What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
av8r
    Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:23 am

From my perspective the weak point will be the attachment of the axles. Without a suspension wheels passing over uneven ground will transfer a lot of stress to the single point axles. I recommend a "U" shaped fork with a single attachment point above the center line of the wheel. That however would still be susceptible to side loads. Even better would be to have a support on both sides of the axle that extends to the top of the frame.
Perpetual stick/TIG welding student (or master of molten metal massacre)
Miller XMT304
genesis
    Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:19 pm

av8r wrote:From my perspective the weak point will be the attachment of the axles. Without a suspension wheels passing over uneven ground will transfer a lot of stress to the single point axles. I recommend a "U" shaped fork with a single attachment point above the center line of the wheel. That however would still be susceptible to side loads. Even better would be to have a support on both sides of the axle that extends to the top of the frame.
I think I know what you mean av8r, and I agree. That gives me some design ideas.
See pic below with both axles supported on both sides of the axle, and some additional supports.
I would add even more supports to lessen the twisting of the axle assembly.

Thanks a bunch !

Don <><
genesis
    Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:19 pm

junkyardjoe wrote:Don,

If you would decide to change to something like this I would have some design changes based on what I found but I could send you images of the design, drawings, and even 3D if you wanted me to.

Let me know,

Joe <><
Hi Joe:
I sent you a private message with my email address. I would appreciate any drawings you can furnish. This rookie needs all the help he can get.

Don <><
junkyardjoe
    Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Don,

Just saw your PM, will send you the info when I get home. . . currently in the great state of Nebraska . . .

You guys are right in locating the high stress of these cantilevered spindle designs, however, I was able to do some quick and dirty finite element analysis on my design and all looked well within spec, when I get back on monday I will look this info up again and post it up.

Thanks,
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

1/4 inch thick wall square tube is pretty heavy. I think you could save some weight (and some $$$) and go with 1/8th inch wall, like above. If you don't think it would be strong enough, you could always x brace the top a little more. I've built narrow gauge railroad car frames out of 1/8th inch wall and they've held up very well and stayed fairly lightweight.

You should be able to build it for about half the cost of the catalog if you don't factor in your own labor cost.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

1/4" wall is WAY too heavy for this unless you're planning on skidding 40' timbers. seeing as it's a bumper pull deal, I'd go with 2" 1/8" wall square tubing for the main frame and brace the outside of the wheels with 2" 1/8" angle. the angle is dirt cheap, but the sq tubing will give you more rigidity. personally, I'd miter all the corners, too, but that's just me. I'd also recommend using the biggest wheels you can. it will make dragging the logs a whole lot easier.