What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:03 am

This was a fun one. I bought a multi-process machine for the farm (Lincoln 210MP) and wanted to get to know real mig welding with this project (.030 solid wire, C25 gas). I'm used to stick welding and initially I had trouble with my mig welds piling up and not wetting in well, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I'm just used to having more heat and digging force.

I modeled up a frame in Sketch-up based on the 3" tubing I have in the scrap pile, and picked up some cold roll for the rest (I ordered the spear online). If anyone wants the sketchup file I can post it.

I started having porosity issues and discovered the mig torch had worked its way out of the front of the machine and all my gas was leaking out. I'm new to gas, so this was a head scratcher for a minute.

Here's the frame built up. The hay spear comes with a tapered, weld-in sleeve. The spear has threads on the back and you just stick it in the hole and run the nut down to ~500 ft-lbs. You can make it out in the background of this pic - red with a blue nut on the end:

Here's the back set up with a skid steer style hookup. I bought a new tractor this summer and having that quick-attach feature on the loader has been amazing. I caught a lot of crap from my family for buying new, but I reminded everyone that my wife's grandfather bought an Allis Chalmers Model C brand new in 1941 and we still use it. Yeah, that didn't help.

I like spending money on dumb stuff, so...

I did a lot of experimenting on scrap to dial in a setting that would give me a small, flat bead profile, but still penetrate.

Since this is going on a new tractor, I decided to have it powder coated instead of just brushing Rustoleum on it. Time to blast it:

All that pitting is a good thing,right? Helps, uh, give the powder something to grab onto!

Nicer than I could do with a paint brush!

I fed the cows their first couple of round bales with it last night and everything worked as it should. I doubt I saved much money building this myself (after buying the letters and getting it powder coated), but it was a fun project. :mrgreen:

Mig is way more fun than I expected. I definitely see the limitations, though. I still struggle with getting my welds to flatten out on T joints. I set the machine as recommended and then end up adding a half to one volt to try and spread the bead out a bit more. I can hear the sound change from a nice even bacon frying sound to a rougher, less even sound and it just doesn't feel right. If anyone has any tips I'm all ears. Thanks!

Super nice fab work there, looks great!
Richard
Website
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

That's a great lookin job, Brandon. Congrats.

Thanks guys, I'm glad it's done. It's tractor repair season... I can't be seen having fun with my new welder when I'm supposed to be rebuilding the rear end in this:

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Nice job! Yeah we all buy welders so we can build stuff for cheaper. Rarely is it ever cheaper in the end tho Image However skid steer and loader attachments are crazily overpriced. I’ve built a couple that were actually money savers. My latest was a custom pusher/rake for scraping out and cleaning underneath some conveyors. Image
ImageImage

As for the crowned up beads, if you need a flatter bead trying using a push angle instead of dragging you like you would with stick. Those are some nice welds tho for a first Mig project. Love seeing builds like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

hey Jay, I like that pusher rake and noticed that you have the skidsteer off the ground with it. I'd take bets that there is someone that will operate that thing and be able to break it. It's called "JOB SECURITY".

BillE.Dee wrote:hey Jay, I like that pusher rake and noticed that you have the skidsteer off the ground with it. I'd take bets that there is someone that will operate that thing and be able to break it. It's called "JOB SECURITY".
You got it Image one week later and she was bent like a banana. I was almost impressed that they managed to bend it

JayWal wrote:Nice job! Yeah we all buy welders so we can build stuff for cheaper. Rarely is it ever cheaper in the end tho Image However skid steer and loader attachments are crazily overpriced. I’ve built a couple that were actually money savers. My latest was a custom pusher/rake for scraping out and cleaning underneath some conveyors.
Nice, that looks handy! Yeah, this is our first tractor with a skid steer style quick attach. The mind reels thinking about the possibilities :shock:
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

Really nice! Just like JayWal, I really enjoy seeing other peoples work like this.

Earlier this year I bought a little Kubota sub-compact tractor with a loader for some work I plan to do at my place. I wanted pallet forks for it but could not quite buy what I needed so I made a set. The project was fun, I ended up with a useful tool that fits my needs and while it was not exactly cheap to build, I did save a few bucks so long as I don't bill for my time!

Nice work!
Jim Bridger
    Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:46 am

Super cool project = just curious if anyone has made a rear spear for the three point. I've been borrowing neighbors but I dont like the fork configuration as its tough to get angles right to prevent a bale from slipping off as you bounce over our fields.

Jim Bridger wrote:Super cool project = just curious if anyone has made a rear spear for the three point. I've been borrowing neighbors but I dont like the fork configuration as its tough to get angles right to prevent a bale from slipping off as you bounce over our fields.
Hydraulic top link on your 3pt would fix that. I have em on every tractor I have. potato farm so a use 3pt implements a lot. It’s a must for me now, even my little garden tractor has one now. Just a hydraulic cylinder that replaces the threaded link style, plugs into your couplers and lets you adjust from the cab on the go

Myles30
    Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:12 pm

I know this post is a bit older, but do you still have that file you could send? Thanks!