What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
av8or1

So here is the recommended system ready to go to work:
pancakes 3.jpg
pancakes 3.jpg (236.83 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
Hmmmmm...still don't know how much I like this. It did function, yes, but I had a concern that without a check valve in there, in the scenario where one compressor is running but the other is not, pressurized air from the running compressor would make its way to the regulated outlet of the non-running one. "Don't worry about that" was the response. Yah-but... I did notice this scenario occurring and jotted over to take a look at the gauge on the non-running compressor.
Sure enough, it was at 120 psi, when I had it set at 100 psi. Since these units are rated to 150 psi I wasn't too concerned about what I saw, but I still didn't like it. I dunno. Anyone have any feedback regarding this configuration?

Seems to me that a better arrangement would be to have a separate storage tank, ergo a tank-and-only-a-tank, that each of these pancake feeds individually, then you take your output from that tank. But what do I know...

Anyway that's that. It did work, but I don't know how well really.

Now for the plasma cutting. I might have mentioned this (don't recall now) but I purchased some consumables from George. I specifically wanted a drag shield and a thinner orifice for the cutting of the moon roof (separate thread). The kit that you can order has different sized tips, ranging from 40A to 60A. It comes with the drag shield, cup and a few electrodes:
drag shield 1.jpg
drag shield 1.jpg (62.15 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
av8or1

Despite the fact that I would be cutting only 1/8" diamond plate, I elected to go with a 60A tip:
drag shield 2.jpg
drag shield 2.jpg (41.82 KiB) Viewed 2321 times
Assembly is super simple; just drop the tip into the cup:
drag shield 3.jpg
drag shield 3.jpg (40.05 KiB) Viewed 2321 times
av8or1

This particular kit comes with the drag shield already attached to the cup:
drag shield 4.jpg
drag shield 4.jpg (50.53 KiB) Viewed 2320 times
You then thread the cup back onto the torch and you're in business:
drag shield 5.jpg
drag shield 5.jpg (43.37 KiB) Viewed 2320 times
av8or1

The depth of the rack is the 33" that I planned on:
diamond plate 1.jpg
diamond plate 1.jpg (46.73 KiB) Viewed 2318 times
I tested the torch in its new configuration and noticed that the reduction in distance from the fence between a drag shield and the standoff isn't as large as I thought it would be. Given that when installing plate on top of a structure like this, I prefer to have the plate just a tad smaller than its support, I decided to just rest the fence (which would be my 4' level) right on the 33" line:
diamond plate 2.jpg
diamond plate 2.jpg (40 KiB) Viewed 2318 times
And that way I'd have the slightly smaller plate size to work with. I go about things in this manner simply because I prefer to weld the plate to the support structure on top of that structure rather than on the side of it.
av8or1

I pulled the 4' x 8' sheet of plate out from the flatbed and went to work:
diamond plate 3.jpg
diamond plate 3.jpg (61.25 KiB) Viewed 2317 times
The first cut came out ok, but I could use some practice:
diamond plate 4.jpg
diamond plate 4.jpg (62.97 KiB) Viewed 2317 times
av8or1

The second cut came out much better:
diamond plate 5.jpg
diamond plate 5.jpg (67.57 KiB) Viewed 2316 times
I noticed that the drag shield had picked up some slag during the first cut. Removing that undoubtedly had an effect on the second one. In the end the plate would only need those two cuts, as the lengths were enough to provide complete coverage of the storage rack. Just for a test fit, I put all of them into position:
diamond plate 9.jpg
diamond plate 9.jpg (226.31 KiB) Viewed 2316 times
And there was a small overhang on the ends, which I was expecting. So I will need to take the plasma to one of those in order to trim to the fitment that I would prefer (slightly inboard on all sides). No big deal.
av8or1

The wife-eee had an online class tonight, so I had watch-the-lil'-un duty. He saw that I had stacked the plate on the top of the rack:
diamond plate 8.jpg
diamond plate 8.jpg (62.47 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
And insisted that he give it a weight test:
diamond plate 10.jpg
diamond plate 10.jpg (211.49 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
:lol:

I insisted that he NOT even attempt to stand up while up there, since the asphalt is slightly uneven. Fortunately he complied with that demand without decrying it, which was a welcome change. :D
av8or1

