What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
RandyLittrell
    Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:00 pm

TraditionalToolworks It's all good and I think we are mostly on the same page. Any car without a computer in it and not in a production shop will be better off TIG welded for sure! And nobody likes working on rusty cars, even if we do it for a living!!

Randy
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

[quote="RandyLittrell"]TraditionalToolworks It's all good and I think we are mostly on the same page. Any car without a computer in it and not in a production shop will be better off TIG welded for sure! And nobody likes working on rusty cars, even if we do it for a living!!/quote]
Randy,

Not a bad point actually. On my Everlast there's a switch for HF or Lift Arc, but on my Primeweld there no switch and it would appear that it only operates in HF.

Although I have heard mechanics say they have worked on cars with computers and not damaged them with HF.

Do you know of anyone that has damaged a computer?

Is that the only reason shops use mig for auto repair?

I've never been attracted to mig, but that's something to keep in mind. No worries on my '46 pickup, which is the only car I have plans to weld, and I will be using tig for it. I did some welding on my flatbed but used stick as it was on the hitch.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
RandyLittrell
    Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:00 pm

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
RandyLittrell wrote:TraditionalToolworks It's all good and I think we are mostly on the same page. Any car without a computer in it and not in a production shop will be better off TIG welded for sure! And nobody likes working on rusty cars, even if we do it for a living!!/quote]
Randy,

Not a bad point actually. On my Everlast there's a switch for HF or Lift Arc, but on my Primeweld there no switch and it would appear that it only operates in HF.

Although I have heard mechanics say they have worked on cars with computers and not damaged them with HF.

Do you know of anyone that has damaged a computer?

Is that the only reason shops use mig for auto repair?

I've never been attracted to mig, but that's something to keep in mind. No worries on my '46 pickup, which is the only car I have plans to weld, and I will be using tig for it. I did some welding on my flatbed but used stick as it was on the hitch.
Yes, computers do get killed from time to time and there are some equipment that you plug inline after you unhook the battery to "absorb" electical pulses so to speak.

On some Toyota's there is a ground strap that you have to unhook to remove the driver side fender and if you don't remember to bolt it back on with the proper bolt before starting and moving the car, it will kill the computer and wiring harness.

Cars have to be repaired by processes approved by ICAR and is the big reason mig is used. It is an approved process. Its also a faster method. Lots of structural adhesives are used today in conjunction with a spot welding machine as well as mig.

My son has a Millermatic 215 and I have a little Weldpro 155 and hope to do some scratch start tig in the near future.

Randy