What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

I am getting ready to get ready to paint my t190. Lol
And i don't love sanding. It is a 2007 with 3000hr so it has some rust.
What do you guys recommend for strpping paint and rust.

I have a 7" sanding disk (old craftman 4200rpm). A makita BO6050J (driven orbital). Metabo 7" grinder (8000rpm+/-)
And the usual.
Some folks have said sand blasting but unless everyone recommends this option i would rather not.
I thought about getting a 7" flap disk and i have never tried 3m scotch pads.
What is your "go to" method for a long day of prepping?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Harbor freight sand blaster. Cheap and easy.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Simclardy

Poland308 wrote:Harbor freight sand blaster. Cheap and easy.
Lots of bad reviews on the hf blaster and i avoid them if possible. Usually if nobody local has it i will make an exception.
Have you used the hf unit?

noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I re-paint mostly on outside steel work & steel hulled boats but the principle is the same - sandblasting is usually prohibited depending on location & is very slow & expensive - on a machine like yours you will also get sand in places you don't want such as around rams / seals / pins / bushes etc - my preferred method is steam clean to remove oil / salt / anything loose & hand scrape / needle gun if there is any very flaky stuff - then use a reactive primer / rust converter ( https://aquasteel.co.uk/ is my go to ) this stops further corrosion seals & provides a good base to paint over then I paint with http://www.brantho-korrux.co.uk/ - this is now widely used around here - it's cheaper & better than traditional brand paints I've used - time between repaints is longer & you don't waste material & before you ask I have no connection with either & have no interest in promoting their products - I pay retail price & am happy with the results I#m getting - hope this helps.
Simclardy

noddybrian wrote:I re-paint mostly on outside steel work & steel hulled boats but the principle is the same - sandblasting is usually prohibited depending on location & is very slow & expensive - on a machine like yours you will also get sand in places you don't want such as around rams / seals / pins / bushes etc - my preferred method is steam clean to remove oil / salt / anything loose & hand scrape / needle gun if there is any very flaky stuff - then use a reactive primer / rust converter ( https://aquasteel.co.uk/ is my go to ) this stops further corrosion seals & provides a good base to paint over then I paint with http://www.brantho-korrux.co.uk/ - this is now widely used around here - it's cheaper & better than traditional brand paints I've used - time between repaints is longer & you don't waste material & before you ask I have no connection with either & have no interest in promoting their products - I pay retail price & am happy with the results I#m getting - hope this helps.
Thanks! Both products look good. I have some rustoleum rust reformer that looks similar. Have you used it? Just wondering if it is comparable? The paints are in the uk and im in the usa. Have you shipped their products overseas?
Cheers

noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

The only rustoleum product I've found here is a zinc based primer that just looks like a very pale orange version of regular red oxide paint - some folks like it - I've used it in the past but never thought it anything special - it is only a paint - the Aquasteel is quite an aggressive chemical reaction & I've seen way better results using it especially near sea water - I also like to wash areas that have no paint left with phosphoric acid & rinse prior to painting - I'm not sure if either products ship to you but the paint at least comes here imported from Germany so I assume they will ship anywhere you like - most companies will ship but with that cost & taxes I can't say whether it would be cost effective for you - worth an Email though - it's even possible it's available if they can put you onto the distributor or it maybe it's branded under another name - I think there are other products like the Aquasteel so maybe try a local one - the paint I've not come across anything better & it's fairly cheap when compared with big names especially in marine use.
Simclardy

Excellent info noddybrian.
Thanks