It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:14 am Advanced search

Small Welding Cart, tig inverter + 125cfm bottle

What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?

Small Welding Cart, tig inverter + 125cfm bottle

Postby aland » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:41 am

Ok, I know I can go buy a Harbor Freight cart for $35-$50 and be done with it, but honestly, are those really a decent value? I think not... :roll:

This is my first tig project. 8-)

I am limited on space and want to make my cart narrow, as I only need one argon bottle for tig.

I had cut some of these, but hadn't mitered them, so cut the remaining and mitered as I finished up.

These need more fitting before welding, but are rough cut to size. I also cut some scraps so that I could practice on. No, I didn't cut the miters with the hack saw, I was only using it to separate some of the miters after the abrasive blade continued to shrink...and not cut all the way through...my angle grinder went belly up, I don't have an extra abrasive blade for the saw, hopefully things will get better... :oops:

wc-frame-tube-cut.jpg
Rough cut the frame pieces, but need to fit them better. I also cut some scraps to practice on.
wc-frame-tube-cut.jpg (46.51 KiB) Viewed 202 times

This is what I have so far. The larger frame will go on the bottom and the rear will support the argon tank. The smaller frame will hold the welder on the front of the cart, I will probably angle the front up some so it's more visible while sitting at the welding table.

wc-frame-tube-test-fit-up.jpg
test fitting the 2 frame portions which I'm concentrating on first.
wc-frame-tube-test-fit-up.jpg (42.99 KiB) Viewed 202 times

Alan
Last edited by aland on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aland
Guide

Re: Small Welding Cart, tig inverter + 125cfm bottle

Postby cj737 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:07 am

That is some stout tubing! Holy Be-jeezus! Where in this fair country do you live, Alan?
cj737
Weldmonger

Postby homeboy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:39 pm

Voice of experience here. As you state "limited in space" and your pictures seem to confirm it, ditch the rear fixed wheels and use 4 swivel casters, much more manuverable in tight spaces. My old cart I converted years ago and the new one , with 3 machines and a tank, no other option in my mind.
homeboy
Ace

Postby aland » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:44 pm

cj737 wrote:That is some stout tubing! Holy Be-jeezus! Where in this fair country do you live, Alan?

I live in San Jose, over on the west side by Cupertino.

It is stout, but not so much, IMO. This is 1x2 tube, .095" wall. They did have some .065" wall 1x2 tube, but price was not very different, so I got the .090" wall.

homeboy wrote:Voice of experience here. As you state "limited in space" and your pictures seem to confirm it, ditch the rear fixed wheels and use 4 swivel casters, much more manuverable in tight spaces. My old cart I converted years ago and the new one , with 3 machines and a tank, no other option in my mind.

The welding table was sitting outside down at the yard, which is how it got so rusty. I also keep a car in half my garage, I can move it out and have some fabrication space. I wanted the table and cart to be mobile so I can pack them up but move them around when I want to work.

I should add guys, this small space between my mills and lathe are just to practice tig on, I have other area I can weld outside with stick, but for tig, I can do it here and the lighting is good. I can and have stick welded in this area also...even using Super MissionWeld... :lol:

Alan
Last edited by aland on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
aland
Guide

Postby aland » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:55 am

Ok, I have been in the doldrums after my angle grinder went belly up...I had been wanting to get at least 1 more angle grinder, but didn't plan on my Milwaukee 4-1/2" going belly up...not having an angle grinder just plain sucks...I didn't realize how much I use it for different things.

First thing i did was take apart the Milwaukee, just because... :lol:

I started looking for used Metabos on ebay, and surprisingly enough you can get some pretty good deals on them if you watch carefully.

Point is you don't need to hock the house to get some angle grinder, and you can Metabos for about $50-$75

And I did try to clean up some of the miters with a dremel and a die grinder...boy that sucks a hard boiled egg compared to the angle grinder... :roll:
aland
Guide

Return to Welding Projects - Welding project Ideas - Welding project plans