What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Gligor
    Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:59 pm

I'm a member of this forum for a very short time, and I can say that this is the place for me. Everything is well organized, and the topic sections are simply divided. But I'm missing one topic section - DIY. I'm aware that this topic section I'm writing in at the moment includes DIY projects, but here are also a lot of other welding projects, an in my opinion that makes it harder to search for a DIY topics. I sent a message to mr. Jody Collier about this idea - opening new welding topic section "DIY", but I can understand that he is a very busy man, and rarely participates in the forum. So if other admins or moderators are reading this, they can make a decision if this is a good idea or not.
By DIY topic section, I don't mean only DIY welding projects, but every DIY tool or stand or organizer etc. we've built in our own shops.
If admins and moderators decide that this idea is not acceptable, I guess that we can all post some photos from DIY stuff we've built for our workshops and garages, to make some things easier, cheaper and more organized ;)
For example, in the last couple of days, I've made large vise grip plier from one cheap small vise grip plier and two very old solid hacksaw frames.
I've also made organizer for my small angle grinders, and holder for my die grinder (I use only electric power tools, I don't use compressed air tools because they are not cost-effective). On this organizer there is plenty of space left, so I'm planning to put some more power tools on it.
And right now I'm building new big aluminum TIG pedal, the mechanism of the pedal is done, but I'm still waiting for the potentiometer I ordered.
PS: Those are the pictures I had in my phone, I'm going to post more detailed pictures.
Best regards.
vise plier.jpg
vise plier.jpg (143 KiB) Viewed 11356 times
angle grinder organizer.jpg
angle grinder organizer.jpg (56.92 KiB) Viewed 11356 times
IMG_20201230_145517.jpg
IMG_20201230_145517.jpg (34.72 KiB) Viewed 11356 times
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Great idea. It already exists. No welding forum would be rightfully called as such without one. :)

Pretty much any project you're working on can go in there, feel free. Obviously things are centered around welding, but most fabrication projects are generally fine to post, IMO. I mean, I won't care of what DIY modifications you made to your sewing machine (unless its REALLY cool! lol), but so long as things are in the "spirit" of welding/fabrication, I doubt anyone would object to threads of that nature.
Gligor

Oscar wrote:Great idea. It already exists. No welding forum would be rightfully called as such without one. :)
I know that, that's why I posted the topic in this topic section. But I was thinking more like section dedicated to DIY projects. Here I can see a lot of weld repairs, jobsite projects, welding problems/solutions, etc, and It's harder to find DIY topics.
Gligor

I consider myself DIY guy, if I can build it, I'm not buying it (sometimes costs more :lol: ). But I'm also seeking for new ideas, and that's the reason I created this topic. I think it will be easier for a lot of people to find only DIY topics in one section, instead of scrolling/sliding :D

Gligor wrote:
Oscar wrote:Great idea. It already exists. No welding forum would be rightfully called as such without one. :)
I know that, that's why I posted the topic in this topic section. But I was thinking more like section dedicated to DIY projects. Here I can see a lot of weld repairs, jobsite projects, welding problems/solutions, etc, and It's harder to find DIY topics.
IMO, while this is a great forum, it has such little traffic that it would be redundant to have a separate DIY section. It's not like there's hundreds/thousands of DIY projects being randomly posting in all corners of this site that it would necessitate some kind of organization. On the contrary, there's maybe what, 40-50 people that regularly visit (meaning actively participate) on this forum? Give or take. That is very little traffic when you consider that this forum is accessible from all over the planet. This is just my opinion of course, but there is no need to have any more sub-forums than there already are. It's like trying to divide the TIG forum into more subforums like: TIG DC, TIG AC, TIG Pulse, TIG this, TIG that. It's kinda overwhelming when it's "just a few people". You just have to stick around and read threads day-in and day-out, and you will see that DIY is everywhere here. Again, just my take on things.
Gligor

