What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
av8or1

As mentioned, I took a break from the plasma table build today to test the 225X. I did so only because there was an ordering of tasks that needed to be arranged around our family dinner. I needed hardware from the local box store but couldn't make the trip until after the dinner thing (which we almost-never miss) and so I had a brief time window in which I could conduct the operation. Not much of a window, and I would be pressed for time, but otherwise I wouldn't have allowed myself to do this today in light of remaining focused on the plasma thing, so...it just happened to work out. I digress.

First was the unboxing. Like everything I see associated with PrimeWeld they took care to package the contents of the 225X box quite well:
unboxing 1.jpg
unboxing 1.jpg (217.53 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
Which included several small packets of rodent deterrent inside the box plastic cover and within the box itself:
unboxing 2.jpg
unboxing 2.jpg (46.35 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
The same held true for the CUT60, BTW. All of which was a welcome sight with me. Thumbs up PrimeWeld, good call!
av8or1

In the case of this 225X box, there were even protective corner pieces at the top of the box! They were plastic while the bottoms were metal, but even so that was impressive to see:
unboxing 3.jpg
unboxing 3.jpg (66.2 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
And customarily the prongs of the electrical plug were protected as well:
unboxing 4.jpg
unboxing 4.jpg (51.34 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Which gives me warm fuzzies, I must admit. And yes, I do replace those plastic covers after using the machine. :D
av8or1

I noticed that the supply power wire gauge of the 225X is smaller than that of my 275p:
unboxing 5.jpg
unboxing 5.jpg (39.33 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
But that wasn't surprising really. Like with the CUT60, the component boxes were labelled:
unboxing 6.jpg
unboxing 6.jpg (37.85 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
And that too yields a +1 in my book. FWIW...
av8or1

Box 1 had the majority of the goodies:
unboxing 7.jpg
unboxing 7.jpg (44.86 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
Which were a foot pedal (the upgraded version), an air hose (for the argon), the cheap-o welding face shield, the SMAW electrode holder (aka "stinger"), the ground clamp and a flow meter (appears to be of good quality). Thus:
unboxing 8.jpg
unboxing 8.jpg (47.04 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Looks nice. I doubt I will get one. I have zero floor space in my garage, lol.
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

@oscar what with all that scrap steel you’ve been buying ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
av8or1

Box 2 had the upgraded CK Worldwide #17 (air cooled) flex head torch, a few starter consumables and the 110V adapter cord and plug, thus:
unboxing 9.jpg
unboxing 9.jpg (46.3 KiB) Viewed 2791 times
This was a great decision on PrimeWeld's part. If the research is done, then even a newbie TIG guy like me knows that CK Worldwide produces some of the best TIG torches out there and the flex head is a desirable option. So I must give credit where it is due and that is to PrimeWeld for including that torch in their TIG offering.

So that was to-the good. Now contrast that CK torch with this:
unboxing 10.jpg
unboxing 10.jpg (214.57 KiB) Viewed 2791 times
And it was a noticeable step down. This was one of the aspects of this package that I didn't care for, as I alluded to in a post from earlier today. That said, it's difficult to critique PrimeWeld too much for this. I mean, the SMAW capability on a box like this is in a kind-of this-isn't-what-I-was-made-to-do role. So it's little wonder that a lower-rung electrode holder would come in the package. I understood that and don't hold it against them. I mean one can always upgrade their stinger if they so choose.
av8or1

And if one was to upgrade their electrode holder, this is the one that I would recommend:
Recommended electrode holder.jpg
Recommended electrode holder.jpg (215.53 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
It's withstood the abuse I've put it through and that's saying something. It's rated for way-more amps than I will ever use and I like that too. This particular one shown in the picture is the one that I have already purchased and have on-hand when my current one finally gives up the ghost. I liked it that much; I pre-purchased the next one. And I think that this was my third different stinger IIRC. Not a huge data pool, I'll give you that. However the reviews combined with the specifications for this electrode holder and the fact that I've ran so many beads with it ... yeah it has my recommendation. For whatever that's worth given that I am not a professional welder. :D
av8or1

Having nowhere else to put the 225X, I slid the green box over and put it on the MIG welding cart:
SMAW test 1.jpg
SMAW test 1.jpg (192.75 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Next the very first thing I wanted to test was the functionality of the buttons and dials. They all seemed to work, but clearly I didn't not have time to verify that. I did notice that when in SMAW mode, my box maxed out at 185A instead of 180A, thus:
SMAW test 2.jpg
SMAW test 2.jpg (65.54 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
So that was kinda interesting. :D
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

av8or1 wrote:The max output amperage in SMAW mode on 110V is reportedly 120A. If that's the case, how would you run a 7018 rod?
You'd could run a 3/32" 7018 at about 90-95 amps, that *MIGHT* work on a 30 amp 120v, but I honestly don't even have that in my house, all of my 120v circuits are 20 or 15 amps AFAIK. Better would be to run 6011, could knock it down to about 80 amps with a 3/32", that would probably run ok on 20 amps.