All to the good. However since he was conducting his test, I decided to forego the additional cut of the plate for now, as well as the grinding of the edges that were cut (they weren't bad enough to warrant concern of the lil' un cutting himself, else I would not have allowed him up there BTW). Instead I pressed ahead with the cutting/trimming of the caster plates:
casters 11.jpg
casters 11.jpg (66.95 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
CJ, despite these casters not having an interference issue with the bolts as I originally installed them, I tried your suggestion anyway. I decided to go with it for one reason: in that orientation the lock washers that I have on the bottom can dig into the plate rather that barely-dig-into the casters. The result yields bolt heights that are slightly uneven, and thus you couldn't rest the rack's feet onto these cleanly; however that's not a concern for me. The all-thread will bear the weight anyway, so even if the feet rest on < 4 bolts in the full-up position, it's a (quite) minor issue, not really worth much consideration. Anyway thanks again for that.

So I cut through the caster plate without issue:
casters 12.jpg
casters 12.jpg (48.16 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
However I still need practice at this plasma business. I angled the torch slightly in order to compensate for the distance that it is removed from the fence, which in this context was the sides of the caster (top) plates. That made the cut slightly thicker than the 3/16" plate. I went a little too fast on one side and needed to re-cut it. I still wasn't sure that the supply air configuration I had was doing much too, so I need to get that on good footing ASAP.
av8or1

There was some slag on the plate when I had finished:
casters 14.jpg
casters 14.jpg (67.58 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
And the excess looked worse for the wear:
casters 13.jpg
casters 13.jpg (62.76 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
av8or1

The slag cleaned off easily:
casters 15.jpg
casters 15.jpg (70.33 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Only 5 more to assemble and cut:
casters 16.jpg
casters 16.jpg (66.13 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Fellas, it was at this point that I remembered why I usually just weld caster wheels to whatever I build rather than sweat the installation of hardware. Actually this was the third time I had that thought, but I digress. :D
av8or1

However I would make it only as far as to assemble them:
casters 17.jpg
casters 17.jpg (59.58 KiB) Viewed 2334 times
Darkness would be settling in soon and I needed to tend to dad stuff. So I had the lil' un assist in the packing-up of the cart and the closing of the workshop. And that's where things would end for us tonight. All-n-all a good outing.

Thank you for reading.
av8or1

Had all of these plans to get some real work done tonight after work. Then the calls started coming in ... ones that I needed to take. Oh well. In the end I managed to get the new "portable air station" configured and cut two more of the caster plates down to size. I didn't take any pictures of the latter 'cause I've already shown that and it was dark by then. Still have three more of those to go.

However I did snap a few pictures of the new "portable air station", so I'll include those...

First was the new tank that arrived in but one day, which was crazy good:
portable air 1.jpg
portable air 1.jpg (69.8 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
It is a 10 gallon, 175 max psi (155 "working" psi) tank with 5 outlets (one regulated) and 1 1/4" inlet:
portable air 2.jpg
portable air 2.jpg (201.09 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
av8or1

As I mentioned yesterday I wasn't a huge fan of the t-fitting configuration. So I checked online last night and found that I could get this the next day. 'Decided to take a punt on it then and there. Anyway, when it arrived, it did not have the 4 unregulated female quick connect couplers installed. That made things easier, for I had made up my mind that I would commandeer one of those 4 "outlets" to become the second "inlet". And so I installed 3 of the 4 (supplied) quick connects then fashioned my own new inlet with a full port ball valve:
portable air 3.jpg
portable air 3.jpg (47.96 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
The top inlet is 1/4" in its entirety. However the "outlet" ports are all 3/8". So I installed an elbow (90 degrees), a male-to-male adapter and a full port ball valve from the tank port outward, all of which were 3/8". Then came a reducer to 1/4" and then the 1/4" male quick connect coupler:
portable air 4.jpg
portable air 4.jpg (63.26 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
av8or1

Then removed the t-fitting from the short hoses:
portable air 5.jpg
portable air 5.jpg (205.28 KiB) Viewed 2304 times
And connected everything together:
portable air 6.jpg
portable air 6.jpg (217.61 KiB) Viewed 2304 times
It seemed to work much better, I had plenty of air and I prefer this arrangement over the one I had yesterday. The only downside occurred when I took a look at it and thought to myself "...need to build a cart for this." And then realized that I had created yet ANOTHER project! As though I don't have enough already. :D

