What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
av8or1

Oscar wrote:So what I do, is for sharpening new 1/16" tungstens and touching up larger tungstens I use this, as well as polishing all tungstens. For getting the initial grind on 3/32"+ tungstens, I use a 6" bench grinder with a standard (rough-ish) aluminum oxide wheel to remove material fast.
Thank you for the feedback. What if you were to weld something other than aluminum, say mild or stainless steel? Would an aluminum oxide wheel still be ok to use for that scenario?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

av8or1 wrote:
Oscar wrote:So what I do, is for sharpening new 1/16" tungstens and touching up larger tungstens I use this, as well as polishing all tungstens. For getting the initial grind on 3/32"+ tungstens, I use a 6" bench grinder with a standard (rough-ish) aluminum oxide wheel to remove material fast.
Thank you for the feedback. What if you were to weld something other than aluminum, say mild or stainless steel? Would an aluminum oxide wheel still be ok to use for that scenario?
I personally don't believe it is an issue. :
av8or1

Ok thanks.

With tungsten being so dense, I find it difficult to imagine a softer material could be impregnated into it,(but then I'm not a materials scientist) now if I grind the tungsten to the point of it getting red hot that may change things, even then I would think any minute traces would vaporize as soon as an arc is initiated. Never had any issues with a just sharpen tungsten on an aluminum oxide wheel.

Maybe you've seen the video of Aaron at 6061.com (sharpening tungsten) using a belt sander that obviously have been used extensively on aluminum.
Richard
Website
av8or1

Thanks LtBadd for the feedback.

Well considering the general favorability for sharpening tungstens on an aluminum oxide wheel and the fact that I purchased one of those in addition to the diamond wheel, I would hazard to conclude that I should be set for a while in regard to this whole sharpening business.

Good to know!

Sharpening a 3/32" tungsten on the HF Mini grinder. Can be done, but it takes long on this wheel because it is a pretty fine grit, but none the less it can be done. I didn't put a needle point, as it was just a quick demo.

av8or1

Thank you for making that video Oscar!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Do you not encounter a wavering arc due to angular grinding? Or are the grinding marks so fine it doesn’t materially effect it?

Any grinding wheel takes time to go from blunt to taper, whether it’s a DIY or pricey grinder. I wouldn’t consider this undue.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Well, I've tried to post this twice now...

I bought one of these
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-150mm-Straig ... 2749.l2649

I won't use it the way Oscar was using his wheel due to this being rubber, and likely going to catch the tungsten and send it for a speedy ride around the shop, if not into me. So, I just grind the other way with the tungsten aimed with the wheel instead of point into it.

I didn't buy the diamond wheel for tungsten really, more for carbide tool grinding. My motor on the grinder is 3750 rpm which is probably almost necessary for a wheel like this.

If I want to polish a tungsten, I use a 3M fiber wheel made for polishing. That's also on a 3750rpm grinder, but that one is 2" wide by 10" dia.

cj737 wrote:Do you not encounter a wavering arc due to angular grinding?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I grind the tungsten in the direction supposed to be ground, just as the video shows, parallel to the longer/ length axis.
cj737

Forgive me, it appeared that at a few times the tungsten was off angle. Maybe it was a lack of depth perception of the camera.
av8or1

During lunch today I stopped by the welding supply store to see about a bottle of argon. When it comes to bottles, the local store will either sell one to you or rent/lease it. For MIG, I purchased a bottle of 75-25. At the time I had plans of building a shorter welding cart. However soon afterwards I decided to build something with a larger tool box at its core, and so this bottle was then smaller than what the cart-I-ended-up-with would hold. I've been tolerating it, though I would like a larger bottle of 75-25.

Well the fella at the store told me that anything larger than the one I have (which doesn't quite come as high as my waist) must be either rented or leased. That is, you cannot buy bottles any larger than that. I found that surprising and in contradiction to what I was originally told way back when.

So I am just curious: does anyone know why the larger bottles are not available for purchase? Is this the case with most all welding supply stores or just this one? What is available in your area? What do you use?

Thanks!

av8or1 wrote: So I am just curious: does anyone know why the larger bottles are not available for purchase? Is this the case with most all welding supply stores or just this one? What is available in your area? What do you use?
Thanks!
I rent the largest bottle ("T" size 300cf) of argon for $8.50 per month, haven't asked about buying but I do see them on CL, of course getting it filled would be the next question, I'll try and remember to call my LWS and ask
Richard
Website
cj737

The large bottles can’t be refilled by your LWS unless they are stamped as their property. That all has to do with DOT regulations. You can buy those, but you’d best consider long term where you will get them refilled.

I have 4 customer owned large bottles but fortunately, they are from the same company where I still get them swapped, so I only pay for gas (which usually means also having an account there).
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

Interesting.
I can buy up to a 300 cu ft tank here. When I go to get a fill, they just exchange it so I never worry about getting it re-certified.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

I would definitely keep the policy of whomever has the cheapest gas where you're located at when deciding to buy or rent, If one place will sell a T cylinder but exchanges are 150 while another won't exchange an owned bottle over 125cf but it would be $50 to swap a rental out, you need to take that into consideration, sometimes a large cylinder while much more economical gas wise might simply be out of the budget to outright buy in the first place.
cj737

DavidR8 wrote:Interesting.
I can buy up to a 300 cu ft tank here. When I go to get a fill, they just exchange it so I never worry about getting it re-certified.
That is true because the bottles swapped have their stamp on them. They are responsible for the DOT certs, not you.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

cj737 wrote:Forgive me, it appeared that at a few times the tungsten was off angle. Maybe it was a lack of depth perception of the camera.
When I’m stuck with only a flap disc on a 4-1/2 I grind perpendicular to the tungsten at about 90 deg. As bad as you can be. Even then I don’t notice arc wander unless I’m under 25 amps or so.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

cj737 wrote: That is true because the bottles swapped have their stamp on them. They are responsible for the DOT certs, not you.
That makes sense to me.
These are my two bottles, black is C25, grey is oxy.
The grey one is what I was given by Barry Hamel when I took in the empty oxy that I bought from a local welder I know. I don’t know if that one originally came from Barry Hamel.
This one is C25 from a different supplier.
The label also has the store name.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
av8or1

Interesting. So it's a regulation thing then. Nice. Oh well, I'll have to give it some thought. This particular welding supply store has a form that you fill out, then they appear to run a credit check prior to establishing your account. Yeah. I'm not a fan of that if to speak openly. My score is 800+ as of my latest house re-fi in August and I work hard to keep that score...inquiries can lower your score (depending, granted), generally speaking. And of course they remain on your report for 2 years. Not certain that I want an inquiry from a welding supply store on my stuff for 2 years. If I decide it isn't worth it, then I'll just have to make-do with the smaller bottles that I can purchase outright. Life could be worse, I tell myself. :lol:

As for their rental, that is $7/month. Their lease however is $55/annum, so if you know that you're a-gonna retain the bottle for more than a year, you are behooved to opt for a lease. Granted, it's only $40 or so bucks, but hey that's a dinner (cheap-ish). This of course doesn't include the cost of a refill, which is the drop-off-pick-up-a-new-to-you-one affair. I was short on time and it slipped my mind to inquire as to that cost.

So I dunno. 'Got some thinkin' to do...