Oscar wrote: IMO, while this is a great forum, it has such little traffic that it would be redundant to have a separate DIY section. It's not like there's hundreds/thousands of DIY projects being randomly posting in all corners of this site that it would necessitate some kind of organization. On the contrary, there's maybe what, 40-50 people that regularly visit (meaning actively participate) on this forum? Give or take. That is very little traffic when you consider that this forum is accessible from all over the planet. This is just my opinion of course, but there is no need to have any more sub-forums than there already are. It's like trying to divide the TIG forum into more subforums like: TIG DC, TIG AC, TIG Pulse, TIG this, TIG that. It's kinda overwhelming when it's "just a few people". You just have to stick around and read threads day-in and day-out, and you will see that DIY is everywhere here. Again, just my take on things.
You got a point. That was just an idea, for me as a new member when I see 40+ pages, it discourages me to sit down and search for DIY projects in this section. But when I think about it, people responsible for this forum should do the same and more, go through all those pages, find the topics and move them in another section. (once I was an admin in one large forum in my country and did the same thing - searched for specific topics that are posted in the last 10 years and move them in another section, but back then I was a teenager, with a lot of free time :D )

You'll soon realize how this forum really works :D Nothing like what you described, but that's not a bad thing. :)
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Gligor wrote:I'm a member of this forum for a very short time, and I can say that this is the place for me. Everything is well organized, and the topic sections are simply divided. But I'm missing one topic section - DIY. I'm aware that this topic section I'm writing in at the moment includes DIY projects, but here are also a lot of other welding projects, an in my opinion that makes it harder to search for a DIY topics. I sent a message to mr. Jody Collier about this idea - opening new welding topic section "DIY", but I can understand that he is a very busy man, and rarely participates in the forum. So if other admins or moderators are reading this, they can make a decision if this is a good idea or not.
By DIY topic section, I don't mean only DIY welding projects, but every DIY tool or stand or organizer etc. we've built in our own shops.
If admins and moderators decide that this idea is not acceptable, I guess that we can all post some photos from DIY stuff we've built for our workshops and garages, to make some things easier, cheaper and more organized ;)
For example, in the last couple of days, I've made large vise grip plier from one cheap small vise grip plier and two very old solid hacksaw frames.
I've also made organizer for my small angle grinders, and holder for my die grinder (I use only electric power tools, I don't use compressed air tools because they are not cost-effective). On this organizer there is plenty of space left, so I'm planning to put some more power tools on it.
And right now I'm building new big aluminum TIG pedal, the mechanism of the pedal is done, but I'm still waiting for the potentiometer I ordered.
PS: Those are the pictures I had in my phone, I'm going to post more detailed pictures.
Best regards.
vise plier.jpg
angle grinder organizer.jpg
IMG_20201230_145517.jpg
I like the colored wrenches. My father in law recently bought a little cheapo powder coating gun and using an old convection oven hes now going around coating everything in sight. Image

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Oscar wrote:You'll soon realize how this forum really works :D Nothing like what you described, but that's not a bad thing. :)
I agree that it's nice in some ways to be part of a forum that is small enough to basically self-moderate, but it's also a bit of a shame that more isn't done with it. It could really grow into something amazing, and relatively quickly, if it was promoted more and given some code upgrades. But that's obviously the choice of the forum owner.

Can you imagine logging on and seeing that HTP or Esab or Lincoln were having a contest for the forum to win one of their welders? Or if those companies had reps actively participating day-to-day? That would be cool.
Gligor

JayWal wrote:I like the colored wrenches. My father in law recently bought a little cheapo powder coating gun and using an old convection oven hes now going around coating everything in sight. Image

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Wow, those are some nice looking wrenches. I wish I had powder coater, but I can't justify buying one because I'm building a workshop, and the powder coater is at the bottom of my list. But I'm sure that I'll try to build one, because I understand the way it works (I've worked as an electrician for a long time, and the past year I painted my chopper with spray cans :lol: Jokes aside, it came out pretty good looking, no paint leaking, no orange peeling)
The wrenches on the first picture with the welding vise grip clamp are test pieces (cheap ones). My grandfather left me a lot of old good quality wrenches, but they are all diferent brands: gedore, unior, facom, dowidat etc. And I decided to paint the handles of the wrenches that I'm going to use, so they kinda blend in, in a way. I have over 150 wrenches left, but I'm not going to paint them all. The downside of painting is if they get in touch with acetone... This is how they are turning out.
IMG_20210116_161830.jpg
IMG_20210116_161830.jpg (137.2 KiB) Viewed 11272 times
Gligor

Spartan wrote: I agree that it's nice in some ways to be part of a forum that is small enough to basically self-moderate, but it's also a bit of a shame that more isn't done with it. It could really grow into something amazing, and relatively quickly, if it was promoted more and given some code upgrades. But that's obviously the choice of the forum owner.

