What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
av8or1

There ya go:
plasma 23.jpg
plasma 23.jpg (32.58 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
av8or1

Oscar wrote:Nice work. Consider putting a small desiccant dryer after the water-separator/before the plasma. Can't hurt, and they're only $8-10.
Good suggestion, thanks!
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

av8or1 wrote:Are you referring to the max input current? I seem to recall that it is 42-point-something amps for 110V and 48-point-something amps for 220V. Thus they suggest running it on a 50A breaker. I'll see if I can get a better picture of it for ya though, sure...
Yes, that's exactly what I was after.
av8or1 wrote:There ya go:
Thank you so much. Unfortunately you can't get this info easily and I suspected it required more power than I had here at my house...I only have a 30 amp circuit for my entire shop, I run a 7-1/2HP RPC off it and use it for single phase also. I could upgrade the breaker, but my entire home and shop runs on a 125 amp service which is not very big. I have a fair number of computers running and my wife cooks constantly as she does that for a living.

The new shop will be no problems, but the right thing for me is to wait until I have that setup to get a Plasma.

That will need a 50 amp circuit to be comfortable, as you note, but it might run on a 40 amp circuit.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
av8or1

TraditionalToolworks wrote:That will need a 50 amp circuit to be comfortable, as you note, but it might run on a 40 amp circuit.
Oh sure, it would run on less. I did that tonight in fact. When I tested the 110V it was on a 30A breaker IIRC. 'Course, it tripped that breaker once and I had to reset it, so ... be aware of that. lol

That said, I think that the 225X TIG welder also requires a 50A circuit breaker doesn't it? I haven't cracked open the manual yet, as the focus was on the plasma table today... If it does, what are you using to run it?
TraditionalToolworks

av8or1 wrote:That said, I think that the 225X TIG welder also requires a 50A circuit breaker doesn't it? I haven't cracked open the manual yet, as the focus was on the plasma table today... If it does, what are you using to run it?
No, I run mine on a 30 amp 240v circuit.

It really requires 34.x I believe, but I have only run mine up to about 150-160 amps of stick. Stick uses the most amps by far. I've run tig up to 190 and didn't pop my breaker. For most stuff I do, 160-180 amps of tig is plenty and 120-140 amps of stick is plenty. I have only done minimal aluminum though, and most people say that's where you want more amps. Aluminum is pricey though, and steel works best for most of my projects, yet I wanted aluminum for some tooling projects I have in the queue.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
av8or1

Really? A 225A TIG welder runs on only 30A input? I'm a-gonna have to read a bit of the manual later today when I make it out to the workshop!
TraditionalToolworks

av8or1 wrote:Really? A 225A TIG welder runs on only 30A input? I'm a-gonna have to read a bit of the manual later today when I make it out to the workshop!
Absolutely, it has a 34.x Imax. Check the label on the rear, I posted it here in WTAT also. That's the entire reason I asked for a better shot of the CUT60 label. :D
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
av8or1

TraditionalToolworks wrote:Absolutely, it has a 34.x Imax. Check the label on the rear, I posted it here in WTAT also. That's the entire reason I asked for a better shot of the CUT60 label. :D
Wow!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Yes my TIG at the full 220A (on TIG mode) pulls about 32A from the outlet.
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:Yes my TIG at the full 220A (on TIG mode) pulls about 32A from the outlet.
In all fairness, the Primeweld is not rated quite as low as your 221 DV. It is rated at 34 amps for what your DV is rated for 32 amps.

Also, keep in mind, this is NOT the case for stick, MMA is 46.3 amps at full 180 amp capacity on the Primeweld, TIG is 34 amps at 225 amps.

