What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Bradk
    Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:09 am

Well I decided to weld up a chain floor lamp as I have been interested in doing so for some time now. I purchased a 10 foot length of 3/8 " chain from McMaster-Carr and purchased a Mica lamp shade, switch, and bulb base from Antique Lamp & Supply on their internet site. I of course had to clean the chain of oil before starting the build to make welding a lot easier. I chose to tig weld this project as I find I get better burn in control by using this method as opposed to using my mig gun. Just personal preference for me as I am sure a lot of folks would prefer their mig gun much more.
Mine is a freestanding lamp with a hexagonal steel base built out of 3/4" square tubing to create the hex shape and skinned with a 1/8" steel top which is welded around the sides of the base and the ground down to create a solid outer piece, hollow underneath for switch and wiring to be in. I started welding at the top of the light by creating a return loop using the arc of a 5 gallon plastic bucket which I transferred the arc to a piece of plywood to put onto my welding table. The chain was then arched around the plywood block and held in place with clamps while I tack welded the loop. I then could use a piece 2" aluminum angle as a straight edge to keep the vertical run of chain straight to the top loop and proceeded to tack that section in multiple stages as I could only weld so far before running out of table length (Tab and Slot 3 X 2 Fablock).
When the chain had been completely welded I marked a centerline on the base and then held the chain vertically plumb in all direction with the help of a piece of aluminum strut that ran horizontal to the chain or 90 degrees across so as to clamp the chain in a perfect vertical position. I then welded the bottom link on the vertical run onto the base and looped the remains chain on top of the base, kind of coiled in multiple loops of sorts and welded those down as well in a few spots, not every link.
Chain base received a couple of coats of Rust-Oleum Metallic color "Oil Rubbed Bronze". This turned out to be a real cool color as well. I then drilled through the 3/4" square tubing on the base and popped in two plastic snap bushing to run a grounded lamp cord through, very important to ground the chassis for safety. I then drilled two holes on the top of the base, one for a On/Off switch and one to run lamp wire up to the bulb base. I drilled and tapped a 10-32 hole to receive a ground pig tail on inside of the base, wired up the light and we were all good to go! Ready for next light project now.

BradK
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (71.92 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (71.92 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

really nice!
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Good job!
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Metal Manipulator
    Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:47 am

That looks great, I've done a couple different chain yard art pieces. Two snakes and a zombie remover axe, the snakes were done free hand but the axe handle was done using angle iron as you did. First I tried to stretch the chain tight between two posts using a cum a long but the chain had a twist to it. I am building a light out of an old Chevy valve cover to use on a Miller work station table. I am building a frame to go around the sides an back to hang a curtain. My plan was to attach the light to the frame with some square tube the same as the curtain frame but now am thinking of using chain instead. It will all be detachable so It will still be portable. Great job on your piece and keep up the good work. Your light shade looks like fire, very nice touch.
mklazer20
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:21 pm

cool i just built my own last week and painted it black.Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
mklazer20
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:21 pm

cool i just built my own last week and painted it black.Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
Burley Industries
    Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:43 pm

Looks awesome!
Jake Burley