Honestly I don't plan to run too much stick on mine, will probably use my green weenie for that, it's quite a bit smaller and has a strap to carry it on your shoulder. Also has an Arc Force knob, so has some adjustment on the stick arc. I haven't used the green weenie in quite a while, since getting the Primeweld actually, so maybe I'll try to run some rod on it tomorrow and possibly see if it will even burn 6010.

For the Primeweld I will most likely only use it on 240v. To date I have not run either of my welders on 120v.
av8or1 wrote:Then the recommended breaker is 50A on 220V when none of the max input current values for 220V are higher than 40A.
As I have said, I run mine on a 30 amp 240v circuit, haven't popped the breaker yet. Can run 1/8" 7018, 6011 and 6010. I have some 7014 and I think some 7024, but have only run those on the green weenie.

I will use the Primeweld mostly for tig.
av8or1 wrote:And if one was to upgrade their electrode holder, this is the one that I would recommend:
That looks similar to the Lenco I use on mine, but I use a 300 amp as it's a bit smaller than a 500 amp.

I also use a Martin-Wells stubby, I like it also, but the Lenco is easier to snap loose of a stuck electrode.

I think I posted pics of my 2 replacement stingers.
av8or1 wrote:So that was to-the good. Now contrast that CK torch with this:
However to be fair I compare them to the ground and stinger included on the green weenies. They are actually substantially better. The stinger supplied on the green weenies is wonky and the jaws twist easily and the ground clamp is not as good either. Jaws quite a bit tighter on the Primeweld stinger, and jaws don't twist. I don't use either of them, I made my own ground clamp and use a Lincoln, it's stamped steel but larger with copper rungs in the jaws.

My one comment on the knobs, the amperage knob is very sensitive. That is true on my green weenie as well.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
av8or1

For the SMAW test, I decided to run 1 rod of 6010 and 1 rod of the 7018:
SMAW test 3.jpg
SMAW test 3.jpg (73.98 KiB) Viewed 2787 times
However I would do so on the 225X and then conduct the same test on the 275p, despite knowing how it runs those rods. Still, the idea of a side-by-side comparison intrigued me, so I decided to run with it. The test pieces were two leftover pieces of cold rolled steel, 1/4" thick, from the gantry-on-wheels project:
SMAW test 4.jpg
SMAW test 4.jpg (64.97 KiB) Viewed 2787 times
av8or1

Material thickness:
SMAW test 5.jpg
SMAW test 5.jpg (58.31 KiB) Viewed 2785 times
And I ground the welding surface on these test pieces down to bright, shiny metal. I would also attach the ground clamp directly to the workpiece since the plasma table is in rather heavily-applied rusty metal primer:
SMAW test 6.jpg
SMAW test 6.jpg (211.68 KiB) Viewed 2785 times
av8or1

To avoid confusion, I labelled them accordingly:
SMAW test 7.jpg
SMAW test 7.jpg (43.66 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
SMAW test 8.jpg
SMAW test 8.jpg (33.76 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
av8or1

Although all boxes will run a bit differently, I decided to set each to 95A for the 6010 passes:
SMAW test 9.jpg
SMAW test 9.jpg (65.17 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
And 130A for the 7018 ones:
SMAW test 10.jpg
SMAW test 10.jpg (63.94 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
av8or1

And on the green box:
SMAW test 11.jpg
SMAW test 11.jpg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 2782 times
Sure as hell felt weird to not need to bother with selecting the SMAW mode that you want to be in, either E6010 or otherwise:
SMAW test 12.jpg
SMAW test 12.jpg (42.26 KiB) Viewed 2782 times
However that is clearly a law of primacy issue, since I began with the green box WRT combination welders.
TraditionalToolworks

av8or1 wrote:Sure as hell felt weird to not need to bother with selecting the SMAW mode that you want to be in, either E6010 or otherwise
Given that I would expect it to run 6010 better on the green weenie. It is spec'd to run it. :)

You have hot start stick, % hot start and arc force on it with a cellulose mode. 8-)

Let's see the results! :D
Last edited by TraditionalToolworks on Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
av8or1

As mentioned earlier today I couldn't run a straight bead this afternoon. Too much backlight, haven't modified my helmet yet to block that out and I was pressed for time at this point. However those are just excuses. I remember seeing the hole in the plate in the second picture and saying to myself "Whoa! Where did that come from?! Oh well, just go around it..." :D :D :D

Anyway, the results. The 225X can run a 6010 bead without issue. The "happy noise" I was getting from it was well within the ballpark of what I am accustomed to; I chalked up the difference to the electrode holder. I mean that *does* make a difference, however slight if you want to argue that. After running both beads, this was the result for the 225X:
SMAW test 13.jpg
SMAW test 13.jpg (41.57 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
And for the 275p:
SMAW test 14.jpg
SMAW test 14.jpg (48.37 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
TraditionalToolworks

av8or1 wrote:Anyway, the results. The 225X can run a 6010 bead without issue. The "happy noise" I was getting from it was well within the ballpark of what I am accustomed to;
Gotta love that 7018, slag is already lifting off! 8-)
av8or1 wrote: I chalked up the difference to the electrode holder. I mean that *does* make a difference, however slight if you want to argue that.
Wouldn't be too hard to unplug the ground and stinger and put them into the Primeweld. ;)

