What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
av8or1

Between the all thread and nuts at the base of the tubing and the angle iron and round bits serving as gussets:
IMG_13092020_160008_(920_x_690_pixel).jpg
IMG_13092020_160008_(920_x_690_pixel).jpg (63.61 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
The combination yields a flat surface even when extended to an inner length of 10.5":
IMG_13092020_160036_(920_x_690_pixel).jpg
IMG_13092020_160036_(920_x_690_pixel).jpg (52.22 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
IMG_13092020_160100_(920_x_690_pixel).jpg
IMG_13092020_160100_(920_x_690_pixel).jpg (62.49 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
And that's more than acceptable to me. So I elected to leave it at that.

Decided to just leave the table in rusty metal primer and not paint it, given the abuse that such tables see during their lifespan. Can touch it up easily as needed. And that's that. Now to create space in the workshop so that I can leave it indoors full time! :lol:
av8or1

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
av8or1 wrote:Still outside working, so I'll have to keep this short. Need to mow the lawn in a bit. So I finished the plasma table this afternoon. Well about 95% of it anyway. I still need to install a couple of hooks to store the torch cable onto. Save that I'm done.
Sold my Milwaukee Abrasive Cut-Off saw today and have 2 people interested in my Everlast welder. Was thinking of getting the Esab Miniarc 180i to replace the Everlast, but now thinking the CUT60 might make sense, even if I can't fully use it power wise, I will have more power in my new shop. Re-thinking that now.

Your table looks great!
Do it! DO IT!
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

av8or1 wrote:Do it! DO IT!
Can you tell me what the dimensions are on the CUT60?

Having a hard time finding that information out. :(
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
av8or1

specifications 2.jpg
specifications 2.jpg (74.54 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
specifications 1.jpg
specifications 1.jpg (47.32 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
TraditionalToolworks

Thanks Jerry, gonna be close...was curious if it would fit on the lower frame of my cart. Might just barely fit, depends how they measure. On the 225 the height was just a tad lower.

So far no sale, still have my green weenie...had 2 people that said they wanted it but no response after...in the end I got the green weenie... :lol:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
av8or1

TraditionalToolworks wrote:Thanks Jerry, gonna be close...was curious if it would fit on the lower frame of my cart. Might just barely fit, depends how they measure. On the 225 the height was just a tad lower.

So far no sale, still have my green weenie...had 2 people that said they wanted it but no response after...in the end I got the green weenie... :lol:
Confused ... wait ... Wha-? Are you saying that the height of the 225X is lower/less? Surely not, 'cause it ain't so. Thus:
temp 1.jpg
temp 1.jpg (247.43 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
temp 2.jpg
temp 2.jpg (217.54 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
The 225X is just under 21" while the CUT60 is just under 17". The CUT60 is slightly narrower too. The boxes appear to roughly equal in depth.

GL selling the green box. You gotta get a CUT60 though!
TraditionalToolworks

av8or1 wrote:Confused ... wait ... Wha-? Are you saying that the height of the 225X is lower/less? Surely not, 'cause it ain't so. Thus:
I take that back then...I thought it was like 1/4" shorter when I measured on the floor, but it wasn't scientific. :D
av8or1 wrote:GL selling the green box. You gotta get a CUT60 though!
I could use some good luck...this is one of the interested buyers last night:
some butthead wrote:Thanks for the response, I am ready to make an instant purchase. My mode of payment would be a Company Check via USPS Express delivery. I'll arrange for a local pick up as soon as you get the check and have it cleared at your bank, I would love to come by, but due to some family reasons, I'm sorry I won't be available and I hope that's not a problem?

Kindly get back to me with your Full Name and mailing address and apt # if available, including your cell number and Last Asking Price for the item so I can mail out payment and everything will go smoothly.
I told him to go blow himself. :lol: (I was a bit surprised his company wasn't in Nigeria)

Another guy this morning asked if I would take $250 cash for it today. I told him I'd take $550 cash from him. I priced it at $450. ;)

I'm really loosing faith in craigslist. I've found a lot of good stuff on there in the past, but it's getting to be scammers all around...a guy tried to scam me on a $15,000 Telehandler a week or so back, wanting me to transfer money into his bank account through Ebay Buyer Protection...only problem, his phone number was in SoCal, Ebay is about 4-5 miles down the road from me on Hamilton, and the Telehandler was in Omaha, NE.

