What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Tally Tig
    Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:57 pm

Nils, I am considering something very similar to what you have started. I am not sure I will go with a large service truck though. I may do a smaller rig on a trailer and maybe a generator for power.

If I do the trailer thing I will probably attend the several "mud truck" events we have locally here every year for some possible business.

I have a few other things in mind but I am still in the equipment acquisition stage.
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

dhazelton wrote:Good for you on reinventing yourself. I was laid off form my last job of 10 years by a new manager who wanted to bring her own cronies in. Said to hell with the business I was in after 25 years and started doing renovation/handyman stuff. I'm not rich but I'm happy. Pulling for you 100 percent. Good luck!
=====

Dhazelton.

Worked in various countries around the world, and in all of them, those that have the 'handyman gift' are always busy working. No matter how super specialized the industrial world becomes ... there is always the need for that clever multi-faceted mind that can 'make it work'.

Alexa
xandrawel
    Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:46 am

If you are planning to build awelding service business what are the things that we should remember? I'm gathering information so that in the end i will not regret.
RPat
    Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Glad to see this thread. I'm gathering equipment NOW so that years down the road when I retire I will have something to keep me occupied (that is: IF I retire).
I'm considering doing the small trailer (small enough for an atv to pull it if necessary) with a mig and portable generator. Currently I'm only doing my own projects but I'm thinking that may expand IF I decide to advertise. But I have a few questions:
#1: while I took welding classes many years ago, I never obtained my certification. Do you need one to start a side line welding business?
#2: Should Insurance, bonding, licensed, etc. etc. etc. be considered?

I only want this to be a part time, work when I want to, type business and not the full blown corporate situation.
Any thoughts are welcome.
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Pat certs are only necessary when you are told they are. If you need to be certified they will ask if you are and if you are not tell them you will test if they need you to. If you feel you need a cert get a D1.1 structural from an AWS accredited school/test site then you will be pretty well covered for most things. I would carry insurance too but don't get extravagant with it unless you need to. If your welding is that bad then you need to leave the machine in the shop. I know there is lots of stupid out there but if you do a good job and have experience to know what is safe and what isn't you will be just fine.
Be the monkey....
RPat
    Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Thanks Nick. I'll keep that type of certification in my back pocket for now.
I'm reading/viewing the posts and video's on this site and applying them in my work shop to hone my skills. I agree with you that if I can perform decently on projects, I'll keep my Miller 212 welder in my shop for personal/family/friend projects. :D
Thanks for the advice.
welditforyou
    Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Say Nils,
New guy here. I fully understand what you're doing with the new biz. I too am 58 and put together a like operation a couple of years ago. I work it mainly on a part time basis, but I still do alright. Sometimes I'm so busy that I would almost quit my day job. Then there are those times when your phone just doesn't ring. I bought a boat trailer with a 3500# axle and did the conversion to an enclosed trailer. When the receipts were added up, I should have bought one that was already built. I would have been time and money ahead. All things considered though, I wouldn't give up self employment for anything short of a winning lottery ticket or a great day job with equally great benefits. I love the independence. I find I need to be careful though in that I have gotten jobs that required some help. Not good for a guy that works by himself. Keep your pricing fair and you'll stay busy when some aren't. Just don't give it away. Too many times I have underbid jobs.
Best of luck to you.

Jim
Don't worry, you can't do anything to it that we can't fix!

HTP 221 tig/stick welder
HTP 2400 mig welder
oxy/acetylene cut & weld
plasma cutter
atlas lathe
and a bunch of other stuff
2 TIG FINGERS and 2 WT&T T-shirts