Would like to see the welds cleaned up with a wire wheel. :)

First look I'd say the Primeweld 6010 might be a better bead. All relative however, you really need to run a few on each welder.
Last edited by TraditionalToolworks on Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
av8or1

Then after some cleanup:
SMAW test 15.jpg
SMAW test 15.jpg (202.84 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
And:
SMAW test 16.jpg
SMAW test 16.jpg (213.49 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
TraditionalToolworks

Not too bad for an $800 box that is not even purported to run 6010 or 7018. ;)

Thanks for posting.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
av8or1

And finally a side-by-side comparison:
SMAW test 17.jpg
SMAW test 17.jpg (55.35 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
I ran all 4 rods down to approximately the same length during these tests, so that element was congruent with the notion of a like-for-like test:
SMAW test 18.jpg
SMAW test 18.jpg (223.71 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
In the end I would choose the 275p over the 225X to do any SMAW stuff. It has other features such as hot start and arc force that assist you in making cleaner, better welds. That said, I do like the idea of the absence of a need to fiddle with those settings, and the 225X gives you that. The electrode holder that comes with the package can always be upgraded (and I would recommend doing that) and so in the final analysis I would have to give the PrimeWeld 225X a thums up WRT its abillity to lay down SMAW beads.
Last edited by av8or1 on Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
av8or1

TraditionalToolworks wrote:I will use the Primeweld mostly for tig.
As will I. Good call.
TraditionalToolworks wrote:However to be fair I compare them to the ground and stinger included on the green weenies. They are actually substantially better. The stinger supplied on the green weenies is wonky and the jaws twist easily and the ground clamp is not as good either. Jaws quite a bit tighter on the Primeweld stinger, and jaws don't twist. I don't use either of them, I made my own ground clamp and use a Lincoln, it's stamped steel but larger with copper rungs in the jaws.
To speak openly I don't even remember the stinger that came with my 275p. I've ran just too-many beads with it since then. I think I am still using the original ground clamp that was supplied with it, which looks identical to the one that comes with the 225X. Copper jaws and copper wire mesh between those jaws.
TraditionalToolworks wrote:My one comment on the knobs, the amperage knob is very sensitive. That is true on my green weenie as well.
Ah yes, thank you for reminding me. I did notice that. I recall attempting to set both 95 and 130 amps on the 225X. It was difficult to do. It would finally get to 95 then flicker back to 94, then to 95, back to 94, etc. So I had to fiddle with it a bunch to get it to remain on 95. Same went with 130. I don't have this issue on the 275p. So I agree, this could be better. Then again, it's an $800 box, so it's hard to complain really. So I won't. :D
Last edited by av8or1 on Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
TraditionalToolworks

av8or1 wrote:To speak openly I don't even remember the stinger that came with my 275p. I've ran just too-many beads with it since then. I think I am still using the original ground clamp that was supplied with it, which looks identical to the one that comes with the 225X. Copper jaws and copper wire mesh between those jaws.
See this post:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14803&start=75#wrap
av8or1 wrote:Then again, it's an $800 box, so it's hard to complain really. So I won't. :D
Quite an amazing TIG machine and the stick is a huge surprise for me. Not only do you get the CK Worldwide 17 Flex torch, you get a 3 year warranty with shipping provided both ways, good people to deal with, it's just a great package for entry level welders, as I pretty much am. :o
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
av8or1

TraditionalToolworks wrote:Quite an amazing TIG machine and the stick is a huge surprise for me. Not only do you get the CK Worldwide 17 Flex torch, you get a 3 year warranty with shipping provided both ways, good people to deal with, it's just a great package for entry level welders, as I pretty much am. :o
I concur. And enthusiastically so. Provided that PrimeWeld lives up to the reputation that they have established for customer service and warranty repairs, this is a hell of a box to beat. I am glad that I came upon it and found reviews such as yours, Justin's and Aaron's. Since those two recommend it as an acceptable TIG box, the price is much more affordable for the home hobbyist such as myself, well it was an obvious choice. I have to commend Mike (the PrimeWeld guy) for recognizing the issue that many of us have experienced with other boxes (poor customer service/warranty) and then positioning himself to fill that void. That was an excellent business decision and much-needed for folk like us, who either don't want or can't afford the higher end boxes. Although I could have gone that route, I am glad that there was another option.

I digress. Thus far anyway, two huge thumbs up for both the CUT60 and 225X.
TraditionalToolworks

Here's another thing about the Primeweld, this is very annoying, but it shows the inside of the welder. The guy doesn't know what he's doing in regard to electricity and seems to be an accident waiting for a time to happen.

This is one of the most annoying videos and it's got the CNC running in the background, but it shows some of the niceties in the Primeweld with shrink wrap on the ends, very similar to how the stringer was in the pictures I posted.

Note how everything is wire tied cleanly and just done pretty nice for such an inexpensive machine.

Collector of old Iron!

Alan