Ok, sorry for the rant, not trying to derail your thread.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
av8or1

TraditionalToolworks wrote:I take that back then...I thought it was like 1/4" shorter when I measured on the floor, but it wasn't scientific. :D
Ah. Well yes, the CUT60 is a noticeably smaller and lighter box than the 225X. Just so ya know...
TraditionalToolworks wrote:I could use some good luck...this is one of the interested buyers last night:
(Obvious scam email SNIPPED)

I told him to go blow himself. :lol: (I was a bit surprised his company wasn't in Nigeria)
Surprised you even responded. Seems like every time I post on CL I get this kind of horse-hockey. 'Just par for the course w/CL.
TraditionalToolworks wrote:Another guy this morning asked if I would take $250 cash for it today. I told him I'd take $550 cash from him. I priced it at $450. ;)
Well I suppose it depends on how badly you want to be rid of your green box. :lol:
TraditionalToolworks wrote:I'm really loosing faith in craigslist. I've found a lot of good stuff on there in the past, but it's getting to be scammers all around...a guy tried to scam me on a $15,000 Telehandler a week or so back, wanting me to transfer money into his bank account through Ebay Buyer Protection...only problem, his phone number was in SoCal, Ebay is about 4-5 miles down the road from me on Hamilton, and the Telehandler was in Omaha, NE.

Ok, sorry for the rant, not trying to derail your thread.
Nah, yak away. I suppose that we've all been there, done that, got the shirt WRT CL. One of mine was a guy who wanted $5 off for having to drive so far to see the chop saw I was selling. It took most all of the inner patience I could drum-up to deal with that. It's not like I lied about my location, he knew where it was prior to leaving his whatever. I wanted to tell him to shove off, that if he couldn't read a map I didn't know what to tell him. However the wife-eee and son were within ear shot, so I just gave him the $5 he wanted, threw the discs into his truck and closed the gate. That was prior to COVID though; don't really have strangers around these days. If anyone was interested in something I was offering I'd probably meet in a box store parking lot or some such ...
TraditionalToolworks

av8or1 wrote:Ah. Well yes, the CUT60 is a noticeably smaller and lighter box than the 225X. Just so ya know...
Yeah, and the more I think about it although I would like to have the Esab Miniarc 180i, I think it makes more sense to have 1 welder and 1 Plasma rather than 2 welders.
av8or1 wrote:Surprised you even responded. Seems like every time I post on CL I get this kind of horse-hockey. 'Just par for the course w/CL.
Yeah, I need thicker skin.
av8or1 wrote:Well I suppose it depends on how badly you want to be rid of your green box. :lol:
Not that bad, I keep pondering if keeping it is the right thing to do. It's a very usable box, although with the Primeweld it takes back seat.
av8or1 wrote:Nah, yak away. I suppose that we've all been there, done that, got the shirt WRT CL.
Yeah, it's a mixed bag...but my best scores come from craigslist...just seems these days and especially since this COVID 'thang, more and more scammers seem to be resorting to it.
av8or1 wrote:If anyone was interested in something I was offering I'd probably meet in a box store parking lot or some such ...
I try to do that unless it's something that needs power to test. Even so, I wouldn't let some of these folks come over my house that try to scam me. No more bites today, but waiting patiently for the right buyer. Someone wanting to buy it for $250 is not looking to buy a tig welder.

Back to the CUT60, a guy I've known for a number of years on Practical Machinists (when I did frequent the forums there) has a YT channel and he got a CUT60 recently and said it wouldn't cut through 5/8" plate. I found that odd as there's a guy who showed it cutting through almost 1" of plate, 4 x 1/4", and it cut cleanly through 3/4" of plate. He wasn't sure if something was wrong with his machine or not, but that's the only odd thing I've heard about the CUT60.

