What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Coldman wrote:I hear what you say. Still doesn't change my mind. You don't know what happens in the future. You might sell a truck and the forget to take the bracket off and it gets used for something else. Still comes back to you.
Build it right, sleep at night.
I agree with that. I do usually overweld my parts. I was pretty frustrated by that breaker I did not want to have to weld double the passes again having to flip breakers every minute. So after a couple beers I've decided I'll swap in a bigger breaker and slap a couple more beads down.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

You've made the right decision. Rest assured that welding to the thickness of the thinner part is welding it just right. If you welded to the thickness of the thicker part, that would be over-welding.

And you'll have an upgraded breaker for next time! All good.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Nice work, those are going to be bomber!
cwby
    Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:07 pm

Coldman wrote:Looking very good so far.
Show us another pic after you've finished the triple run fillets to complete the throat thickness.
Since they are fillets on both sides they should add. 1/2" fillet + 1/2" filet = 1" total - more than plate thickness, so he should be good. Plug welds are extra insurance.

You'll pull the frame into before they welds break.
cwby
    Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:07 pm

Coldman wrote:Looking very good so far.
Show us another pic after you've finished the triple run fillets to complete the throat thickness.
Since they are fillets on both sides they should add. 1/2" fillet + 1/2" filet = 1" total - more than plate thickness, so he should be good. Plug welds are extra insurance.

You'll pull the frame into before they welds break.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

JayWal wrote:It's a 300 amp machine, that's why only a 300 amp rating. The plugs I use are only rated for 50amps, but I was pretty tempted to swap in a bigger breaker anyways.
I run the same plug, and I have wired the circuit with 6 gauge conductors. My breaker is a 100 amp breaker. I can run either of my welders wide open up to the duty cycle and the plug and wiring never gets warm. The building code allows for over rating the breaker for a dedicated welder circuit based on duty cycle. It has never been clear to me if that applies to the plugs as well. But in actual practice it has never been a problem for me.
Multimatic 255
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

For fillet welds, this is a handy chart from AWS D1.1
min fillet weld sizes.PNG
min fillet weld sizes.PNG (74.8 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Louie1961 wrote:
JayWal wrote:It's a 300 amp machine, that's why only a 300 amp rating. The plugs I use are only rated for 50amps, but I was pretty tempted to swap in a bigger breaker anyways.
I run the same plug, and I have wired the circuit with 6 gauge conductors. My breaker is a 100 amp breaker. I can run either of my welders wide open up to the duty cycle and the plug and wiring never gets warm. The building code allows for over rating the breaker for a dedicated welder circuit based on duty cycle. It has never been clear to me if that applies to the plugs as well. But in actual practice it has never been a problem for me.
The one plug I use is right under the breaker panel. So to swap in heavy gauge wiring I'd only need 16" or so of wire. I'll definently do that if I ever need more than 65 amps

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

JayWal wrote:Got it done anyhow Image

The welds looks great.

Dave
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

I’ve welded lots of material like that in the past.
Nothing wrong with using 045 duel shield for that. If your burying slag inclusions, your not set up properly or your technique is bad. Dual shield penetrates much better than solid wire mig. Forget solid wire mig for this.

7018 will be good also. Size of the rod to use just relates to how long it will take you to complete the job.
I would probably do it with a 1/8 or a 5/32 rod.
I’d want to put atleast an 8mm fillet weld on that, maybe even 10 mm fillet weld if you want to over do it a little to be sure.
Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Louie1961 wrote:
NEC 2020 Article 210.21(B)(1) exception 2

It allows you to size the receptacle based on the conductor ampacity not the breaker size which is 200% of I1maxImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk