What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Got some time in the shop these days. Put some to good use and knocked up a break for my 20T hydraulic press.
I just have to paint and wait for the springs to come in.ImageImageImage
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

8-)
now i'm tempted to make one myself :D
tweak it until it breaks

Looks good!
Richard
Website
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Nice job there! That looks like a handy size!
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Coldman

Time will tell. Most I've seen use 2" angle or smaller. This increases the required hydraulic force. I used 3" angle which will decrease the pressure but may result in a curved bend rather than a 90 with straight legs. We'll see next week.
Coldman

Works good. Tested a 4" x 1/4" flat bar. At 5T pressure not quite 90 degrees. At 10T pressure a little over 90 degrees. 7T should do it perfect.
100mm bar.jpg
100mm bar.jpg (66.96 KiB) Viewed 3723 times
Coldman

Done and done.
Press Break1.jpg
Press Break1.jpg (72.08 KiB) Viewed 3618 times

Nice! Now I want one...
Richard
Website
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Probably a couple of years ago at least I posted pictures of a 20T press conversion from pump jack to air with a foot pedal control and my press brake and dies but I can't find it! :oops: I used 2in angle and depending what I'am bending can in lighter material get to about 1/2in return by stacking smaller angles inside the main die. The 3in angle itself would limit you to aprox a 2in return. For the nesting angles grind the o/s corner back a bit so they fit tight. Just have to get the right sizes so they set reasonably flush on top.
Coldman

Been thinking about just that.
Coldman

Nested a 2" angle as suggested. Might add a smaller one too when some comes my way.
Press Break2.jpg
Press Break2.jpg (84.53 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

What you did there is pretty cool. When I saw the thread title which said press brake, I figured you meant one like you would find in a Fab shop or similar. I have a Verson press at work which got me to thinking, being this is a welding forum, it's interesting but they actually welded the name Verson into the Press, basically welding the logo into the cast Steel. It's a big Hulk of a machine, 84 in wide. I don't know how many tons but it will take a 3/4 inch square piece of solid aluminum 6 in long and smash it flat so it's a lot of pressure. At first glance you would think it was a bit crude to weld the machine company name on to the machine. But whoever did the welding, obviously with a stick welder, was a magnificent welder. I'll have to post a picture of it if I remember to do so tomorrow. The letters must be 5 or 6 in high.

What year did here to make the dies and saddles for them is pretty cool. I have a similar set up for making c channel out of 4 foot sections of 16 gauge stainless. Very similar to what you're doing here.
BugHunter

Here's a pic of their logo.
Attachments
15931772740568198844893587416946.jpg
15931772740568198844893587416946.jpg (34.03 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
15931767714047610723368850127522.jpg
15931767714047610723368850127522.jpg (23.58 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

my daughters boss just picked up a new (to him) brake. I'll have to go have a look see at that one.
BillE.Dee

i received some pics of the brake....don't know HOW to get them in here. This thing is a monster.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

BugHunter wrote:What you did there is pretty cool. When I saw the thread title which said press brake, I figured you meant one like you would find in a Fab shop or similar. I have a Verson press at work which got me to thinking, being this is a welding forum, it's interesting but they actually welded the name Verson into the Press, basically welding the logo into the cast Steel. It's a big Hulk of a machine, 84 in wide. I don't know how many tons but it will take a 3/4 inch square piece of solid aluminum 6 in long and smash it flat so it's a lot of pressure. At first glance you would think it was a bit crude to weld the machine company name on to the machine. But whoever did the welding, obviously with a stick welder, was a magnificent welder. I'll have to post a picture of it if I remember to do so tomorrow. The letters must be 5 or 6 in high.

What year did here to make the dies and saddles for them is pretty cool. I have a similar set up for making c channel out of 4 foot sections of 16 gauge stainless. Very similar to what you're doing here.
Reminds me of the shipyard welders out in Pearl Harbor, HI. They used to have to weld designation numbers/letters on a lot of the plates and machinery for some reason and did it all with stick. They had some impressive penmanship for sure with those stick welders. Their welds were actually better than my handwriting even when I try to make it nice :lol:
BillE.Dee

BillE.Dee

this is that brake I was talking about. I have NO clue how it got here. Granddaughter did it. Now I have to pay her.
BugHunter

That's a beauty! Nice big one!