MMA takes quite a bit more. You can weld up to 200 amps TIG or 120 amps MMA safely on a 30 amp circuit. You can burn 1/8" electrodes without popping the breaker. I've run stick at ~140 amps, so it can do it for short beads.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
av8or1

Well it was both an intriguing and somewhat productive day in the workshop today, so I can't complain whatsoever. Mama (my wife-eee) wanted to work on her outdoor rocking chair and so I had watch-the-lil-un duties for most of the afternoon and evening. Can't complain about that however, since the time when mom-n-dad aren't cool anymore will come 'round all too soon. Thus having my son in the workshop with me is a treasure I'll not refuse. Projects can wait dontchaknow.

That said, I decided that with the little time I had available I would tackle the expansion/extension element. That seemed like a reasonable task to polish off given the time limitation. In the end I fabricated them but needed to postpone the leveling mechanism until later on. 'Just not enough time today. No worries. But I'm getting ahead of myself. So. The expansion/extension material cut to length:
extensions 1.jpg
extensions 1.jpg (68.66 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
I placed the longitudinal members along the sides and the inserts into the end framing:
extensions 2.jpg
extensions 2.jpg (65.04 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
Taking care to get the extension tubing level with the tubing of the table, naturally. Thus the reason for the small bits of tubing resting on the top of the table in the second picture.
av8or1

After a little grinding with the flap disc in order to minimize the distance that the weld bead will cause the extension's longitudinal member to separate from the table when in the fully closed position, that's one side done:
extensions 3.jpg
extensions 3.jpg (73.74 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
And in no time I had the other side matching the first:
extensions 4.jpg
extensions 4.jpg (215.56 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
av8or1

Removed them so that I could apply rusty metal primer:
extensions 5.jpg
extensions 5.jpg (71.77 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
Then re-installed them when that was pseudo-dry.
extensions 6.jpg
extensions 6.jpg (204.21 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
I opted for lateral extensions on this project rather than ones on the ends. For my use case scenarios I will likely need the width that this choice yields over the length of the opposite selection. So this was a design decision from the outset, but I didn't have it in the drawings. It's also the reason that I fabbed the frame ends the way I did. Ordinarily I would have taken a different path during the table's foundation portion of the overall build. However in order to have these lateral extensions I would need to fab the table ends in the manner that I did. 'Design choice. FWIW.
av8or1

All too soon it was time to pack up for the night so that I could get inside and help the wife with the lil' un. So I pushed the extensions in, removed the CUT60 and wheeled it outside. Prior to doing that I took this picture:
extensions 7.jpg
extensions 7.jpg (195.66 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
And this one to show the idea of the design:
how it will work 1.jpg
how it will work 1.jpg (59.31 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
When possible, the CUT60 will live on the shelf of the table, as will whatever drying apparatus I end up with (which reminds me to take a look online for a desiccant dryer as Oscar mentioned). When the table can live indoors permanently I'll update the casters and perhaps create a small bin to hold consumables, etc.

However lots of little things still need-doin' on this build. I need a handle, hose coiling/hanging bracketry, etc. I did decide to tack the lower shelf in 5 places today rather than leave them free-form. That was because my son attempted to climb on the top of it and one of those panels moved slightly when he did. That didn't affect his mount, mind you. He was on top of it in nothing flat dontchaknow. However as a dad, I eye-balled that panel and privately told it "...that's it, you're getting locked down and immediately so." :D

Anyway. That's where it ended today. With tomorrow being a holiday, at least for most of us (including me), I plan to work on the project again. I might be able to polish off all of the outstanding stuff if I have the time, but we'll see. Trying to keep the big picture in mind and just enjoy the journey, as I referred to yesterday. :)

Thank you for reading.

ps-Forgot to mention that one of the small tasks on the TO-DO list is to create a leveling mechanism for the extensions when they are out of their resting position. The tubing has that seam in it dontchaknow, so I had to go with 1.5" x 1.5" for the inserts (they didn't have anything between that and 2" x 2"). Yes, I am aware of the gadgets that can be had or built to remove the seam in tubing. However I'm not all that keen on what I've seen for one reason or another. So, I will likely opt for a few all threads mounted/welded onto some type of handle and a few captives. Standard stuff...
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

Great looking table.

