What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Colby
    Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:33 pm

Hi guys,
As the title indicates, I’m looking for a steel sphere to make into a fire “ball”. Anyone have suggestions where to get one?
Or how to make one by joining two half spheres?
It looks like if you joined two halves together it wouldn’t be round, more like almost round with a ridge in the middle. What’s the process to making it actually round?
Do you just eyeball it and trial and error until you get the right dimensions?

TIA

Colby
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Formed half spheres are a special order item. There are companies that specialize in forming caps for pipe and tanks, that’s who you need to find.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Here's a fun design I was fooling around with, perfect way to use up scrap sheet metal. Sorry for the bad pictures but it's actually pretty simple.

You need just 2 different shapes, 5 sided and 6 sided polygons, but the length of the sides HAS to be the same on both shapes, and itll all fit together giving you a sphere. Like a soccer ball pattern.

If you wanted to geek out you can cut a whole pile of triangles and basically build a geodesic dome. I went for this simpler design tho. Image
20200515_114911.jpg
20200515_114911.jpg (63.36 KiB) Viewed 2820 times
Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

JayWal, very nice, it looks like you have a 5 on the bottom (flat) then a row of 6 (sided) then alternating 5 and 6?
Richard
Website

Yeah that's right. Theres really no wrong way to assemble it if you cut the pieces right.

If you wanted to go simpler you could use just 5 sided pieces, much bigger ones tho. Giving you a 3D Pentagon. It's too squarish for my liking so I usually make this design.

I had a soccer ball to help me the first time, but it's pretty simple once my monkey brain figured it out.

BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I tried to make a mini one of those....had a heck of a time keeping the cuts right. The one I was working on had some squares in it also. Finally put it all up, mowed the lawn and had a barley pop or so.

BillE.Dee wrote:I tried to make a mini one of those....had a heck of a time keeping the cuts right. The one I was working on had some squares in it also. Finally put it all up, mowed the lawn and had a barley pop or so.
Cutting them is a lot harder than it looks, the cuts have to be really precise. Otherwise you have big gaps everywhere. And of course more gaps mean more barely pop and it all goes downhill from there.

BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Jay, how did ya get the cuts to equal out ? I "thought" that I measured them and cut the lines and still had some longer than others and ... well ... more barley pops ... ya know.

Drew them up on CAD, printed em on some heavier paper, cut it out and used it to trace onto the sheet metal. Zipcut from there. Was pretty tedious, I'm holding out till I can get my homebrew CNC table running and do it the easy way

chickenfarmer
    Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:06 pm

JayWal wrote:Here's a fun design I was fooling around with, perfect way to use up scrap sheet metal. Sorry for the bad pictures but it's actually pretty simple.

You need just 2 different shapes, 5 sided and 6 sided polygons, but the length of the sides HAS to be the same on both shapes, and itll all fit together giving you a sphere. Like a soccer ball pattern.

If you wanted to geek out you can cut a whole pile of triangles and basically build a geodesic dome. I went for this simpler design tho. Image
20200515_114911.jpg
That's super cool! Did you end up making a full sphere or is that finished? I'm guessing it's a firepit?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk