What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Finally had a couple slow days to finish up my new welding table. Thought I'd post some pics for people, since I got the idea for the design from an earlier post on here where someone built a really nice 5x10.

4x4 legs, with heavy wall 2x4" cross pieces. The top is 4x10, 3/4" with laser cut holes slightly undersized that I then just drilled out to 5/8. Reason for using heavy wall 2x4" crosspieces is so I could then use 22 gauge sheet metal shims between the top and frame pieces in certain spots, and bolts to pull the top flat. Took my time, and after about an hour I got it flat within less than 1/16". Plenty good for me.

110v outlets all around, the one on the far side that's inside the frame is for a dry cut saw thatll go there in the future. Also going to wire some 230v outlets to the far corner.

Pretty happy with it, cant wait to get some fixturing now and put it to use. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

That would use up half my garage, lol.

Oscar wrote:That would use up half my garage, lol.
You could store half of your 2 dozen welders under it tho...think about it...;)

cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I wonder if your flatness isn't being distorted by the top frame connections to the legs? Looks like you bolted the two sections together. Shim below the leg/floor might raise the top surface.

1/16" out for a perpendicular (vertical) setup will be translate to quite a bit of "out-of-plumb" over 2-3'.

It is a lovely setup and nicely constructed. Your top is similar to mine, except I had to mag drill all 800+ of my holes.
Attachments
IMG_2288.jpg
IMG_2288.jpg (75.44 KiB) Viewed 2440 times

cj737 wrote:I wonder if your flatness isn't being distorted by the top frame connections to the legs? Looks like you bolted the two sections together. Shim below the leg/floor might raise the top surface.

1/16" out for a perpendicular (vertical) setup will be translate to quite a bit of "out-of-plumb" over 2-3'.

It is a lovely setup and nicely constructed. Your top is similar to mine, except I had to mag drill all 800+ of my holes.
I threaded the bottom of the legs for 3/4 bolts so they are adjustable. I got the top flat, and welded securely to the cross pieces, then adjusted the bolts under the legs to get it level.

I was actually surprised how easily the 3/4" slab could be bent/straightened. If I only jacked up on one side the sheet would sag almost 2 inches in the middle. Slide some shims under, throw the level on top, adjust as needed. Was fairly easy to do, surprisingly.

This is my first fixture table, already I'm wondering how I managed without one up until now.

I was planning to mag drill mine too, I sent the drawing to the company who cut the top out for me and told him to only mark the holes with laser, I'll drill them myself. His employee didnt get the memo and cut them with the laser. And I'm really glad he did lol. That a crap ton of holes.

Super nice table!
Richard
Website

Oscar wrote:That would use up half my garage, lol.
Well, it's all those welding machines you keep around for your "hobby" use :lol: :lol:
Richard
Website
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Awesome table, well done.
Drilling hundreds of holes with a mag drill gets boring quick.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

o thats nice 8-)
i like the draws and power points.
tweak it until it breaks
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

THAT is one fine job, Jay. That would look great in my shop....listen, Coldman has dibs on Josh's stuff, but gave me Josh's gloves and underwear...... can I have the table??

Itll cost you more than a few fruit o the looms Billie

Thanks guys. It was this forum that gave me the idea.

Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Great build

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Nice setup! 8-)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan