What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
BambulanceMan
    Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:00 pm

Howdy folks! I want to pick your brains on a potential project. I welded up a clothesline for the wife and she loved it. Only prob is my land constantly shifts here in Texas with every rain. The poles eventually sag no matter how deep or how much concrete. What say yall to a above ground clotheline? Like is it possible to make a base to it that will prevent the poles from falling over that can be moved? If it's metal I can weld it, so all ideas are welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

BambulanceMan wrote:Like is it possible to make a base to it that will prevent the poles from falling over that can be moved?
Springs! Have you tried attaching heavy springs on each end of the line?
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I have the same problem up here in PA. The clothes poles keep moving, especially after a six pack and a trip on the mower. Had to end up buying a new clothes dryer to match the new washer.
I don't know what to tell ya about the ground down yonder. If ya got a tree nearby and the house would get ya by better than the poles.
gramps.

A vertical pole with a 24" diameter weighted base
Last edited by LtBadd on Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Use a concrete base 6x your diameter of post. Then sink down 10 ft. Set your post in the concrete.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
BambulanceMan

Poland308 wrote:Use a concrete base 6x your diameter of post. Then sink down 10 ft. Set your post in the concrete.
Whoa yea 10 feet would do it. I think I set mine 4 feet deep

Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

We get deep frost here. Needs to be at least 8ft in Iowa to avoid frost heave.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
BambulanceMan

Thanks for the ideas guys.

l8trdude
    Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:52 am

I have the same problem, but have learned a few tricks. Over the years ground movement has split the concrete for my fence posts, it looks like someone dropped a watermelon. It happens during droughts, since no frost line to worry about here. My big ugly satellite dish post has stood plumb for 30 years. The key is to dig a bell shaped hole, at least 3 feet deep. Then imbed some rebar into the concrete to keep from cracking. For a moveable line could be bolted to this base. I’d put it low enough to mow over.
CAVEMANN
    Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:03 am

You can use a large diameter plate on the bottom, bury it fairly deep. This same method has been used to winch vehicles in sand where there's nothing to connect a winch cable to, bury the spare at a 45 degree angle and winch away.