Hopefully I can make good progress tomorrow. TBD.
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

av8or1 wrote:Then removed the t-fitting from the short hoses:
portable air 5.jpg
And connected everything together:
portable air 6.jpg
It seemed to work much better, I had plenty of air and I prefer this arrangement over the one I had yesterday. The only downside occurred when I took a look at it and thought to myself "...need to build a cart for this." And then realized that I had created yet ANOTHER project! As though I don't have enough already. :D

Hopefully I can make good progress tomorrow. TBD.
The more projects we complete, the more projects seem to crop up.
It’s some kind of weird law. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

It's like a hydra .... OR a honey-do list.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Can I throw a few questions and ideas at you-

I read that your shop is not plumbed for working “out front” I think. In lieu of buying and handling multiple small compressors, why not plumb you’re shop? Add numerous drops in different areas or connect some short hoses. Then you don’t need to drag machines around and string electrical outlets.

A very common trick is to plumb 2 or more 60/80 tanks together, then plumb off that. The extra tank provides reserve air and the compressor only refills. If the compressor is not suitable to keep up with the demand, the extra standing air is often sufficient to buffer the rebuild/draw time.

To be honest, your posts are very detailed, but I struggle to track top-to-bottom so if I’ve misunderstood, pardon me.

Uh, by the way, that’s an awfully handsome champ plopped atop your bench. I’m sure you’re right proud of that “project” :)
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

cj737 wrote:Can I throw a few questions and ideas at you-

I read that your shop is not plumbed for working “out front” I think. In lieu of buying and handling multiple small compressors, why not plumb you’re shop? Add numerous drops in different areas or connect some short hoses. Then you don’t need to drag machines around and string electrical outlets.

A very common trick is to plumb 2 or more 60/80 tanks together, then plumb off that. The extra tank provides reserve air and the compressor only refills. If the compressor is not suitable to keep up with the demand, the extra standing air is often sufficient to buffer the rebuild/draw time.

To be honest, your posts are very detailed, but I struggle to track top-to-bottom so if I’ve misunderstood, pardon me.

Uh, by the way, that’s an awfully handsome champ plopped atop your bench. I’m sure you’re right proud of that “project” :)
Pretty much what I’ve done. Mounted an 80 gallon tank in the joists in the ceiling, piped down to my 30 gallon compressor with a 20 ft stick of 1in black pipe with a few tees across the ceiling. Works great, probably almost 3x the run time on my plasma or sand blaster before the pressure drop makes me wait.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
cj737

Poland308 wrote: Pretty much what I’ve done. Mounted an 80 gallon tank in the joists in the ceiling, piped down to my 30 gallon compressor with a 20 ft stick of 1in black pipe with a few tees across the ceiling. Works great, probably almost 3x the run time on my plasma or sand blaster before the pressure drop makes me wait.
I cheeped out and bought the aluminum core, plastic-coated tubing rated for 175psi, looped the shop, added 6 drops in convenient areas. I then installed 15' hoses at each of those. I just plug my air tool in where I need it. But I also have a 50' hose on a spool near the front that allows me to work in the driveway/slag area outside as needed.

I even ran an underground circuit to a standpipe with a disconnect and 6-50 plug receptacle so if I need, I can weld outside conveniently. Roll out, plug in, get it done. Unplug, roll in, no mess- no fuss.

Setups like these in my opinion are what makes projects of any type very easy and efficient,.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

cj,,,is that the stuff you get from northern tool? I've been thinkin about that. Is it ezee enough to install for an old fella?
cj737

BillE.Dee wrote:cj,,,is that the stuff you get from northern tool? I've been thinkin about that. Is it ezee enough to install for an old fella?
Probably the same stuff. I’m an old guy and I installed it. So my bet is you can too-
av8or1

cj737 wrote:Can I throw a few questions and ideas at you-

Sure CJ, always open to feedback.

Regarding the pancakes, most definitely, I realized both beforehand and afterwards that this is hardly worth the time and effort I've spent on it, at least from a create-the-best-air-source perspective. And I haven't even addressed the electrical aspect of this hodge-podge setup that I created yesterday. To speak openly, I hadn't ever considered the idea of plumbing in another large tank to the system that is located at the rear of my workshop. However at first blush, I like that idea.

