What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:56 pm

Hi all,
First Post here on this site.
Wpuld really like some advice on a project I'm working on.
So I'm building a new welding table (see render pictures).
So I picked up the (1200x900x12) top from the laser cutters and it has some crown in it, havent actually measured it yet but maybe 2mm, mostly across the 900.
I have 4x 53mm braces that will run across the 900 from side to side... 1 on each end and 2 a cross the middle.
I'm hoping that when I clamp these down it will pull the top flat.

My question is should I be welding it with the crown to the bottom, or the crown to the top... Is welding on the bracing going to want to pull the middle down or push it up when it's cooled, and is there a method/order of welding you would recommend, bearing in mind the tension it will be under when it's clamped flat.
The 1200 edge will be welded to the 65x65x6 rails (which the 50x50 extensions slide into).
And the 900 edge will just have the 900x53x12 rails.
Should I possibly make the 53mm rail taller? Or possibly add some 65x65 across under those rails?

Hope this makes sense.
Cheers.
weld33333.png
weld33333.png (352.62 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
Attachments
weld_table3.png
weld_table3.png (210.53 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
weld3castors.png
weld3castors.png (299.18 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
weld3.png
weld3.png (149.69 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
av8or1

Well your question wasn't quite clear to me somehow, but if you are searching for tips on how to minimize distortion and wondering which direction to weld stuff when constructing ... I dunno something, a table, whatever, then take a look at Jody's video (assuming that you haven't already).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pf-qQD ... ex=72&t=0s
I thought that he provided a good explanation. There are other distortion related videos out there too. Jody's is merely the first one I would recommend. Good luck with the project!
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Thickness of your top material is going to make a big difference.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I had my top laser cut as well. I anticipated some kind of crown so I overbuilt the frame so it would hopefully be stiff enough to straighten the top. My cross members are 2x4 tubing, 1/4" wall. (Sorry I have no idea what that is in metric).

I set to top onto the frame and bolted it on the frame using U bolts, and laid a straightedge across it (a 12' plate level i borrowed for a carpenter buddy in my case). Then marked the low spots, slipped some shims I sheared out of 22 guage sheet metal between the top and the frame. Bolted the top back down and checked with the level again. Once I was satisfied I then tacked the top to the frame from underneath, after a liberal amount of tacks to keep it from pulling/shrinking added a few short welds to completely secure it to the frame.

It was a bit of a painstaking process but I can confidently say my top is within a 1/32 of an inch.

My top is 3/4" and it bowed/straightened a lot easier than I expected. Really glad I didn't go any thinner.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Super nice!
Richard
Website

JayWal wrote:I had my top laser cut as well. I anticipated some kind of crown so I overbuilt the frame so it would hopefully be stiff enough to straighten the top. My cross members are 2x4 tubing, 1/4" wall. (Sorry I have no idea what that is in metric).

I set to top onto the frame and bolted it on the frame using U bolts, and laid a straightedge across it (a 12' plate level i borrowed for a carpenter buddy in my case). Then marked the low spots, slipped some shims I sheared out of 22 guage sheet metal between the top and the frame. Bolted the top back down and checked with the level again. Once I was satisfied I then tacked the top to the frame from underneath, after a liberal amount of tacks to keep it from pulling/shrinking added a few short welds to completely secure it to the frame.

It was a bit of a painstaking process but I can confidently say my top is within a 1/32 of an inch.

My top is 3/4" and it bowed/straightened a lot easier than I expected. Really glad I didn't go any thinner.ImageImageImage

Nice! Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Anytime. Let us know how you make out!

OK guys,
Went with building the frame then putting the curve down and clamping the edges down.
Worked great. ImageImageImageImage

Nice! Really good lookin table.

Have you bought any clamps or fixturing for it yet? Or are you planning to make your own?

Thanks man, yea I'm really happy with it. Have some castors coming for it too.
I have a couple of files for "fireball" type squares and I will search around for ideas.
As for clamps, I'll start with modifying what I have to see what works best and add to my collection based on that.

I'm in the same boat, planning to make a lot of clamps and squares this winter, definitely need them. I've drawn up a couple different size squares, the next time I have to get some parts laser cut ill get those cut as well. Really looking forward to using em.

I'll try to post some pictures when I do, would like to see fixturing that you or anyone has made too.

Everything is working well so far, have converted a few tools so they bolt on to the table when in use.
Castors on, super easy to move around.
And Mig fits underneath too. Image

BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

^^^^ Nice.
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

That is a very nice table. Job well done !!
gramps

BugHunter wrote:^^^^ Nice.
DavidR8 wrote:Very nice!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Super nice!! 8-)
Richard
Website