What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Bls repair
    Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:22 pm

Had a guy call me ,told me he had a crack take an hour to weld . What do you think?
Attachments
49D86516-2737-47BF-A663-7A39FE6DB4F4.jpeg
49D86516-2737-47BF-A663-7A39FE6DB4F4.jpeg (37.39 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
85327B25-96C4-4C56-AC6D-D11F85483A13.jpeg
85327B25-96C4-4C56-AC6D-D11F85483A13.jpeg (57.66 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
av8or1

Yeah I think not.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I think he’s right; you could weld for an hour on that. Not that you’d be done, but you would have welded for an hour. I’d imagine that’s at least a 2 full day repair without any time to fabricate parts or pieces.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
even for a crude shove it back together job its probably a hour of gouging.
tweak it until it breaks
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Sounds like 99% of my customers. "Hey got a quick little job for ya!"

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

JayWal wrote:Sounds like 99% of my customers. "Hey got a quick little job for ya!"

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Tell them, "sucks you just told me that, because I charge more for quick, little jobs than larger, time-consuming jobs! So now I can't reduce the price to what it would cost for a larger, time consuming job because you already admitted it was a quick little job! " :lol:
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

$100. Per lb of filler.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Bls repair

This is a similar machine ,notice the l shaped boom. The owner tried taking out a stump by slamming into it and bent the lower part of the boom,putting the mounting ears into a bind. Rolling the bucket back eventually cracked the bucket and ripped the ear out
Attachments
BFBC02CA-562B-4EDC-B7F1-1FD96F8493A3.jpeg
BFBC02CA-562B-4EDC-B7F1-1FD96F8493A3.jpeg (31.84 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
Bls repair

The repair, prepped everything for welding .welded up cracks left ear lose . Mounted to machine to get pins to line up,rolled bucket to get ear to find happy spot then put baby tack on it to see if there was any bind. Rolled again tack didn’t break all,good.all welded up ,ear moved 1/4 ,3/8 of an inch from original position .

Sorry forgot to get finished photos

Time 5.5 hours prep. 2 hours welding
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

8-)
Bls repair wrote:The repair, prepped everything for welding .welded up cracks left ear lose . Mounted to machine to get pins to line up,rolled bucket to get ear to find happy spot then put baby tack on it to see if there was any bind. Rolled again tack didn’t break all,good.all welded up ,ear moved 1/4 ,3/8 of an inch from original position .

Sorry forgot to get finished photos

Time 5.5 hours prep. 2 hours welding
tweak it until it breaks
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

I love how people come to you and already know what it will take to do the work. I used to occasionally take work from people (not welding related) and would sometimes run into similar folks. People who would come to me and say "This is just a small thing, should not take more than "X" amount of time..."

I would usually politely reply that if they have a guy who can do that in that amount of time they should have him do it, because he is clearly far better at this than I am and is giving them a killer deal. I never regretted passing on that sort of work and most of the time DID regret taking work on those terms because I did not think it through.
Bls repair

I usually tell them it takes what it takes . When they tell me it has to be done in two days I ask them ,if I’m not done in two days do you want me to stop. That usually brings on a blank stare :mrgreen:
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Bls repair wrote:I usually tell them it takes what it takes . When they tell me it has to be done in two days I ask them ,if I’m not done in two days do you want me to stop. That usually brings on a blank stare :mrgreen:
lmao :lol:
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I usually tell them it takes what it takes . When they tell me it has to be done in two days I ask them ,if I’m not done in two days do you want me to stop. That usually brings on a blank stare :mrgreen:

THAT is funny.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Amen! I get paid by the hour. If you don’t want me to do any more, ! No big deal pay me what you owe and take your work elsewhere. No shame in telling me my work isn’t up to your standards. No hard feelings. Come back when your ready for my quality at my price.
I have more questions than answers

Josh