table, but since I can't build the table cheaper than the certiflat, for the interim I figure I would cut this table down, build the welding cart and use this to learn how to tig, and I could use it for stick welding also, just that I'm setting it up lower for a more comfortable tig table.

That's been the basis of wanting the certiflat, but what do you think about this idea? I have some firebricks, I was thinking to use those like pucks on this little table so I could fixture the tube fairly flat without getting so much heat to the table itself. I've seen people doing that with metal rounds, but even though firebrick is brittle and can crumble, I think it would be ok for some quick and dirty fixturing like the welding cart. Also if I weld over the edge of the table, it would keep the heat away from the surface as well. It is my plan because it is what I have.

What say ye? Does that make sense?

Alan

Sure does if that’s the size you’re restricted to. If you opt the DIY route, and are within a reasonable distance, I’ll drop my Mag Drill off to you and you can poke holes until you go sterile. I’m in central VA and travel between MD and Adam weekly. Anywhere along that path?
cj737
Weldmonger

Postby aland » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:49 pm

LtBadd wrote:Alan it sounds as if you have this well thought out, know your current limitations (table)and are capable of making it work for you, that's what its all about

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I probably spend more time than needed and over think making my workspace as usable as I can, but I like to be comfortable if possible. tig welding requires patience and it seems to make sense to make the environment comfortable. I am limited on space and unfortunately budget so trying to work with what I have.

I recently moved some woodworking machine out of my home shop to make room for metalworking machine...truth be told, sawdust and oil/grease/swarf/soot just don't get a long well together...:roll:

Alan
aland
Guide

Next

Return to Welding Projects - Welding project Ideas - Welding project plans