What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
eliotmay
    Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:56 am

I am working on a welding table. I am using a simple design with 1/2 inch steel top 30 x 60, frame and legs of 3/16 thick 2 inch square tube. I am going for a 3 inch over hang. I have a mig 135 from northern, but since im working with 3/16 material i thought it best to use the miller diversion tig. I have it cranked up high and would like input as to the looks of my welds. I thought they look good but im not an expert. Also a question for the forum... the steel table top came today. It has about a 1/4 inch bow on the short side. Length wise it looks ok. I called and told them that that would not do. Can i expect a flat piece? i hope so because im paying 250 dollars for the piece, i hope it will at least start out flat. I dont plan to weld the frame to it, i will bolt it or leave it free, i dont want to warp it if possible.any suggestions or ideas would be nice
Attachments
end frame top small.jpg
end frame top small.jpg (122.23 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
weld 1 small.jpg
weld 1 small.jpg (60.74 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
weld 0 small.jpg
weld 0 small.jpg (135.04 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
Hobby welder
my equipment:
Miller diversion 165
Northern mig 135
Wish list: plasma cutter, miller mig, low rpm chop saw with metal blade, oxy/acet setup, six car garage, modine
eliotmay

some more pix. I will post as the project progresses
Attachments
top frame small.jpg
top frame small.jpg (77.15 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
end frame top small.jpg
end frame top small.jpg (122.87 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
Hobby welder
my equipment:
Miller diversion 165
Northern mig 135
Wish list: plasma cutter, miller mig, low rpm chop saw with metal blade, oxy/acet setup, six car garage, modine
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Nice looking welds!

I would say send the top back if you can. It would be hard to pull out that warp on a 1/2 inch thick piece without major pressure. If you attached it to the table frame as is, i think it would pull up the frame to it and warp the frame.

Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Oh. just kiss my behind. ;)

You knew those were praise-worthy welds when you posted them, didn't you? :D

Steve

P.S. Nice work.
eliotmay

Ha! Thanks Otto!
Hobby welder
my equipment:
Miller diversion 165
Northern mig 135
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

Thats is going to be one hell of a welding table. It certainly won't blow away. (Well twister maybe.)
Big plates of steel are rarely flat especially after oxy cutting or guillotining. If they could cut it they should have been able to straighten it, especially for 250 bones.(ah well, you'll know to ask next time)

Anyway, my experience is that you should never expect anything. If you are hoping that something will be a certain way, always make sure first. I made that mistake with powder coating, didn't want an area coated and thought it was obvious, seems it wasn't.

With your table top, any competent fab with a decent hydraulic press should be able to flatten it for you, providing you can get the plate to them, not so easy with such a big plate. Make a few calls and see how you go.

Good luck
Mick
eliotmay

luckily the guys at Speedy Metals never fail me. They replaced it with a flat piece no questions asked. I live close to them so its easy to run for something, and morning orders are always ready before noon.
Hobby welder
my equipment:
Miller diversion 165
Northern mig 135
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

Thats great that they could help you out. Customer service may live on after all.

Mick
eliotmay

next i have made some footies for skids, these i migged. Then i made some gussets for insurance, migged also. Then some shelf support pieces. Starting to come together. Need two or three able bodies to help me heft the top into place, meet me tomorrow morning sharp!
Attachments
shelf supports in small.jpg
shelf supports in small.jpg (89.81 KiB) Viewed 3383 times
gussets in small.jpg
gussets in small.jpg (96.38 KiB) Viewed 3383 times
footies small.jpg
footies small.jpg (60.66 KiB) Viewed 3383 times
Hobby welder
my equipment:
Miller diversion 165
Northern mig 135
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

How much does the top weigh? You might want to add a fork lift or overhead crane to your wish list. ;)
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
eliotmay

Funny delraydella! 255 lbs for the top, the frame is about 150. I want this beast to be solid and heavy
Hobby welder
my equipment:
Miller diversion 165
Northern mig 135
badvette
    Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:53 pm

250lbs!