Have you tried to cut through anything that thick? (stacked or solid?) My understanding is that stacked is more difficult to cut through, so the fact the CUT60 as able to cut through almost 1" (4 x 1/4" plates stacked) says something for it.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

What's his plasma cutter experience? Digging up the email from a year ago when I asked on the specs, they rate it up to 3/4 clean cut and 1" severance which is around what I'd expect for the output. He may be used to using something like an over driven oxy-fuel torch, a Spectrum 875, Powermax65 or even some 100 amp monster machine and expecting it to cut at the same travel rate or he could not be that familiar with plasma cutting at all and not realize it's not going to cut on the top end like a circular saw through plywood.

I rewatched the test on youtube you're referencing and I remember thinking his travel speed was a tad off when I first watched it so I actually timed each cut with a stop watch.
19 seconds 1/4"

35 seconds 3/4"

39 seconds 1"

If I use a spectrum 875 for reference, which is likely a bit more capable machine though it is the same amp output just to get an idea of proportional travel speed, we get 105IPM for 1/4", 18IPM for 3/4" and 10IPM for 1". If we use a Spectrum 625 which is only 40 amp machine but possibly a more equivalent cut rating then we get 64IPM for 1/4" 13IPM for 5/8" and a sever rate of 5IPM on 7/8"

In short I think it's likely even more capable on 1/4 and 1/2 than depicted in the video and I don't doubt it's easily capable of severing 5/8, if you'd really consider it up to the job of cutting it all day, I feel like it might depend on your patience.
av8or1

Yeah I'd agree. I have no reason to doubt their clean an severance cut claims. I tried it on some 1/2" plate that I had lying around. It cut it rather cleanly, though obviously I had to slow down my travel speed. It comes with the standoff, so you can just rest that on the workpiece. When you do, you can feel when a cut is made clean through that workpiece versus when it isn't. I used that "feel" as a guide to dictate my travel speed and it worked out well. For me at least.

In the end I couldn't be happier with the CUT60, given the price point for the feature set, and the same warranty-backing and customer service. I'd recommend it.
TraditionalToolworks

sbaker56 wrote:What's his plasma cutter experience?
I don't know exactly, he said he would respond when he gets back in town. He's got a lot of machines, and he did use the CUT60 for some work he was doing, he's not a dumb guy by any means. But he hasn't called Mike yet either, he said he's trying to figure out if it's something stupid he's done. His friend has either the same cutter or a similar one and his friend's works fine. That's about all I can tell you.

Here's one of his videos.

So the GW saga continues, a guy says he's coming over tomorrow or Wed. to buy it. If he buys it I'm gonna buy the CUT60 most likely...
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
av8or1

Yeah from what I see in this video his travel speed is inconsistent at best. He doesn't appear to have the feel for how to use a plasma, or at least not this one. So I wouldn't put too much weight into this feedback. If done right, the CUT60 will live up to its billing, at least in my (admittedly limited) experience thus far (1/2" plate).

FWIW.
TraditionalToolworks

av8or1 wrote:Yeah from what I see in this video his travel speed is inconsistent at best. He doesn't appear to have the feel for how to use a plasma, or at least not this one. So I wouldn't put too much weight into this feedback. If done right, the CUT60 will live up to its billing, at least in my (admittedly limited) experience thus far (1/2" plate).

FWIW.
Yeah, I wondered some about his travel speed, but I have no experience with plasma at all, so didn't want to criticize him as he was getting those beams cut for his project.

Last night I did have some concerns thinking about the power required for the CUT60. Currently I only have a 30 amp 240v circuit, and I don't think that is enough to get the full benefit of the CUT60, yet I will eventually have more power at the new shop.

I need to think about this and/or see if the guy comes to buy my green weenie today or tomorrow. The Miniarc would be a no brainer, I could run it at home and down at the yard which also has limited power, and would be an XLNT 6010 machine to boot. The other side is that since I don't stick weld too often the CUT60 would make more sense, but I would need to upgrade the breaker and wire to really get some value at my house which I would probably use it at mostly. Have you ever seen how much power these CUT60s use when cutting? I don't think I have myself.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
av8or1

Well I didn't throw an ammeter on it or anything, but I was able to cut the 1/8" diamond plate on 110V. I had to travel a bit slower to do that; therefore I switched to 220V and was able to move through it much quicker. So I'd say to just bite the bullet and get the power upgrade. You won't regret having the plasma around, believe me!
TraditionalToolworks

av8or1 wrote:So I'd say to just bite the bullet and get the power upgrade.
Yeah, I agree, it just wasn't something I was planning to do, my panel is filled and I have an additional panel running out to my office...I'm really maxed out for the 125 amps I have. If I was to upgrade to a 50 amp circuit, that's close to half my amps. Not that I would use it all the time, that much I get...

