What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

I need to weld some ramps for a Porsche. Im guessing the car weighs about 3k lb.
The ramp needs to be 12' long and i plan on having the bottom half disconnect for storage. I was going to use c4x4.5 for the outside of the ramps. then support every 12" with L 3x3x1/4, and finally lay some 3lb or 4lb expanded sheet on top.
It will be 16" wide.

The other idea was to just buy an i beam with a 16" web and like a 6" flange. And trim the flange on the ends.

I prefer the first option.
Any input is welcome.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I recently made some motorcycle ramps for my parking shed. Similar principle, but different load rating obviously.

What I did was to use some angle iron for the outside rails, but pie cut them, bent a radius into them for a camber, then welded the pie cuts back up. Then I welded angle iron, corner up, on 4" centers for the driving surface. That allows the wheel to bit and never sit too low between the rails. A center angle rail lengthwise for mid-load support. My material was 1/4" 2x2 for sides and center, then 1.5x1.5 3/16" for driving rails. Whole thing is less than 10' and has a gentle slope to prevent bottoming out or scraping.

For your Porsche, the drive-on angle needs to be pretty flat to prevent the front lip from dragging. A transition with a camber helps level the vehicle out as you drive over/past.
Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Thanks. I forgot to mention I'm going 30" up. It's going from a garage to a weird storage space. Anyway i think i have the clearances based on my math.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Angle of the dangle is always important!
I have more questions than answers

Josh