Can you imagine logging on and seeing that HTP or Esab or Lincoln were having a contest for the forum to win one of their welders? Or if those companies had reps actively participating day-to-day? That would be cool.
Everything has advantages and disadvantages. I've been member of a big forum and I can't say I liked it much. A lot of "off topic" posts. A lot of new topics every day, and most of them go down on the list with zero replies. In my opinion, It's kinda hard to follow. I like this forum the most because it's not overcrowded.
On the other hand, I truly believe that this forum deserves way more attention. I hardly see any members outside the US, considering that this forum is worldwide available.
Last edited by Gligor on Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gligor

I've placed some tools on the organizer today, just to get a feel how it's going to look. On the empty space I'm going to put grinding and cutting discs for the grinders. I have other power tools, but I'll see if there is any free space left, after I place the discs on the organizer.
Tell me what you think about this, and give me some other ideas, I have a bunch of tools that I can't find a place for (hand tool and power tools).
IMG_20210119_162439.jpg
IMG_20210119_162439.jpg (59.02 KiB) Viewed 11209 times
IMG_20210119_162459.jpg
IMG_20210119_162459.jpg (59.29 KiB) Viewed 11209 times

Gligor wrote: I've been member of a big forum and I can't say I liked it much. .
Those are the forums that would generate the most revenue from sweepstakes/give-aways which usually require a purchase as an entry for the the contest. I know if I was in charge of such stuff, I wouldn't want to give a way a $2000 welder to a pool of 20 people who each made a $15 purchase. Just doesn't make sense, financially. Because honestly that's what it all boils down to, IMO. I'd want to give away a $2000 welder to a forum that would generate 500-1,000 $15.00 sales as entries to the give away contest. :)
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Oscar wrote:
Gligor wrote: I've been member of a big forum and I can't say I liked it much. .
Those are the forums that would generate the most revenue from sweepstakes/give-aways which usually require a purchase as an entry for the the contest. I know if I was in charge of such stuff, I wouldn't want to give a way a $2000 welder to a pool of 20 people who each made a $15 purchase. Just doesn't make sense, financially. Because honestly that's what it all boils down to, IMO. I'd want to give away a $2000 welder to a forum that would generate 500-1,000 $15.00 sales as entries to the give away contest. :)
No need to sell entries to members at all. Vendors will provide the equipment gratis when appropriate. Their cut in it is that people on the forum talk about the contest (and the product...and the vendor) non-stop during the event. Everybody wins.

Spartan wrote:
Oscar wrote:
No need to sell entries to members at all. Vendors will provide the equipment gratis when appropriate. Their cut in it is that people on the forum talk about the contest (and the product...and the vendor) non-stop during the event. Everybody wins.
I follow your logic, but have yet to see much of that actually take place.
Gligor

Oscar wrote:You'll soon realize how this forum really works :D
I do now, no one is holding the leash...
Spartan wrote: No need to sell entries to members at all. Vendors will provide the equipment gratis when appropriate. Their cut in it is that people on the forum talk about the contest (and the product...and the vendor) non-stop during the event. Everybody wins.
Yes, but that's the problem here. There are no active members, when I'm reading the topics I see the same members replying all the time. Advertising and marketing will increase the numbers, but there is no one to do and finance that. Anyway, the forum is good enough for me, no political crap, no personal advertisement, just a day in - day out chit chat, some new posts, and that's it.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

At the present time, I get enough emails (which I signed up for) from various manufacturers and suppliers showing sales and to enter their promo contests to win products. ....looking for completed surveys ( I DON'T do surveys). Most of them are deleted after reading.
Olecoot
    Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:01 pm

my $.05 Image
Did a search for DIY - Search found 705 matches • Page 1 of 29

Forums in the early 2000's were the place to be, Tons of traffic, etc. around 2009 -2010 the book of faces gained traction and popularity, forum traffic went down..a lot. I own one forum, manage two others, one with over 1.5 mill post,95k members. the vast majority of forum users come looking for answers to a specific question they have, they will join post the question, it gets answered and they are gone. The ones that stay, become active members are what keep forums alive.
Smallish forums like this one serve a very good purpose in that they are dedicated to one thing, you have members who care, who are smart and do not mind helping others. Its a actual community, virtual, but still a community. IMHO it's a well moderated and maintained forum. Users come and go but the core members who are here on a daily basis are the backbone.
Large forums are a huge PITA for admins, mods, etc. it becomes a fulltime job just to maintain and handle the complaints, feedback, issues.
In regards to the asking for an additional sub forum for DIY only, I agree with Oscar. One already exists, the search function works well.
Fame is vapor, popularity an accident, riches take wings. Only one thing endures and that is Character.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

My take on the levels of traffic would be this: guys who weld are mostly not computer geeks, so expecting a huge forum full of people is unlikely. Also, guys who weld for a living probably don't find welding to be much fun in their spare time. Much like those of us with jobs doing something else don't find our job to also be our past time. Be thankful there's some career welders who check in here, and understand that not everyone here is a welding instructor.

