What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Josh MacD
    Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:57 am

I don't have any more projects I 'need' to build at home as I learn to weld. So... I'm going to play around with some fun artsy things. I found a cool optical illusion square I'd like to try. It's mostly just a bunch of miter welds that will allow me to practice with thinner square tubing material as well as consistency of fabrication. I'd love to learn how to polish, and seal, a project like this. My projects so far have been either painted or left bare to rust decoratively.

My question: I want this to be a high shine polished look. Does that mean I'll need to buy a series of flapper discs of varying grits? Are there any simple ways to achieve that look especially in tight spaces where a grinder might struggle to reach?

And... how would you seal it once finished?

Thanks in advance.
Hobbyist MIG welder with 75/25 gas on a Lincoln SP-140 in my garage/workshop/gym/storage space. Very new and still learning.

"Service is the rent you pay for room on this earth" - Shirley Chisholm
Sprockmonster
    Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:59 pm

Ive had luck cleaning/polishing machined surfaced on heads using a 90 degree die grinder and those twist lock scotch bright pads. Can get all you need at the freight for around $30. Including the die grinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

If you are trying to polish carbon steel to a high shine, you’ll be a while, use numerous grit disks or belts, and still have miles to go. Switch to stainless. It will polish up to a mirror with the right amount of work.

Using a flap disc on an angle grinder will impart some fairly deep scratches. You’ll work to get those out before you get very far “polishing”. A Dynafile works very well in tight spaces.
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

90 degree die grinder with a scotch bright roloc wheel is about as good as it gets wipe with acetone or reducer warm it then clear it asap

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
Josh MacD

Mike Westbrook wrote:90 degree die grinder with a scotch bright roloc wheel is about as good as it gets wipe with acetone or reducer warm it then clear it asap

This all makes sense except the last part. I am not familiar with the "warm it then clear ASAP" part. I can see myself setting the whole thing on fire with a torch. Can you be a little more specific for the noob so I don't ruin the project or burn down my house? :o :o :lol: :lol: thanks.
Hobbyist MIG welder with 75/25 gas on a Lincoln SP-140 in my garage/workshop/gym/storage space. Very new and still learning.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Just a slight warm, so it's not freezing (maybe only putting it under a hot light) and then putting a coat of clear lacquer or varnish on immediately to prevent rust.
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Yeah what Mike said [emoji6] it makes the clear set faster to help with runs

Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
Josh MacD

Thats solid help. Thanks for the feedback. I'm in Phoenix so the frigid 60 degrees might not need much warming. But I'll give it a little warming love to speed the process.

Thanks again. This forum and all of the experts are always great.

Josh MacD

cj737 wrote:If you are trying to polish carbon steel to a high shine, you’ll be a while, use numerous grit disks or belts, and still have miles to go. Switch to stainless. It will polish up to a mirror with the right amount of work.
I did some research and I'm not sure I have the set up to weld Stainless Steel as I only have a mig machine (Lincoln 140) and I only have a 75/25 tank option. Not sure the hobby nature of this project warrants me spending money on new tank and filler wire.

cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Josh MacD wrote:
cj737 wrote:If you are trying to polish carbon steel to a high shine, you’ll be a while, use numerous grit disks or belts, and still have miles to go. Switch to stainless. It will polish up to a mirror with the right amount of work.
I did some research and I'm not sure I have the set up to weld Stainless Steel as I only have a mig machine (Lincoln 140) and I only have a 75/25 tank option. Not sure the hobby nature of this project warrants me spending money on new tank and filler wire.
:o What self-respecting welder can’t see any opportunity to purchase a new machine as justifiable? Shame on you, the economy needs our obsessive behaviors :evil: You’re right, a 75/25 mix won’t work well on stainless, but your MIG box can run stainless wire should you ever actually need to. I was uncertain about the scope/goal of your project is why I mentioned it. :)

By the way, the correct formula for determining how many welding machines you need is N+1. Please bear that in mind as you go forward :lol: