What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Jim Bridger
    Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:46 am

Week 3 as a beginner and finally starting some projects. I know I've got long way to to with practice, but I was desperate to get table done as was sick of working on the floor. I pieced together/borrowed from photos online and was able to pick up a reasonable remnant 3/8" top. I wanted the table on casters to help move around and also liked an idea I saw to have the legs adjustable as I know my floor is never totally flat. I used 3/4" bolts to fit inside the legs and am happy with the design but my casters must not be heavy duty enuf. They roll when they are all pointing same direction but I can't get them to rotate easily when moving the table. (got them at home depot and think they were rated for 200lbs) Anyone else run into this problem and if so any suggestions on caster size/style? I designed the bottoms so I could easily bolt them on/off (well hopefully whatever I find fits the drilled welded plate I have on bottom....)

P.S. Since I'm just learning if you have critical comments on my welds please send them. I want to get better.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 8.37.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 8.37.10 AM.png (576.12 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 8.43.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 8.43.24 AM.png (663.68 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Probably just as you suspect, under rated for the weight.

I spent the money and bought some decent leveling casters for my table. Admittedly, my table is 4'x6'x0.75" and weighs about a half ton for the table top alone.
https://casterconnection.com/3-x-0-88-n ... gJegvD_BwE

But my table glides easily when I need to move it, then I use a floor jack to help level it in place. I don't move it too frequently thank God ;)
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

i would highly recommend side mount casters. they have a lever so you push them down to lift the table up onto the wheels.
move the table then drop the table off the wheels onto its feet.
tweak it until it breaks

I believe part of the problem is the castors are too small in diameter, smaller wheels require more force to move. And if the floor isn't smooth the problem multiplies.
Richard
Website
Mac's Crew
    Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:02 pm

2 things... 1) convex casters roll better and (2) higher quality casters also roll better.

I am spoiled by having Colson Caster distribution center here in town.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I haven't built anything I can't throw away yet.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

For anything heavy I use a 4 inch diameter wheel or bigger. By heavy I mean one man moves it. If it way heavy (2 men) then I’m 6inch or 8inch minimum.
I have more questions than answers

Josh