What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
RandyLittrell
    Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:00 pm

I have been building this table/cart and was planning to have my welder and bottles on the cart with a 30"x38" top. I have a large table that I build 25 years ago and is not flat at all but works for large projects/work bench.

I recently caught a post in another forum about someone not welding on his cart with the bottle on it for fear of causing arcs on the bottles.

I have seen a ton of table/cart video's and pictures but never has anyone commented on the bottle situation.

What do you guys think?

Its not done yet and maybe I need to change my plans??
Attachments
20200624_115307.jpg
20200624_115307.jpg (49.56 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

RandyLittrell wrote:What do you guys think?
Personally I don't think it's a good idea, if you arc the bottle most places won't refill/swap them.

The majority of carts don't have tables attached to the top of them. You could probably insulate it somehow, but I would be cautious of having the bottle held against the cart/table if you plan to ground to it.
RandyLittrell wrote:Its not done yet and maybe I need to change my plans??
I would try to design it so that either the bottle is insulated from the rest of the cart/table, or the table folds out and is somehow insulated from the cart.

Not trying to change your design or imply that it's no good, I would personally avoid it and create a small table that could store on the cart but be used detached from it, or that folded up with legs that dropped down and was sufficiently insulated from the cart.

From your photo you have enough space to park a Mac truck in there.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks wrote:I would try to design it so that either the bottle is insulated from the rest of the cart/table, or the table folds out and is somehow insulated from the cart.
Randy,

One way to insulate the bottle from the cart would be to place a section of UHMV, they have some that is high temp.

https://www.mcmaster.com/8270K71/

That might be marginal, it's 1" thick, but most tanks are 7" or 8" diameter, my 125 cu.ft. tank is 7".

Let's say you used a 9" x 9" piece for the bottom, cut 1/2" deep the diameter of the tank, so it fit inside the cutout. then use the remainder to create a spacer for the top of the tank to rest against, now you have the tank isolated from the cart/table. Just secure the tank with straps or other. Some people don't like straps, but I would in this case to prevent ground from transferring.

I was once wanting to design a mobile cart that had a table that I could take my welder and be able to setup and weld with only an extension cord, but I came to the conclusion that as long as I had the cart/welder/bottle together, I could always just use a cheap Nomad table or similar. I actually don't weld away from my shop very often at all, and I would be more likely to stick weld if I do.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

I'd agree that if you can't isolate the bottle mistakes will happen, but my biggest concern would be what the all the sparking, spattering and radiant heat from stick and mig welding would do to the hose and regulator, that would be making the assumption that you're going to have the bottle stick "through" the top of the cart and your table will be butted up against it. If the plan is to get a bottle that fits underneath the table top, then you'll forever be limited by having a frustratingly tiny bottle.
RandyLittrell

Thanks for the replies and I think its not too late to alter what I am doing. I am using this cart because I already had it and it was heavy duty and thought by adding some things to it, I could have a self contained cart to fab some smaller projects on.

My big table works great for what it is, but flat is one thing its not! It was built before the internet and youtube and I really didn't know about how to build something for fabrication. It was made from 4 pieces of 1/2" plate that were free and each one of those were not really flat.

I wanted the cart to hold not only my little Weldpro 155, but also my Son's Millermatic 215 with room for a plasma cutter or tig machine. I will post a couple more pics and I think change directions a little bit. I have a small shop am trying to maximize my space was another reason for the dual purpose cart.

Here is some more pics and please keep giving me ideas, Thanks!!

Randy
Attachments
20200527_152513 (1).jpg
20200527_152513 (1).jpg (48.7 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
20200624_115317.jpg
20200624_115317.jpg (52.15 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
TraditionalToolworks

Randy,

What I suggested with the UHVM would work just fine with your design, you could use wood even to create a separation between the tank and cart/table. I was merely suggesting that you insulate between them so that the tank wasn't grounded when you're welding on the table. I don't see that as being a good idea, just use some wood and be creative, wouldn't be that hard to insulate it from the table. ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
RandyLittrell

TraditionalToolworks wrote:Randy,

What I suggested with the UHVM would work just fine with your design, you could use wood even to create a separation between the tank and cart/table. I was merely suggesting that you insulate between them so that the tank wasn't grounded when you're welding on the table. I don't see that as being a good idea, just use some wood and be creative, wouldn't be that hard to insulate it from the table. ;)

I have some heavy rubber belting that I can use to insulate it that will work well, but I'm gonna think about my design for a bit before I continue with it. My lead on mig welder is not very long so it might be better on top of the cart and I have a top box you can see in the background that I could mount underneath for storage.

I do understand what you are saying and I am not worried too much about it, I have been an autoglass and body man for 35 years and am used to dealing with sensitive electronics and fuel sources for a long time. I think with a little insulation and grounding my work in the proper area it would never be an issue. But now would be a good time to switch gears before I get any farther.

Randy