The compressor in the back is a Craftsman 80 gallon, 2 stage, 5HP, 16.3 CFM @ 100 psi variant that I purchased when Sears was still-a-thing. I chose it over an Ingersol Rand or Campbell Hausfeld or other brand variant mostly because Sears ran a special at the time. That special was that if you bought the compressor with a Sears credit card then you'd receive a reduction in the sales price of ... I dunno, whatever it was. In the end, that discounted price was either $150 or $200 lower than those others, so I opted for the Craftsman. When I took a closer look at the details, I found that the components were mostly the same, and so I felt that I could source replacements down the road if needed without issue. But there I go, off in the weeds of detail again. I digress. Back to the workshop plumbing issue that you raised...

I suppose a quick tid-bit of history is in order.

The property that we have is not our forever home. We are actively searching for a new-to-us one with more acreage and hopefully a larger workshop already in-existence on said property. It is primarily for this reason that I have deferred plumbing the workshop to-date. I just haven't wanted to spend the money, time, effort and energy to build something only to have to tear it down later, drag it to the new place and then discover that I need to re-do that work. Granted, we've been searching for the better part of 2 years now, so one could make the argument that such notion of waiting until we find the forever home is becoming futile. And I understand such argument. However to-date that hasn't been enough to motivate me to plumb the entire shop. At least not yet.

Then there are practical reasons. I mean, I have crap stored against every wall in that outbuilding, which is the reason that I am building this storage rack. So from a practical perspective it would be difficult to plumb my shop as it is; I would need to spend at least a couple of weekends creating access to the walls where the plumbing could be installed. That would mean storing stuff outside, which would mean that they could potentially be exposed to adverse weather.

Finally, the reality is that I have but one (as in really only *one*) 240V outlet that I can use to power my toys. And I had to have that installed by an electrician a few years ago. Ergo it didn't exist before then; I had it installed for the purpose of powering the compressor. That required a new panel and other electrical work. Since then I've purchased all of these fabrication toys but haven't added any new outlets. For that reason, I must choose what I power. I can run only one at a time. So if I want to run the plasma at 240V, then I can't run the compressor, etc.

And so those reasons as a collective form the basis for why I haven't done things the right way. I like the idea of a second large tank, just never thought of it given that I have an 80 gallon one already. So when the time comes I'll have to look into that idea. Thanks!

You mentioned not being able to follow my content. I am disappointed in that. I'll try to do a better job of making things clear.

Yeah the son (and wife-eee) are the best things I've ever done. By far.

Thanks again!
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

av8or1 wrote: <snip >
Then there are practical reasons. I mean, I have crap stored against every wall in that outbuilding, which is the reason that I am building this storage rack. So from a practical perspective it would be difficult to plumb my shop as it is; I would need to spend at least a couple of weekends creating access to the walls where the plumbing could be installed. That would mean storing stuff outside, which would mean that they could potentially be exposed to adverse weather.

Yeah the son (and wife-eee) are the best things I've ever done. By far.

Thanks again!
I hear you on the ‘so much stuff that I can’t get to the walls’ problem.

I rented a storage container for a month to store much of the stuff in my shop so that I could run electrical, insulation and panel the interior.
It was a lifesaver not having to trip over piles of stuff as I worked.
As it turned out, the best I could manage was to clear a 3 ft path down each wall at a time. It was a ton of work but was better than making do with one 15A outlet in the whole place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
cj737

Not a thing wrong with your posts, just my attention span ;) I skim read lots of stuff daily, so in-depth reading a forum post doesn’t happen a lot. In other words, it’s not you; it’s me.

I solved the wall “access” issue by running my plumbing along the top plate. Then dropped wherever I needed. Same for my electrical. Keeps folks from drilling holes in the dangerous/expensive stuff. Threaded black pipe could be a decent solution for you. Flexible configs, adaptable later if you choose an option.

But your reasoning is pretty sound as to why not yet. Keep up the handy-dandy, getting it done.
av8or1

DavidR8 wrote:I hear you on the ‘so much stuff that I can’t get to the walls’ problem.

I rented a storage container for a month to store much of the stuff in my shop so that I could run electrical, insulation and panel the interior.
That was a good call on your part and definitely the way I'd go if I was to plumb the shop. The hassle of said rental is yet another reason I have yet to travel down that path, if to speak openly. :D