What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Jeff2016
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have done some searching, and full disclosure, there were so many table hits when I searched that I didn't go through all of them.

I am interested in buying (or building) a table that can be used as I practice Tig welding.

I have a StrongHands (I believe) table that I've been using. (I actually have a fairly nice fixture table that I bought used a number of years ago that sits pretty low.)

The problem with the portable table is that it sits fairly low (even with the surface raised as tall as possible). The other thing that really is a problem is the fact that there's not a lot of open access to the area below the table, so, getting close to the table, and having free access to the pedal is kind of tough.

I've looked around at tables from places like Northern Tools. They are pretty limited, with some of the same restrictions.

I'd like to be able to sit on a stool and be able to work the pedal, and be able to move my hands freely on the top of the table.

I'd like to find a used table; but, likely won't be that lucky.

Any pics of tables you guys use would be great. Also interested in input on height and other particulars. The StongHands is 33" tall. I'm thinking something between 37" and 40" would be good.

Thanks for any opinions you guys can provide.

Jeff
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

This is the sit down welding table I built. It is 30x30 inches and about 36 inches tall. I made it out of 1 1/2 angle iron. It is a combo cutting and welding table
20170205_112820.jpg
20170205_112820.jpg (50.74 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
20170205_205548.jpg
20170205_205548.jpg (59.84 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
20170205_205612.jpg
20170205_205612.jpg (53.04 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
Multimatic 255
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

This is my other welding table. It is taller and designed as a stand up table. 3 foot x 4 foot. I used 2 inch square tube and a 3/8th inch top
20170806_145804.jpg
20170806_145804.jpg (78.42 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
20170806_135354.jpg
20170806_135354.jpg (48.29 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
Multimatic 255
Jeff2016

Hi Louie,

Those are both great looking tables.

I just started looking at material prices... It's pretty ridiculous what steel costs these days. A little bit of sticker shock. lol

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Two things I'd recommend: make sure your top is large enough to create a 6" overhang to the frame for clamping. For pedal, install a small "pocket" for your stool. Keep the pedal with the stool, then you don't have to kick it around the shop.
av8or1

Hi Jeff-

Well I'll contribute my experience with the welding table oddessey. Although I continue to have hope-on-hope that I'll be able to have a larger workshop someday, if-and-until that day arrives I was forced to consider an outdoor option. I happened across a local fella who had purchased several industrial tables at auction from a materials manufacturing company that had closed-up shop. Anyway he had several of these 4' x 8' tables with 3/4" to 1" top thicknesses. I searched through his inventory, selected one and then brought it home:
My table 8.jpg
My table 8.jpg (78.61 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
I've used it for a number of things since. I don't think that these tables originally served in an outdoor capacity, but they sure do well in that context. This table is indeed tall enough to sit on a stool (or in my case an old Sears barstool type of sitting device) and operate whatever. So it would work in a footpedal TIG configuration, though I suspect that the barstool I typically use would be too tall to operate the pedal. :D At the same time the table isn't too tall either.

I digress. Just an option to consider. If you were local, I'd point you at the fella from whom I purchased mine. The total was $500 cash. Heck, you couldn't even buy the 3/4" table top that is on my table for that much, so IMHO it was a steal.

Good luck!
Jerry
eelman308
    Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:34 pm

https://texasmetalworks.com/product/wel ... t-30-x-48/

I bought this one. Their leg kit can be customized for whatever height you want. Standard is 38". Leg brace allows for sitting and pedal access. Not a top of the line table, but certainly works for what I do.

They are great people to work with and I cannot say enough about the way they handled the minor issue I had (really the shippers fault)
Jeff2016

Hi Jerry,
av8or1 wrote:Hi Jeff-

Well I'll contribute my experience with the welding table oddessey. Although I continue to have hope-on-hope that I'll be able to have a larger workshop someday, if-and-until that day arrives I was forced to consider an outdoor option. I happened across a local fella who had purchased several industrial tables at auction from a materials manufacturing company that had closed-up shop. Anyway he had several of these 4' x 8' tables with 3/4" to 1" top thicknesses. I searched through his inventory, selected one and then brought it home:
My table 8.jpg
I've used it for a number of things since. I don't think that these tables originally served in an outdoor capacity, but they sure do well in that context. This table is indeed tall enough to sit on a stool (or in my case an old Sears barstool type of sitting device) and operate whatever. So it would work in a footpedal TIG configuration, though I suspect that the barstool I typically use would be too tall to operate the pedal. :D At the same time the table isn't too tall either.

I digress. Just an option to consider. If you were local, I'd point you at the fella from whom I purchased mine. The total was $500 cash. Heck, you couldn't even buy the 3/4" table top that is on my table for that much, so IMHO it was a steal.

Good luck!
Jerry
Thanks for the reply. I have been watching for local Craigslist ads and looking for auctions, too. Just haven't found anything close. I also have somewhat limited space, so I don't want to go too crazy with size. I agree... you got a great deal. (I'm a charter member of the "buy high, sell low" club. lol

Jeff
Jeff2016

Hi Eelman,
eelman308 wrote:https://texasmetalworks.com/product/wel ... t-30-x-48/

I bought this one. Their leg kit can be customized for whatever height you want. Standard is 38". Leg brace allows for sitting and pedal access. Not a top of the line table, but certainly works for what I do.

They are great people to work with and I cannot say enough about the way they handled the minor issue I had (really the shippers fault)
I checked them out yesterday afternoon. Thanks for the suggestion.

How long have you had the table?

When I contacted them yesterday I asked about the height. They told me that this smaller table is built to be 36" tall. (If the kit is purchased with casters, the legs are shorter. No casters and the legs are longer. The person I spoke with said that the larger tables are standard at 38" and can be customized in height. Because they chose to standardize things with the smaller table, the height can't be changed. I did suggest that if I need more height with the casters, I could always add spacers between the casters and the legs, and they agreed that would be a good optioin. 36" may actually work well.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Jeff
eelman308

I've only had it about a month now. Height seems ok for me. I guess it really depends on what stool you are using and if it's adjustable. Mine is. Jody has a video on making an adjustable stool for this very reason. I'll see if I can find it.

I'll measure the floor to top height next time I'm down at my dad's shop....be a few days. That said, The top is bolted to the legs so they could be cut and re-drilled prior to assy if you needed shorter. Yes, the casters bolt on so a spacer could be installed if you needed it taller.
eelman308

Jeff2016

Hi eelman,
eelman308 wrote:I've only had it about a month now. Height seems ok for me. I guess it really depends on what stool you are using and if it's adjustable. Mine is. Jody has a video on making an adjustable stool for this very reason. I'll see if I can find it.

I'll measure the floor to top height next time I'm down at my dad's shop....be a few days. That said, The top is bolted to the legs so they could be cut and re-drilled prior to assy if you needed shorter. Yes, the casters bolt on so a spacer could be installed if you needed it taller.
Thanks for your input. If you have time to measure the height, it would be great. Really not necessary, though.

Thanks for the link to the stool build by Jody. I have three shop stools. Two are adjustable. So, I am sure I should be able to come up with something reasonably comfortable.

Take Care,

Jeff