What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Wolfpack3
    Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:20 am

I am in the process of welding up a weathervane with 16oz copper sheet with de-oxidized copper rod with my syncrowave 250 and wondered if anyone has any experience in doing this...settings,electrode etc?
Thanks

Welcome to the form
That's pretty thin sheet, I haven't welded (TIG) this gauge but have done copper, perhaps a silicon bronze filler would be best as you don't need a lot of structural strength

Do you have a pic of what you're doing?
Richard
Website
Wolfpack3
    Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:20 am

Richard,
Thanks for the reply! I have welded with deoxidized copper before with good results but it's been a long time ago.
This is one I did a few years ago.
5lb bass
5lb bass
IMG_4035.jpg (51.17 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Start out around 30 amps. Use a foot control or thumb wheel. You might need to bump the max up 5 amps at a time or so to find a good puddle point. Depending on overall mass copper can pull heat away pretty fast , so it may take more than you think. But after it gets hot it may take much less. That’s where the rheostat comes in.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I have more questions than answers

Josh
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

The numbers on that chart look a little more like what I was doing. My amps were pretty high because I couldn't even get a puddle started at low current.

I have 20 oz copper because I used it for flashing on my chimneys. I just played around with some of the pieces and had fairly decent luck with welding it but I did put a lot of heat in the part which anneals the material something terrible. If I had more time to play with it I would probably get some of that water putty stuff that you used to sink heat out of your part. There's got to be a better way than what I was doing. I used clean Romex as my filler rod. 14 gauge. Straight argon and DC at I want to say 100 to 150 amps but it's been a while so I don't remember.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

If I were to do it again I would do very short areas and allow a lot of cooling between. Copper heats up something terrible when you weld it.