OTOH, keeping my green weenie will run on a 30 amp 240v service just fine.

EDIT: I just pulled the ad. I have cash if I want to buy the CUT60, that's not really an issue. I think I'm going to wait power wise however. I feel I might be getting ahead of myself on the plasma, at the lake I will have the power eventually when setup and I will have the space to have a plasma table to setup. I think this pandemic BS is making me indecisive.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
av8or1

Ya think??? :lol:
sbaker56

Rather timely retesting of the Cut60 on 1", you can also see a shot of the manual stating the given travel speed for 5/8". 17IPM which is plenty tolerable in my opinion if you're not going to be cutting several feet every day. The cut on 1" was also pretty decent for a rough severance cut, i didn't see any real bevel or anything that would require so much grinding as to be unacceptable.

av8or1

The fella in this video brings a good point to light. The air static versus line air pressure. I noticed the difference he illustrated myself, mostly because I was curious - only after having powered up the machine and ready to cut that diamond plate - as to what the set air switch would do. When I pressed it, my eyes immediately caught the needle jump on the gauge. So I decided to set the pressure based on the line rather than the static. And that's the way it is supposed to be set, according to what I read. Anyway FWIW.
TraditionalToolworks

sbaker56 wrote:Rather timely retesting of the Cut60 on 1", you can also see a shot of the manual stating the given travel speed for 5/8". 17IPM which is plenty tolerable in my opinion if you're not going to be cutting several feet every day. The cut on 1" was also pretty decent for a rough severance cut, i didn't see any real bevel or anything that would require so much grinding as to be unacceptable.
That is timely. I am going to be getting one in the near future, just don't think it's time to pull the trigger today. :oops:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
sbaker56

av8or1 wrote:The fella in this video brings a good point to light. The air static versus line air pressure. I noticed the difference he illustrated myself, mostly because I was curious - only after having powered up the machine and ready to cut that diamond plate - as to what the set air switch would do. When I pressed it, my eyes immediately caught the needle jump on the gauge. So I decided to set the pressure based on the line rather than the static. And that's the way it is supposed to be set, according to what I read. Anyway FWIW.

Yepp, it also applies to torches and TIG/MIG regulators.
av8or1

Alright, I uploaded the plasma table build video to YouTube. Sheesh but was that a long wait ... now I remember why I never allowed myself to become much of a YouTuber ... just wow. SOooooooooo long to upload. But that's the nature of the beast, so no complaint's. Is what it is. Anyway all of that is to say that I didn't attempt to make this video all that good really; just capture parts of the build, speed them up to stupid-fast speed and talk a bit. Leave it at that.
TraditionalToolworks

Cat got your tongue? :lol:

I think the table looks good, not patient enough to follow the Chapiln movie... ;)

EDIT: I stand corrected Jerry, you do speak around the middle of the video and explain things.

Good on 'ya! :D
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
av8or1

TraditionalToolworks wrote:Cat got your tongue? :lol:

I think the table looks good, not patient enough to follow the Chapiln movie... ;)

EDIT: I stand corrected Jerry, you do speak around the middle of the video and explain things.

Yeah well I prefer seeing the work being done rather than someone talking about what they are going to do, but actually doing it off-camera. They then pop back up, re-explain what they did and then this process repeats. Bleech. I'd rather just see the work being completed with minimal conversation. More do, less talk. I did too much of the latter in this video, but oh well. :lol:
av8or1

av8or1 wrote:
TraditionalToolworks wrote:Cat got your tongue? :lol:

Yeah well I prefer seeing the work being done rather than someone talking about what they are going to do, but actually doing it off-camera. They then pop back up, re-explain what they did and then this process repeats. But you never see anything being done, only the before and after. Bleech. I'd rather just see the work being completed with minimal conversation. More do, less talk. I did too much of the latter in this video, but oh well. :lol: