What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Chuck
    Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:48 pm

Here’s a portable machinists vise, largely based off a Ridgid tri-vise. It’s not heavy duty but is pretty handy to have around when working away from the shop
Attachments
5DD9077B-8FF1-45C1-901C-5521ADDF995C.jpeg
5DD9077B-8FF1-45C1-901C-5521ADDF995C.jpeg (60.12 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
06FABD1D-64F4-475D-B0D8-3CFF2BEB7918.jpeg
06FABD1D-64F4-475D-B0D8-3CFF2BEB7918.jpeg (58.84 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Chuck,

I like it, and was recently trying to come up with something that was portable and could be moved around, I don't often need to take it anywhere, I mostly wanted to have it portable so I could pack it up when done with it, and get it out and set it up when I need to work.

I'm not totally decided yet, as my table mods were kind of interim, I really want to get a Certiflat table and not sure if I will incorporate it into a mobile stand, but most likely yes.

First I am making a welding cart, and keep thinking if it would be useful to try and incorporate a flip up work table using a Certiflat, or just store the Certiflat on the welding cart for storage, but the most likely scenario will be to build a mobile cart base for the Certiflat (*WHEN* I get one) and leave the welding cart separate for the welder, argon bottle, torches, electrodes, filler rod, etc...it's more likely I would need to take the welding cart with me somewhere, and even having a small 12x12 plate could work to flip up as a small welding stand.

I currently have several different vises that I can use clamped on my small welding table, a simple drill press vise, a small metal vise and a pipe vise I rarely use. I have a couple more, but they won't do too much more for me...although a leg vise is handy, I have one of those also...

Anyway, good solution for a portable vise stand that you can even weld on, like most tools it will work for some stuff and not other stuff...that's just the way it is... :lol:

Alan
Tommy2069
    Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:03 am

nice stand.i made one years ago and still use it to this day.i made the legs removable that way if needed i can take them off and tack it to a table.i welded 3 sch80 collars to the bottom of some 3/8 plate and screw the legs in when i need to use it.you'll never know how much a portable vise is needed til you make one and use it.i'll take a few pics of mine later today and post them.and again great job on your vise