What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Josh MacD
    Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:57 am

My son picked the project and we are working together as he learns woodworking, welding, painting, etc. we are making a chair for his desk that will look like an AT-ST walker from Star Wars.

Pics are below. I planned on painting the whole thing military gray but my wife thinks the shiny legs look cool and we should pave them. What do you guys think? We will add gears and joints first, but paint gray or just rattle can clear coat the shiny metal?
Attachments
1F03AA60-5BDF-40D0-A392-664A664DF47E.jpeg
1F03AA60-5BDF-40D0-A392-664A664DF47E.jpeg (67.38 KiB) Viewed 981 times
Hobbyist MIG welder with 75/25 gas on a Lincoln SP-140 in my garage/workshop/gym/storage space. Very new and still learning.

"Service is the rent you pay for room on this earth" - Shirley Chisholm
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Shiny metal. Hit it with Flood Penetrol to prevent flash rusting. Skip the clear coat. Rattle can paint still needs a primer or mechanical "tooth" for proper adhesion. If you polish it up, and expect it to remain so under the clear, the clear will fail. You'd need to scuff it up somewhat, that in turn wrecks the polish, etc... Or you could have the base powder coated since that would be applied by electro-static charge and high heat. Still will need some light glass beading for adhesion.
Josh MacD

cj737 wrote:Shiny metal. Hit it with Flood Penetrol to prevent flash rusting. Skip the clear coat. Rattle can paint still needs a primer or mechanical "tooth" for proper adhesion. If you polish it up, and expect it to remain so under the clear, the clear will fail. You'd need to scuff it up somewhat, that in turn wrecks the polish, etc... Or you could have the base powder coated since that would be applied by electro-static charge and high heat. Still will need some light glass beading for adhesion.
I'm new to finishing metal. Do I just brush on the Flood Penetrol? Is it a long term (read: lifelong) solution? I'd rather not spend the money on powder coating. I haven't taken it to a true polish, just to a 40 grit flap disc, is that enough texture?

Thanks in advance
Hobbyist MIG welder with 75/25 gas on a Lincoln SP-140 in my garage/workshop/gym/storage space. Very new and still learning.

cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

40 is plenty scuffed. Penetrol will last a good long while, but maybe not a lifetime for your son ;)
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Cool idea!

I'd personally would try to aim for the 'lived in' look that most StarWars gear has with various white, grey and 'dirty' patches:

And see if you can perhaps add some detailing on the seat section with paint to copy some of the features of the AT-ST 'head'.

Just personal preference.. You do what your son wants :)

Bye, Arno.
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Teaching your son to weld...priceless! ;)

Good on 'ya!

Alan - didn't have a Dad to teach me...:roll
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Cool project :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Josh MacD

Arno wrote:Cool idea!

I'd personally would try to aim for the 'lived in' look that most StarWars gear has with various white, grey and 'dirty' patches:

And see if you can perhaps add some detailing on the seat section with paint to copy some of the features of the AT-ST 'head'.

Just personal preference.. You do what your son wants :)

Bye, Arno.
That was totally our original intent. I used the flap pads to make it smoother for 'living' in the chair. But it came out looking pretty cool. Our plan is to go to a scrap yard and scrounge for a variety of things to add to the legs and body. Transmission gears and small hydraulics for the leg joints, something for bigger feet, gun turrets on either side, and who knows what else. We will paint the box too. Maybe either the whole thing military gray with some 'battle scars' or the shiny silver legs and something different for the body (black, military gray, shiny silver). Just not sure yet.