What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
RonSII
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:53 pm

Well it's been a while since I updated this project, so yesterday I managed to get a little work done on it :)
I had a scrap of 1/8th inch flat bar laying around so last week I drilled some holes in it and made a gearbox mount.
gearbox mounting plate
gearbox mounting plate
driveplate.JPG (130.82 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
After that I found some 1-1/4 tubing and welded that to the back of the mounting plate to provide for an adjustable slide, the 1-1/4 fits inside the 1-1/2 tubing that will be welded to the frame of the trommel.
Gearbox mounting plate being welded to tubing to make adjusting slide
Gearbox mounting plate being welded to tubing to make adjusting slide
driveslide.JPG (147.02 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
Needed another crossbeam on the frame to support the gearbox
Crossbeam and gearbox mounting parts
Crossbeam and gearbox mounting parts
crossmemberslideparts.JPG (245.55 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
RonSII

Here is a pic showing the gearbox and adjusting slide sitting in place to be welded.
Gearbox and slide waiting to be welded
Gearbox and slide waiting to be welded
slideinplace.JPG (215.18 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
Another pic with them tacked in.
slidewelded.JPG
slidewelded.JPG (221.43 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
Another pic with some supports added.
driveslidewelded.JPG
driveslidewelded.JPG (204.38 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
RonSII

Finally managed to round up some sprockets and chain for coupling the drive box to the drum shaft. The chain is #50 roller chain and the sprocket for the drum shaft will be a 13 tooth with a one inch ID that will just be welded to the shaft, the sprocket I'll be putting on the gearbox is an eighteen tooth this will give a little speed increase from the gearbox... not sure if it will be enough so I guess time will tell.... I have a 25 tooth if it's not fast enough but the 25 tooth has a one inch ID and the gearbox has a 7/8th shaft so will have to make a sleeve or something to use it.
sprockets.JPG
sprockets.JPG (155.88 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
And here it is all assembled, still need to add some transversal supports to the slide mount and drill for pins to prevent the gearbox from lifting under load but making some progress anyway.
chaininstalled.JPG
chaininstalled.JPG (142.58 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
Next will have to decide on the motor and how it will be mounted... would like to make it direct drive :? but then I'd have to come up with a coupler and all that.... we'll see I guess.