What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I use a shallow grind like he pictures any time I need to do fine narrow welds on light gauge material. Everyone is entitled to there opinions, but don’t be an ass hat.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Poland308 wrote:I use a shallow grind like he pictures any time I need to do fine narrow welds on light gauge material. Everyone is entitled to there opinions, but don’t be an ass hat.
So, you know what he was using those for?

You think those are useful then?

I'm not being an @$$ hat, but please don't be an Iowa SOW.

To me it looks like bling. I wonder if those could be counterfeit tungstens??? :lol:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Poland308

I do think it’s a useful grind. When you grind to a sharp tapered point it causes the arc to be more diffused and less focused. This helps when welding thin metal. Being less focused means shallower penetration. It also makes a noticeable difference on getting your edges to wet in. (Most notable in my experience on SS). I used a grind like this just today while welding some steel parts to a SS burner head (309) on a 70 hp boiler. We rebuild the burner but had to custom make some of the parts because the manufacturer isn’t in business anymore. The burner metal was 14 gauge but the gas pipe was 3inch sch 40.

Josh
Poland308

DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks

Josh,

Understood, but I don't think the majority of people are welding thin metal too often, I would classify it as the minority of the time.

I think we need to keep the question in context, not twist it out of proportion or second guess what metal is being used. I'd like to see what Oscar is welding with that tungsten, no harm in me wanting to see.

Jerry was asking a general question about sharpening tungsten. From what Jerry has posted he's not using thin metal.

I saw it as nothing more than posting bling, although Jerry took the bait with the bling as he either ordered or bought the HF grinder. :D
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Poland308

It doesn’t have to be on thin metal. I used a grind like that on my UA67 pipe test that’s 2in xx heavy wall, for unlimited thickness. Doesn’t mater metal or thickness.

Josh
TraditionalToolworks

Poland308 wrote:It doesn’t have to be on thin metal. I used a grind like that on my UA67 pipe test that’s 2in xx heavy wall, for unlimited thickness. Doesn’t mater metal or thickness.
Well, if that type of grind works for people, they should definitely use it. I've never had a reason to use a tungsten sharpened like that, so maybe it would be better to say I've never had a use for it and I find the thin point gets destroyed easily in my experience. Again, my experience is limited, I am not welding any UA67 pipe with 2" walls, I do more with .063", .093" and .125" wall tube and plate from 1/16" - 1/2" thick.

BTW, in your previous post you stated you were welding 14 gauge with this, now you're welding 2" thick UA67 pipe, so is it safe to say that you are using these shallow grinds on most all of your work? Or are you just dancing around my posts to try and make me look bad? (my guess, and what I referred to being an Iowa SOW. ;) )
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

I'll be at the concession getting some popcorn...
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks

DavidR8 wrote:I'll be at the concession getting some popcorn...
Can you pick up an extra bag for me David? :D
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Poland308

The only time I don’t use that grind is on aluminum but sometimes even then, or when I don’t have access to a good grinder ( then you just kinda get whatever you can on a 4-1/2 flap disk.

Josh
Poland308

I can’t dance. I just dislike your constant skepticism and seaming distain for advice from others on maters you have limited experience with.

Josh
TraditionalToolworks

Poland308 wrote:I can’t dance. I just dislike your constant skepticism and seaming distain for advice from others on maters you have limited experience with.
I've noticed it, but trying to be nice to you. :D

Sometimes it might be better to STFU and let me show people how stupid I am. I'm not intimidated.

I have to agree, you certainly weren't dancing very well... :lol:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Poland308

OK.

Josh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

This obsession with needle point tapers and specialty grinds on grinds is mostly a lot of horse hockey. I’ve seen hundreds of people weld razor blades with 1/8 tungsten and a typical 30* taper and not have so much as a burp.

I’d venture to say the average meat lover on this forum could not TIG weld the difference unless all they did was very high tolerance code work. FFS, that KaneKid Dude only swaps tungsten diameters to weld those 0.006 wall tubes, and that I can understand because he’s welding in single digit amps.

