What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
UniqueTouch
    Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:27 pm

Hey guys any advice, suggestions, or specs would be greatly appreciated. Looking to build a skid for a pressure washing setup. Going to put a 300 gallon tank on it which I would like to be able to pick up with skid steer if it is full or not full to take in and out of my truck or mason dump. Wondering what size metal would be needed. Thank you
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

For rigidity with this weight, I wouldn't use anything less than 6"x 3" steel channel.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
UniqueTouch

Another person recommended 2x2 .125 what do you think about that and which is cheaper? Thank you
Coldman

300 US Gal tank plus some sort of pump. Gonna weight 1T or more full. Get loaded and dragged around with skid steer.
Anyone who thinks 2x2x0.125 is suitable is depriving a desert island somewhere of a basket weaver. It's gonna twist and damage your tank and any pipework attached.

If your interested in good engineering to last go the 6" channel. If you're interested in price, hey go 1/2" x 1/2", real cheap.

You actually haven't given any dimensional information except 300 gal tank either.
UniqueTouch

Ya I hear ya that’s what I thought. I have a 3x3 by 1/4 inch tubing at the house which I could use I was just hoping to use something a little less expensive than that ya know but it is what it is. I want it to fit in the back of my 8ft bed on my 7.3 power stroke mainly. Occasionally it will go in my mason dump.
Coldman

3x3x 1/4" is good steel. It might work out ok if there is enough rigid bracing and depending on how big the frame is. Iv'e seen 4" channel twist under half the load. 5" has a little movement but not bad. 6" channel is solid. Heavy square tube is good for rigidity but is more expensive to buy. If you already have 3" and the frame is not too long or wide it might be suitable.

Sketch something up with a few dimensions and let us have a butcher's hook.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Personally I’d use 4inch I beam for the base structure. Then truss up the center with 3inch Chanel for supports and stiffeners.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
UniqueTouch

Thanks guys I appreciate your expertise. I actually have 4x4 1/4. Going to hit the supply yard tomorrow and see what I can get. Draw something up in the am before I go.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

there is a lot I don't know,,,BUT,,,I do know for a fact that when you get the weight of water (8#/gallon) moving around, you will have your hands full and any structure holding that tank will be stressed with the motion of the ocean. Overbuild is much safer than "what just happened?"
Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

BillE.Dee wrote:there is a lot I don't know,,,BUT,,,I do know for a fact that when you get the weight of water (8#/gallon) moving around, you will have your hands full and any structure holding that tank will be stressed with the motion of the ocean. Overbuild is much safer than "what just happened?"
Im with you. 300gal x 8.34 = 2502lb
Add the weight of the steel and pump and your looking at 3000lb+
Your skid steer might not like moving that.
I don't think my bobcat t190 could do it full, especially with the overhang.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Sandy,,,I was in the natural gas field for 10 years. Looked over lots of written word about weights and measures. After all of the reading and "reasoning" I was still :shock: after a lot of "operators" maneuvered equipment. He will probably load the unit into the truck empty, and say well that is going well and THEN, and THEN. All I can offer is, BUILD IT, but be careful at all times.
UniqueTouch

Ya I have a caterpillar 246c I can pick up full pallet of pavers no problem
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Yeah that's a good sized loader. I have a similar sized Deere i believe the tipping load for yours is around 4,000-4,300 lbs. You should be safe.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

My t190 has a tipping load of 6851lb.
This rating is at the attachment plate.
I have done endoes with much less weight.
You will know what you can handle when you go to lift so no worries. Just mentioning for the design considerations.
If the attachment plate is 3' from the center of gravity at 6' you have doubled the torque.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
UniqueTouch

Yes I agree. Realistically I’ll never pull it out if full but just in case it an issue or emergency that I needed to pull it out that would be really only time taking it out. The one truck I want to put it in isn’t used for anything really or hauling so it would not be an issue leaving it in the bed for long periods of time.