What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

The bumper on this style trailer is attached to the sliding axle, and extends back 6 feet from the axle. I've had quite a few issues with the tubing cracking and breaking right at this spot, so since this is a fairly new trailer I thought I might as well make it a more permanent fix rather than fix it every other week. I really like 0.45 dual shield wire for this. Runs nice an spicy, awesome for out of position work. When working off your back on a creeper, on painted rusted steel every advantage helps. The gussets i added are 3/8" plate, hopefully they do the trickImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

so from what I'm reading,,,the bumper moves with the slider? And is not going to come back any further than the rear frame of the trailer. Do they use that to push the rig out of the mud or up hills? Down here the bumper has to be stationary to keep sleeping/distracted 4 wheeler drivers from driving under the trailer.
That almost reminds me of a truss roller a fella was repairing.
Bls repair
    Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:22 pm

Nice :D

BillE.Dee wrote:so from what I'm reading,,,the bumper moves with the slider? And is not going to come back any further than the rear frame of the trailer. Do they use that to push the rig out of the mud or up hills? Down here the bumper has to be stationary to keep sleeping/distracted 4 wheeler drivers from driving under the trailer.
That almost reminds me of a truss roller a fella was repairing.
Wierdly related, this trailer is for hauling trusses. What a coincidenceImage

Yep its a roll off trailer, you slide the axles forward, use the hydraulics to lift the front end till the back is resting on the ground. Which is why bumper has to slide with the axles.

Thanks BLS, figured this might be in your wheelhouse Image

Doesn't show the bumper but ya get the idea I'm sure. Image

BillE.Dee

certainly appreciate the explanation of the operation of that trailer. I can understand where the stress and load can have an effect on the substructure. Ya done good!! surely different from anything we have in my area. Maybe , instead of sliding the bumper could mount on a hinge and when the axle slides forward, the bumper could swing up to cross members ??

BillE.Dee wrote:certainly appreciate the explanation of the operation of that trailer. I can understand where the stress and load can have an effect on the substructure. Ya done good!! surely different from anything we have in my area. Maybe , instead of sliding the bumper could mount on a hinge and when the axle slides forward, the bumper could swing up to cross members ??
Yep thats exactly like one of their other trailers work. But if one of the drivers has a bad day and forgets to raise it before dumping.....bye bye bumper.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:58 pm

Nice looking work.

How thick is the tube you added the gusset to?

Is it fatigue cracking from bouncing up and down on the road, or is it hitting something?

Cheers, Alan

SusKatCas wrote:Nice looking work.

How thick is the tube you added the gusset to?

Is it fatigue cracking from bouncing up and down on the road, or is it hitting something?

Cheers, Alan
Thanks.

Its 2.5" tube, looked like .25 wall. Yeah the bumper extends maybe 6 feet back from that break, and is always bouncing, especially on some of the roads around here.

BillE.Dee wrote:certainly appreciate the explanation of the operation of that trailer. I can understand where the stress and load can have an effect on the substructure. Ya done good!! surely different from anything we have in my area. Maybe , instead of sliding the bumper could mount on a hinge and when the axle slides forward, the bumper could swing up to cross members ??
So the company just bought another brand new trailer, and it seems you been slacking off on the tin foil hat there BillE, because they pumped that noggin of yours dry. New trailers now have a fold up bumper.

Sure it's air actuated and not hydraulic but I imagine they did that to get rid of any suspicion...
ImageImage

BillE.Dee

start buying steel Jay. I think I see the next cluster.