What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
WelderDan
    Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:50 am

I'm building a kitchen table. The owner of our house we live at pulled some 100-year old 5 1/2" well pipe out of the ground and it's been sitting in our yard for a year. It doesn't look like they're using it so I cut out two 30" peices to use for table legs. I cut each peice in half the long way for a total of 4 pieces. I'm leaving the rust on them because I like the way it looks. When I get the table top done the legs will be bolted to the corners, so that the table can be disassembled and moved easier.

I got one leg done where I welded a 1/4" plate to the bottom. I'm not sure I like the weld though. It's a little more ripple(y) than I wanted and uneven in some places. I seem to be able to use e7014 electrodes on straight fillet welds alright, but doing them around a curve is tricky for a new welder like me. I did a few practice runs on curved material before trying. I was nervous when attempting the real thing...

I might grind it off and do it over.
Attachments
20191115_023625.jpg
20191115_023625.jpg (37.79 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
20191115_024142.jpg
20191115_024142.jpg (30.84 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I’d recommend spraying them with a lite coat of clear coat in a rattle can. It will keep the rusty look without it rubbing off on your Sunday pants.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Ballistic308
    Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:56 pm

It may prove to be tough to achieve a more uniform tippled without more practice. If you’re going for asthmatics have you considered placing the weld on the inside of the leg?
WelderDan
    Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:50 am

Ballistic308 wrote:It may prove to be tough to achieve a more uniform tippled without more practice. If you’re going for asthmatics have you considered placing the weld on the inside of the leg?
I like a welded look, so I want the bead on outside. I have more pipe to practice on -- I plan on it