What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Solan
    Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:28 pm

Hello, brand new to the forum, first post, looking for some advice on a DIY roll up (sectional) garage door. I have a 14' x 7' door opening. It's not a standard size and the cost of purchasing a custom door is prohibitive. Therefore, I'd like to fabricate my own. My vision is to build the frame from tube steel (using MIG) and skin the outside with 3/8" rough sawn plywood. Each section would be approximately 14' x 2'4" .
My question: Considering weight vs strength, what gauge steel do you recommend I use? Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by Solan on Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
propanehotrod
    Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:57 pm

The trick to garage doors is making them light enough.
Start by calculating the total weight of your materials and then see if you can find springs heavy enough to lift it.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

roll up door or sectional door ?
i think your talking about a sectional door (tho i don't know what your local name for it is).

the thing i would be concerned about is weight. tube steel would be heavy and probably not needed.
my mem they are made with channel or angle iron. usually very thin.

best bet would be to find another door and copy it.

couple of things to also consider, insulation and air gaps.
tweak it until it breaks
Solan
    Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi Tweake, thanks for your reply. You're correct, I'm talking about a sectional door. I changed my post to reflect that. What gauge angle iron would you say I should use? I'm located in Southern CA so I'm not entirely concerned with air gaps or insulation.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

i would go find pics of what they use locally.
you may have certain wind strength rules etc. i had my garage door blow in, which lifted the roof half off and was in real danger of taking off and hitting the neighbours.

do have the tracks?
thats something that may be difficult to make.

i would simply get a 2nd hand one close to your size. that gives you the basics of the track. width is not problem. you can lengthen it easy enough. that gives you an idea on material sizes. possibly go up one size for a larger door.
i think they also run a balance spring. if you get a door close to the right size its spring is probably close enough.
tweak it until it breaks
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Most garage doors are thin gauge metal and have hinged connectors. The tracks are usually also reasonably thin gauge channel. A 3/8” thick panel of wood will be considerably heavier. If you’re intent on wood, I’d make it a barn door style that slides side-to-side or lifts in tact on a single hinged pivot.