What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
turbo388
    Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:37 pm

I'm doing a custom gas tank pickup/return setup (it's a brand new tank, never seen a drop of gas, so just before it starts, no, I'm in no danger of blowing myself up) and would ideally like to pick up some tubing local. .625OD .058-.065 wall, grade doesn't really matter so 304ss welded tube would be fine. I only need something like two 24" pieces. Problem is I don't know where to start - is this something that's common in a hydraulics shop (have one local but haven't been in there to ask)? There are some steel fab shops local but they only do steel buildings and the like. Any suggestions of what type of place I should be looking for?
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

We purchase ours from a local supplier that is a Rep for Swagelok. In that respect, you can purchase a half length that would more than be enough for you. We use it for teaching orbital welding. Maybe locate a Swagelok Rep in your area?
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

Ha, I like the way you said "before it starts" - you're still bound to get a few people who don't read your post properly. Good luck with your tank

Mick
turbo388
    Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:37 pm

Cool, thanks, looking around the interwebs a bit looks like the local hydraulics shop should have or be able to get what I need.

Here's a pic of what I'm copying. I don't feel bad about stealing the idea as nobody sells a pre-modded tank for my car. Otherwise I'd be happy to just buy one. I plan to solder the (mild steel) plate to the tank instead of TIGing, hopefully if it's tinned right especially on the inside it'll help keep any rust gremlins away.
Attachments
IMG_20110927_125730.jpg
IMG_20110927_125730.jpg (71.13 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
cwood3
    Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:11 pm

................onlinemetals.com

..................onlinemetalsupply.com

or google "online metals" for others
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

That looks like a great site.

Mick