The rest of it? Malarkey. Looks cool, feel special, complete nonsense. Learn to weld FFS.
TraditionalToolworks

cj737 wrote:The rest of it? Malarkey. Looks cool, feel special, complete nonsense. Learn to weld FFS.
Of course it's mostly nonsense, just like Josh's response.

Not long ago Josh said he uses a TechSouth at home to sharpen his tube of tungstens before he heads to work. At least that's how I remember his comment, I could be wrong. I'd love to see his tube of tungstens when he heads to work, cause I don't believe he's got them ground with that shallow of an angle. In fact, I think he's only creating this entire BS to counter me because I rub him the wrong way. That's fine, I get my personality bothers him, but I'm still calling his bluff.

So post up your tungstens Josh! Let's see those shallow grinds! Hurry, run out and regrind them so you can show your shallow points! :lol:

Look, I'm certainly not the welder that Josh is, that much I will admit. I'm here to learn, and even so I will never be as good of a welder as someone like Josh that does it every day.

But my nose is pretty good and I smell BS, so I'm calling him on it, just like I did Oscar. I'd love to see the projects Oscar's worked on with those shallow tungstens also. :D
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

[quote="TraditionalToolworks"
Of course it's mostly nonsense, just like Josh's response.

But my nose is pretty good and I smell BS, so I'm calling him on it, just like I did Oscar. I'd love to see the projects Oscar's worked on with those shallow tungstens also. :D[/quote]

Yadda, yadda, yadda, just read more, write less ! :x

I really wish the forum had a blocking option .................

Sometimes it's getting like a f*****g kindergarten. :roll:
Last edited by kiwi2wheels on Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robtg
    Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:54 pm

People come here to learn but they are the ones doing all the talking. Just an observation.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I dont get the argument here...Oscars grind is not un usual, different grinds for different applications and different preferences. If all you care about is getting max life out of a tungsten so you can weld all day without sharpening, use a blunt 5/32 tungsten! If you want crisp, precise arc starts then use a sharp, smaller tungsten. You want something in between, try it! 90% of us on here are hobbyists, so try different grinds from extremely blunt to extremely sharp and see what the difference is. Then you'll see why some people prefer the grinds that they do. I'm also pretty sure most people on here, me included, will sink that tip into a weld puddle and have to resharpen anyways long before the arc actually erodes away that tip.

Who cares what he's doing with them. Besides, it's Oscar, trying out wierd stuff is literally what he does best :D

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
TraditionalToolworks

JayWal wrote:I dont get the argument here...Oscars grind is not un usual, different grinds for different applications and different preferences.
I completely agree Jay, I was originally asking why Oscar shows those when he more often than not shows a much blunter tip with very little stickout when he recommends how people should be tig welding.

So why the discrepancy? That was my question.
JayWal wrote:If you want crisp, precise arc starts then use a sharp, smaller tungsten.
Again, agreed, but we shouldn't say that a grind like that works for all work. Josh came in taking exception, said he uses it for thin metal, then changed to using it for 2" thick pipe. Why does his comment change like the wind?
robtg wrote:People come here to learn but they are the ones doing all the talking. Just an observation.
You have sure helped a lot of people on this forum. :roll:

Some just come to suck out of it what they can. :lol:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

I find myself spending less and less time on this forum because of the petty squabbles and passive aggressive comments. And I find it interesting that usually without exception, there is one particular person involved every single time.
DavidR8

Spartan wrote:I find myself spending less and less time on this forum because of the petty squabbles and passive aggressive comments. And I find it interesting that usually without exception, there is one particular person involved every single time.
Yup...couldn't have said it better.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
Poland308

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
Sometimes it might be better to STFU and let me show people how stupid I am. I'm not intimidated.

Josh
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Yup
av8or1

Wow. In other news, the small bench grinder that I ordered from HF is not only absent, but it hasn't even shipped yet. I called today to inquire further. Apparently they're behind due to the fires in CA, but the rep assured me that it will ship out "...in another day or two." By contrast, the tungstens and 3" grinder wheel that I ordered through Amazon arrived two days later, on schedule.

So. The point being that I stated that I would report back with the news on how well this ~$60 setup would work. And I will do that, but just not yet. Gotta wait on the grinder to show up from HF. Heck, I'm tempted to call the local store to see if they have it in stock and if so, just go get it there. :D