What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
b3m
  • b3m
    Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:07 am

Hello, was already registered, but something is mixed up about usernames, so starting over as a noob.
love the videos BTW on you tube.

I tried to post image but it is not working from my server location.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/-lEilEGra5d4/UEKYi ... 25255D.jpg
I just watched your build up video on edges, and got to thinking there is more than e71 general purpose flux core out there.

the rear end in my 80s subaru was a nightmare the day it left the lot 25 years ago.
ten speed tranny, non computer, full draft carb..

I just new I could conquer it, taking advice from a boron type weld on bmws.(quite similar). I went further to add four steel rods, thin, spring core..very lively. I lost five times in as many years, this year after several pounds of painstaking surfacing, long solid beads around the four rods..it finally took my little mig welders high setting, very solidly. the heat stayed in it a long time. slow cool, that is my only win. Very content now, assuming the 80k psi was achieved, I want to do a surface that is to act as very hard, like a hammer.

is there a type of flux core wire, 2 pound reel that can do this?

I have stayed with the e71 for 19 two pound reels. That is the extent of my experience the past several years, since 2007.

about 40 pounds dumped into a japanese car that killed itself with a four lo 4wd.

thanks for advice. Think american truck in the same scenario before answering, this is a subaru that can leap quite a few feet. I am stumped at mig wire choices...seems to be a delicate strong ambigous pain in the butt.
b3m
  • b3m
    Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:07 am

As I pause this project for a season at a time..hoping it takes a possible 28 below zero during winter. I have learned alot about steel. the hardness/brittle battle factor. It has been 5 years of seasons. Steel really can be impressive.
this really has done good.
wandering the forum, checking posts on other wires...
I guess I am right on to be where I am at.

The .030 route has led to hours on this chore, but a precision due to being slow. As ugly as it is..
Another note, this is a big one. The first welder I ever got was generic, ebay, china..after it failed, after 17 mig reels, I found there was no safety labels like the usa would have demanded. I did start on the rear end with that one. It did awesome with sheet metal..but something was just not right with the rear tube. it welded..but not Really felt the way I know when it is good.

the recent mig machine came from tractor supply in a hurry, I needed another machine after the first one broke cheaply.
I noticed right away, this was one had a pleasant feedback, did no bulldozer sparks flying out the other end of the car to unhappy short circuit.
that is when I put two and two together, the polarity may have been backwards on the unsafe first mig machine..and welded anyway.

the tractor supply cheapy did get the job done, the way I know a success.

I guess I had to revive some memory. I am indeed on the correct path already. I turned the corssmember into a spring board so many times, I do have right to keep doubts. This last summers version of hot supper was the most successfully felt out. I'll stay confident.