What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
nekitu
    Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:45 am

Hi,
I am new to welding, practicing for 2 years now and I want to build a custom welder cart, as an exercise.
My problem is, I see standard cart models with the gas bottle right at the back of the welder fan/cooling.
Is that a problem for the bottle ? Can it heat up or whatever, is the welder fan pushing more due to the obstacle.
Is it better to have the bottle on a side of the welder machine ?
Any suggestions appreciated, thanks!

You won't have any problems, at all. anyway the bottle doesn't fit right up against the back of the machine, still I wouldn't give it a second thought, design away and enjoy the build, oh and post some pics for us to follow along.
Richard
Website
nekitu

Yeah, I did not even checked the temp behind the machine while welding for some longer time, but I guess it's not like fiery as in some other kind of machines.
I wasn't sure how sensitive is the argon in the bottle, but the bottle being thick enough will dissipate anything thrown at it anyway.
Just overreacting a bit :D.
Btw, I did build stuff (novice), I have a DIY youtube channel, doing a lot of welding (shameless plug):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzV6SIxH0po
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMQcq8hSn1s
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-Nzf8 ... -Mg/videos

I will post progress about the cart here while making it. Thanks for the reassurement and advice.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Most high pressure cylinders have a wall thickness of 1/4 inch or less.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Aaron W
    Fri May 17, 2019 6:19 pm

As many / most factory carts locate the bottle at the back, I don't imagine there is an issue with heat generated. There is quite a bit of mass in a cylinder and a lot of surface area that wants to be whatever the ambient air temperature is.

I'm building a cart for a multi-process welder so 2 bottles, one for MIG and another for TIG. I've decided to put the bottles on the side, but that is because I think it will make a better layout, a more square-rectangular shape 24x32", vs the long rectangular 20x40" shape that putting the bottles side by side at the back would have required.

Something else to consider is bottle size. On a rear mounted cart they usually have the bottle close to an axle and centered on the cart. I use relatively small cylinders (I think Bs, about 30" tall) so the welder and supplies being mounted off to the other side will help to balance them. Full size cylinders are pretty heavy, so having them mounted to one side could potentially result in cart handling issues or even some instability.
nekitu

I am thinking of a lego-like customizable rig, with several holes to attach various holders, so I can switch them if I want to.
It is part of the creative exercise, since I am not a professional welder, hence time to do it or pure utility is not a problem.
I am using a small size bottle (5L argon) or 10L, that would be 3ft tall (80cm).
I will think of a system where you can attach the bottle holder to either back or side of the cart :), again, it is over-engineering, but as an exercise of the mind. There will be also TIG filler rod cylinders which can be placed in those lego holes anywhere on the sides, metal band for the grinders, tray for small parts, cable hooks, gun holders, etc. This will (should) be fun.
I will post some Fusion 360 drawings after I get something going on.
nekitu

Something like this, quick drafting of the lego holes idea:
Attachments
lego_cart.jpg
lego_cart.jpg (21.19 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
nekitu

Available holders:
  • 2x TIG rod holders
  • 1x MMA rod holder
  • 1x stand for tungsten sharpener (small wheel table grinder)
  • 2x generic side trays (shallow box)
  • 4x cable hooks
  • 1x angle grinder holder bar
  • 1x bar to put gun magnetic holders
  • welding magnets can be attached anywhere (of course…)
  • 1x gas bottle holder (adaptable to small/medium size)
  • even the push handle can be custom positioned on front, sides
  • soda/water bottle support :D (don’t drink alcohol and weld!)
Other features:
  • adjustable angle for machine tray
  • 2x trays under the machine tray
  • gas bottle can be detached as a separated trolley from side or back of the cart, has 2 big wheels
  • the cart has rotative wheels, so the whole assembly can be moved freely, even if the gas bottle trolley is on the side or in the back with those two big wheels
Aaron W
    Fri May 17, 2019 6:19 pm

Don't forget a place for a fire extinguisher. Even if you already have one in the shop, it is good to always have one right next to a potential source of ignition.

Mine will include both a water can and ABC dry chem since it will be used outdoors. I don't want to be "that guy" who burned down the block. :mrgreen:

The Lego idea sounds neat, but I suspect once you dial in the configuration you like, it won't change much.
nekitu

Yes, I have a fire extinguisher can.
The good thing is that where I am welding there is only concrete, nothing else, me the welder, metal and concrete. I don't weld in the shop room/box.
The space is confined so I might reconfigure the cart to fit into the place, sometimes I might not even need the gas and just use flux wire for months.
The lego idea is as I said an exercise, I do this project for fun not profit, it's a hobby, zero profit :), besides the fun.
Eloza777
    Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:00 pm

I just made this one with a cabinet I bought at Harbor freight got that idea from YouTube
Attachments
038851C3-3249-42FA-B3C9-E34F69F1041A.jpeg
038851C3-3249-42FA-B3C9-E34F69F1041A.jpeg (54.38 KiB) Viewed 2161 times