Really enjoyed the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks

Looks good Jerry! ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
av8or1

Taking a project break, waiting in an astonishingly long line to get ice cream. Family time, good stuff.

Installed the handles this morning. I decided to make do with whatever I had lying around. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but I found some 1.5 "x 1.5" x 3/16" tubing that was of an acceptable length to halve and use on each end. If you make the handles flush with the top of the table the they can serve as a fixed extension of sorts. I didn't like anything that I had on hand for the handle arms. I found lots of 5/8" solid round that I have no plans for, so I decided to go with that. However to employ just one would seem weak, puny and I don't play that. So I doubled them up, which still seemed a bit meh but I elected to leave it at that.

Material cut to length:
IMG_07092020_143237_(920_x_1227_pixel).jpg
IMG_07092020_143237_(920_x_1227_pixel).jpg (74.76 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
And clamped into position :
IMG_07092020_143310_(920_x_690_pixel).jpg
IMG_07092020_143310_(920_x_690_pixel).jpg (62.43 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
Ok the line is reducing. Gotta go. More later. Enjoy y'alls day!

Nice setup
Richard
Website
av8or1

DavidR8 wrote:Great looking table.

Really enjoyed the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you David, I appreciate it. I only wish it was over. :D
av8or1

LtBadd wrote:Nice setup
Thank you also!
av8or1

Resuming the end handle installation on the plasma table ...

Once the handle was positioned I took care to align the center of the table with the center of the handle itself:
handles 3.jpg
handles 3.jpg (47.46 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
Then with a little elbow grease that's one side done:
handles 4.jpg
handles 4.jpg (59.91 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
av8or1

Soon after both sides were done:
handles 5.jpg
handles 5.jpg (63.85 KiB) Viewed 1764 times
And into rusty metal primer:
handles 6.jpg
handles 6.jpg (65.38 KiB) Viewed 1764 times
av8or1

Interruptions to tend to family stuff abounded as per normal (no complaints). However I took a break from the plasma build to test the 225X. Details on that in the TIG cart thread. Once that was completed and we had our family dinner I headed out to a box store to pick up the hardware for the leveling of the lateral extensions:
extensions 8.jpg
extensions 8.jpg (212.82 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
Then fabbed the beginnings of the support mounts:
extensions 9.jpg
extensions 9.jpg (40.06 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
'Had to call it a night at that point fellas; time to close up shop, get inside and help with the lil' un.

Hope y'all had a great holiday weekend!

Thank you for reading.
av8or1

Still outside working, so I'll have to keep this short. Need to mow the lawn in a bit. So I finished the plasma table this afternoon. Well about 95% of it anyway. I still need to install a couple of hooks to store the torch cable onto. Save that I'm done.

The primary elements that needed fixing were the extensions. With the 2x2 outer tube and the 1.5x1.5 inner tube there was a significant droop that I didn't want to live with:
IMG_13092020_155928_(920_x_1227_pixel).jpg
IMG_13092020_155928_(920_x_1227_pixel).jpg (82.54 KiB) Viewed 1732 times
So I cut some angle iron, round stock, tubing and all thread:
IMG_13092020_155949_(920_x_1227_pixel).jpg
IMG_13092020_155949_(920_x_1227_pixel).jpg (76.3 KiB) Viewed 1732 times
Last edited by av8or1 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TraditionalToolworks

av8or1 wrote:Still outside working, so I'll have to keep this short. Need to mow the lawn in a bit. So I finished the plasma table this afternoon. Well about 95% of it anyway. I still need to install a couple of hooks to store the torch cable onto. Save that I'm done.
Sold my Milwaukee Abrasive Cut-Off saw today and have 2 people interested in my Everlast welder. Was thinking of getting the Esab Miniarc 180i to replace the Everlast, but now thinking the CUT60 might make sense, even if I can't fully use it power wise, I will have more power in my new shop. Re-thinking that now.

Your table looks great!
Collector of old Iron!

Alan