Past that, there's a projects section, a general shop talk section, there's tons of diy stuff in there. I'd also point out that any time I visited a forum that had too many sections to look through, I leave. I can't stand having topics all broken up in to a zillion different pages you need to load. If the topics are not exclusive, it's way too much hassle to look through dozens of sections for an interesting post. I simply don't want to load that many pages.
nick121
    Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:33 am

Oscar wrote:
Gligor wrote:
IMO, while this is a great forum, it has such little traffic that it would be redundant to have a separate DIY section. It's not like there's hundreds/thousands of DIY projects being randomly posting in all corners of this site that it would necessitate some kind of organization. On the contrary, there's maybe what, 40-50 people that regularly visit (meaning actively participate) on this forum? Give or take. That is very little traffic when you consider that this forum is accessible from all over the planet. This is just my opinion of course, but there is no need to have any more sub-forums than there already are. It's like trying to divide the TIG forum into more subforums like: TIG DC, TIG AC, TIG Pulse, TIG this, TIG that. It's kinda overwhelming when it's "just a few people". You just have to stick around and read threads day-in and day-out, and you will see that DIY is everywhere here. Again, just my take on things.
It's too bad there isn't more traffic here. I quite like the layout of this forum, weldingweb is much more popular.. Be nice to get more people over here
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Volume isnt my main concern, personally. I figure if we are supposed to be an average of people we hang out with, even virtually, then picking your crowd is important. I like to think that there is a good number of high quality welder fabricators on here and some new guys can pick up alot of good tips and some of us that have been in the trade for a while can help otherswhile we read posts and learn more. I am not a fan of people giving advice that is financially motivated or promotional in nature. I like this site cause its helpful to any level and I hope I am giving back as much as I take from here. I dont look forward to high volumes or people debating pointless issues that dont help someone get the job done. IMO.
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

I tried joining the welding tips and tricks page on FB, no idea if it was founded my jody, or if it just was such a common sense name that a separate individual chose the same name, I'm all for sharing a good natured chuckle at someone's abomination of a weld before trying to help them, or just general "tradesman" humor. But it's turned into a big circle jerk, where decent, even borderline good welds are relentlessly mocked by those who all claim to have the skills of gods yet never provide proof of their 6061.com level skill. I've never picked a fight in my life, though I've won some fights other people picked with me, but If if I'd ever worked with someone so openly disrespectful and mocking as I've seen on the FB page, they'd end up pinned up against a wall in a heart beat. A good shop might good naturedly put you on roast on a somewhat regular basis, but they'll also be the ones to say the nicest stuff about you once you leave. Trades can be rough, but there's no excuse for the behavior I've seen on forums.
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Yup exactly.
There are so many welds that you can see on those places they are so close to success with the right encouragement but all they get is nonsense from idiots. I firmly believe those who criticize regularly, have a limited skill set and it shows when the hit the keyboard. Any one who regularly pushes themselves into other levels and isnt scared to fail now and then, knows not to run the mouth off.
Join a forum they said, it'd be good they said.......argue with people you cant slap instead. None of us have time for that. :lol:
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

To be honest, I quite enjoy sitting down every now and again with a coffee and just reading some of the shenanigans in those comment sections.

The things people will go on about or say when they're behind a keyboard are hilarious sometimes.

Also enjoy reading two fools argue back and forth on the internet about a subject they clearly know nothing about.

But your right, All the ones that get down right derogatory about a weld pic never back up their claims with premium work done by them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Funning around is good for the soul, it helps to laugh at ourselves and each other, BUT, don't ever forget where ya came from. It's ok to have at it for a while, BUT, the time comes to say WHOA, let's get down to reality and help each other. EVERY DAY provides a learning experience, IF it doesn't, you're not living.